PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac Flows question.

Eckman
04-26-2018, 05:08 PM
I was planing to book a trip on the lower Sac 4/29.

I noticed that flows have doubled (3200-6400).

Is this a bad thing? I am guessing the guide would say "no".

Advise?

cdevine
04-26-2018, 06:23 PM
The quick answer is no. I fished it in the 3k range a few times and it was great because you could wade a lot of spots. The pmd dry fly action was great. 6k makes it pretty much a drift boat game so a lot less pressure from people wading. This river fishes well up at big flows. I’ve caught plenty of fish at 15k cfs and 10k cfs. 6k is not big at all. If it’s stable that is what matters. You should do well.

Chris Gearhart
04-26-2018, 07:09 PM
Eckman more good news the flows are scheduled to increase to 7k by the 29th. ITs not so much the flow its the change in flows that can make fish unhappy for a couple of days. That said we have been out all week during the increases and have been finding fish. We are working harder than a week ago but not horrible.

You should ultimately trust your guide. Thats part of what your paying them for. Reputable guides will give you an honest report on how fishing has been for them.

Bottom line..... HAVE FUN!! There is no place like the Sac!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2018, 07:01 AM
The Lower Sac has a very large population of big wild Rainbow trout that is fishable almost year round.

Many go to Alaska to get this size fish on a fly.

Woodman
04-27-2018, 09:22 PM
Good news is there will be more room for fish. When is was at 3250 cfs with every person within 100 miles who had a drift boat it was a bit of a circus...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-28-2018, 08:42 AM
My good friend and veteran Nor Cal drift boat guide Lincoln Gray said he likes a constant flow of 4,000 to 8,000 cfs on the lower Sac.

His favorite time to fish there are March - May and Oct - Jan on average.

Lincoln Gray's web site:

http://lgflyfishingadvent.wixsite.com/website