PDA

View Full Version : Spinning rig for shad?

Sheepdog8404
05-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Planning on taking my wife out to the river as soon as finals are over. I think she'd have a blast catching some shad but she has almost no desire to learn to fly fish, believe me I've tried....

I figure if I can at least get her on a spinning rig, which she is very familiar with, it could be a fun experience for the both of us. Thanks for the help!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-08-2018, 09:36 PM
You can use a clear plastic bubble with as much leader as you an handle (6'?) and a Shad fly.

I think they cast straight across and then let it swing down to straight below you.

If you go early or late in the day starting when you hear big numbers here she should get some.

winxp_man
05-08-2018, 10:35 PM
My brother used spinning gear for a while before I got him into a fly rod some odd years back. He used a medium heavy rod, 8 lbs ultragreen maxima line. For the bait.... A bloody maria, 5 ft leader, which would be tied up to a barrel swivel. Then put on a 1/8 to 1/4 pencil slider sinker on the main line. Then tie up the main line on the barrel swivel. trick is to be just off the bottom. You can hug the bottom. Just a tick here and there. Hope this helps some ;)

Sheepdog8404
05-08-2018, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the help Bill and Aron! Both of those rigs are relatively similar to what I was cooking up to get a similar presentation to what I get fly fishign for them. Hopefully I can get her catching some fish, boost the confidence and then offer her the fly rod. :rolleyes:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-09-2018, 06:52 AM
I think winxp_man's rig would also work in the day time too when they are deeper, where mine is probably only going to work in the morning and evening.

Let us know how it goes.......

KSB209
05-09-2018, 07:06 PM
On the American the last couple years I was using a 6’6” spinning rod with 8# test, barrel weight and about a 3’ leader. Used the small curly tail plastic grubs I think they were about 3/4” in chartreuse and orange. Did well but I want to get back into fly fishing so this season will be my fly rod and the spinning rod as a backup In case my casting sucks and I can’t catch anything

Darian
05-10-2018, 11:02 AM
You may already be aware but just as a caution, DFW has recently adopted a new restriction on length of leader between weights and terminal lure/hook/fly. Be careful not to exceed the allowed length. Check it out:

"2.05. Leader Length Restriction.
It shall be unlawful to use any configuration of fishing tackle in anadromous waters unless the distance between the terminal hook or terminal lure and any weight attached to the line or leader, whether fixed or sliding, is less than six feet. For purposes of this section, “weight” includes any product used to submerge the line or leader, including non-buoyant artificial flies or artificial lures, but does not include integrated or sinking fly fishing lines, lead core lines used while trolling from a boat, dropper weights used while trolling from a boat, or clipped weights used with downrigger systems."