PDA

View Full Version : TFO bvk 7 wt rod

KSB209
04-29-2018, 02:40 PM
Took my new rod down to the American today to play with it. Do you need to up line these rods? I have a 250 grain sink tip line on a 9’6” TFO bvk rod and it just didn’t really feel like it was loading well. Half of it could be that my casting is a bit rusty (its been a few years since I have picked up a fly rod). I also have a 7 wt floating line but wondering if I should return it for a 8 wt line.

My other rods are all a bit older and I have always just used 6 with a 6 wt and 4 with a 4 wt but it seems that many of you guys are using heavier lines on these newer rods. Any thoughts or suggestions?

willies99
04-29-2018, 02:49 PM
KSB,

I would take the rod to the shop and try their 7 and 8 wt test floaters on it. The lines are usually a bit beat, but you should be able to get a feel for which line weight you and the rod like best. Then you can exchange the line, if needed. And then buy more lines to keep it well fed. Ha ha

My 2 cents,
Dan

Dave E.
04-29-2018, 02:58 PM
My wife has a 9' for 7 BVK, she runs a 240 grain shooting head on at times but she also uses it with WF-8 Bonefish & Redfish lines. When I've cast her set up, it feels like she's got the rod dialed in.

Dave