PDA

View Full Version : Any update on E. coli on the lower A?

Sheepdog8404
05-16-2018, 11:45 PM
I'm curious if there has been any new information on the high E. coli levels detected around Discovery park. I couldn't find anything saying it was all clear or safe.

Darian
05-19-2018, 02:58 PM
The people who do the testing on water quality are county health department and water distribution agency. They're the people to contact concerning any current test results.

But, all you have to do is take a look at the number and size of homeless encampments along the lower river combined with the street drainage outfalls that drain all of the effluent off areas where there're more homeless encampments, all with no bathroom facilities to know the general answer to your question. Is it safe??? The newspaper article that reported the increased levels of E Coli in Discovery Park, mentioned that there's always a low level of E Coli in the river but concentration increases with low flows.

Another concern might be the mercury load in valley rivers left over from the gold rush days. Between E Coli, the mercury and "bugs" that live in the river, I wouldn't keep any fish caught or wade in it without waders....