PDA

View Full Version : Baja and Yellow Fin time

Baja Fly Fisher
05-07-2018, 03:25 AM
Here's a short, well it's actually kinda long story on first day fishing at Las Arenas. The tuna bite was hot today, nobody left to search for dorado. A few were caught by conventional guys trolling live sardina's. You have to go to my FB page to see the photo's. I can't figure out resizing photo's to get them on this site. Lo Siento.
Have a good day everyone

First day in Baja has come and gone. The first day was overcast most of the morning but cleared up by the time we got off the water. Bait was a long ways away, almost to the north end of the island but who's complaining, we have bait and the bait is big. In the photo is a 7" fly below is one of the sardina's, probably measures 6". We got a lot of bait the first load, enough to last most of the morning. We started out hitting the roosters area on the island, found some but they were eating the bait but not the fly. After an hour of casting we decided to head out to a little deeper water and that's where we found part of the fleet and jumping/feeding yellow fin. It took a while to get the hanging of casting with my right arm and through the boat. I had Efren weaving and bobbing to stay away from the fly.
On the second strip of my 20th cast, maybe more, GRAB and I mean GRAB. This fish was peeling line off my reel like a big GT was hooked to the other end. Then came the cluster f****. I picked up my left foot to keep from stepping on the line and the next thing I know, I had my leg between the line and the rod. Now comes the fun part, as this YF was heading south, my left leg became the problem. The 50lb braided line was cutting into the back of my knee. Efren came to or tried to come to the rescue. By this time the line was cutting into the skin and he tried to grab the line and stop the fish. It must of burned his hand because he let go real fast. Finally the fish slowed just enough to get my leg out and away from the rod. By then the braid had cut my skin, not bad but it burned and still burns like hell.
Landed the YF 25 minutes later and it boga'd 28lbs. I could of swore it was at least 50. Second fish came pretty quick, even landed it in a short time, that one was 24lbs. All these fish were caught on a TFO TiCrX 10wt. A couple of exceptions, the stripping guide insert popped out and the frame that holds the in the insert, cracked so my fly line was outside the guide. Long story short, it's now chewed up. A brand new RIO intergrated line all chewed up., One broken stripping guide. Also had a reel freeze up for some reason and the floating part of my the snapped. My partner hooked 7 dropped 6 and landed 1. His first salt water fly fishing trip, his first salt water species. He could be hooked. Six more weeks here in Baja, so we'll see what else can happen.

Darian
05-07-2018, 04:15 PM
WOW!!! Exciting stuff. You're going to have to get some basketball knee pads. I've wrapped one Tcr, 10 weight rod using the hardware kit from TFO and Renee had a TFO, 10 weight made as well. Each rod had the insert pop out at the first, largest stripping guide. Luckily, I spotted them and we switched rods. But, it wouldn't be good while attached to a good size Tuna.... Do you have to go to the north end of the island to get the first load of bait???