PDA

View Full Version : Upper Sac and Pit

TroutHunter10
04-27-2018, 08:59 AM
I'm headed up to fish the McCloud this week (during the week) and am trying to figure whether to fish the Pit or Upper Sac over the weekend.

The Upper Sac is flowing around 700cfs and Pit is running at 550cfs. Both are a bit high.

Anyone have experience fishing either at those flows? Any info is helpful! I'll report back after our trip.

Thanks.

PV_Premier
04-27-2018, 09:12 AM
Upper Sac is pushy at 700, but fishable...stick to the edges...probably don't need to wade much. Ted Fay Fly Shop would be a good call to make before heading that way, see if they have any reports or intel.

I am not much of a Pit expert but I think it usually runs around 450, so 550 is high but probably fishable.

TroutHunter10
04-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks, PV. I fished the Pit during the later summer months when the flows were around 350. As we all know, the Pit is tricky enough to wade at normal flows but the fishing is worth it. Im still torn.

SST Flies
04-27-2018, 10:18 AM
I fished the Upper Sac on Wednesday. Running 750-ish, but gin clear. The lower end (below Dunsmuir) was sketchy wading and moving at a pretty good clip. However, I did find a few in the edges and pocket water. Mostly PMDs (size 18 and 20s) and really small caddis (couldn't catch one to ID) were out and about.

I moved above the town and water was slightly easier wading (still use caution). I picked apart the water in the town park and did pretty good in the pockets. A lot of giant stones taking to the air- especially in the parking lot. Did well on size 8 black stonefly nymphs and various caddis larva patterns. Make sure you have a little fire orange tied into them!

Your going to need a decent amount of weight added to hit bottom! My stones were tied with 4mm and 3.5mm tungstens beads!

I was strictly Euro nymphing with my anchor either a golden or giant stonefly.

Rain is in the forecast for the weekend. Should keep people home...

TroutHunter10
04-27-2018, 10:47 AM
thanks, SST. Much appreciated. Did you fish anything above Mossbrea falls? you think the flows will be more manageable the further up river?

EricO
04-27-2018, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't mess with the Pit at 550 cfs. It's normally 330 cfs, so 200 cfs higher
would make it very difficult, imho. I won't fish it until it comes down to normal.

Eric

SST Flies
04-27-2018, 12:01 PM
thanks, SST. Much appreciated. Did you fish anything above Mossbrea falls? you think the flows will be more manageable the further up river?

I ran out of time to fish further up the system. However, I am going to watch the water levels tonight and tomorrow. I may head back up Sun or Mon if it looks decent. I should have started up high, but I knew no one would be brave enough to fish south of town!

Keep us posted!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2018, 12:22 PM
http://www.tedfay.com/guidenotes/

Upper Sac report - April 26, 2018