PDA

View Full Version : 2018 trout opener

PV_Premier
04-24-2018, 09:17 AM
Who has got plans to head out?

I've got a few things bouncing around in my brain, but wondering how much of an issue that flows are going to be on some of the streams I have in mind.

KSB209
04-25-2018, 09:36 AM
I’ll be heading up Hwy-50 today or tomorrow to check out a few creeks I want to fish. Will report back what I see but looks like flows are going to be up

PV_Premier
04-27-2018, 09:13 AM
KSB, I saw your post on the Silver Fork AR, which was about what I would have expected to hear. Did you peek at any other feeder streams to the American River?

Morgan
04-27-2018, 01:54 PM
There is a decent amount of snow up here in the mountains still. Creeks and rivers are high and off color due to all the recent warm 70+ degree weather for a few days. Lots of the lakes are still frozen as well.

PV_Premier
04-27-2018, 03:40 PM
There is a decent amount of snow up here in the mountains still. Creeks and rivers are high and off color due to all the recent warm 70+ degree weather for a few days. Lots of the lakes are still frozen as well.

I am not expecting much but it feels sacreligious not to fish on opening day. I have a few barely-named blue lines at 2000-3000' elevation on the 50 and 80 corridors that I think will yield some fish. Some of the lesser known dam controlled streams and rivers will probably also be OK.

In an ideal world I would go to the McCloud but I don't have time this weekend :(

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-27-2018, 04:46 PM
On openers in Nor Cal people look for low elevation tributaries of larger streams. low to mid-elevation lakes, tail water streams and Spring feed streams.

Find some water that is above 50 degrees?

Mark Kranhold
04-29-2018, 01:37 PM
Great opener yesterday swinging and stripping streamers in the sierras! Love Gary Anderson’s 2wt troutspey for this river! Water was high, so fished all the summer frog water sections which were just exactly perfect! 14129

cdevine
04-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Nice job! Cool pics. I fished the Truckee a couple days but honestly I fish year round as do many of us on the site. So the last weekend in april to me is must another day. I know everything opens up which is great because there are so many amazing spots.

The Truckee is in great shape. Nowhere near as high and off color as last year. In fact I was amazed about how quickly the snow pack is going. I really expect most of the free stones to be in great shape by late May/early June. Flows on Truckee are around 900 in town and about 1100 in the canyon. Last year it was 3x that around the same period but fished excellent even at high flows. Water temps are in the 45-49 degree range and pretty clear. (bluish/green but visibility a few feet). I didn't have any success on streamers. When water gets into lower 50's I think that game will open up. It was all typically winter stuff. (eggs, worms, stones). I picked up a few nice rainbows and browns but I worked for them and it was windy, cold, and a bit nasty at times. Tough to get a good drift. Also got a few 10-12 inch rainbows from spawn 2 +years ago post drought. Great news because another good water year and these fish are going to be the 14-18 inch fish we catch next season.

Hope valley area is totally clear of snow and West Carson a very fishable 300CFS. Last year I was trekking through 2 feet+ this time of year and when it blew out the entire meadow was under water. I'm of the opinion a lot more of these streams are going to fish well early this year. EC still high and off color but that is very normal for this stream early on. (900 CFS). I like this fishery a little later in the season when the river color improves and flows drops.

Even though march-April was epic we only got 70% of our snowpack. Difference this season is reservoirs are full from 2016-17 so tail waters will thrive like EW, Little T, etc.

Looking forward to best fishing in several years. So far so good.

tcorfey
04-30-2018, 12:26 AM
Hat Creek fished well and was well attended both Saturday and Sunday, had to be willing to put up with the downpours and sleet. But as a consolation whenever it rained or sleeted a hatch came off and that was the best time to get on the fish with some dry flys. Still got a couple between storms too. Average fish 10-14 inches mostly rainbows a couple of browns.

Regards,
Tim C.

PV_Premier
04-30-2018, 07:28 AM
nice reports, girlfriend and i explored a couple of mid-elevation small streams, beautiful country but limited success owing to cold water and the less than ideal weather. out of town next weekend but hopefully with the warming conditions, the following weekend will mark greater success rates for us.

goby
04-30-2018, 08:29 AM
Hat Creek fished well and was well attended both Saturday and Sunday, had to be willing to put up with the downpours and sleet. But as a consolation whenever it rained or sleeted a hatch came off and that was the best time to get on the fish with some dry flys. Still got a couple between storms too. Average fish 10-14 inches mostly rainbows a couple of browns.

Regards,
Tim C.

Wow, I was thinking of going there this week. It's 2 hours away, but 10-14 inches? That's the size of Hat Creek trout? Those are some small fish.

TroutHunter10
04-30-2018, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the report everyone. Anyone get up to the McCloud? I'll be up there wed-fri and am happy to report back to folks.

Thanks.

cdevine
05-01-2018, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the report everyone. Anyone get up to the McCloud? I'll be up there wed-fri and am happy to report back to folks.

Thanks.

Give Bob at Ted Fay's a buzz. He's always my go to guy when I hit that area. Stop in and buy a few things if you do go. Bob likes' the company. Friend of mine went and he said fished pretty well but cold and nasty at times. Water in great condition (low 200's CFS near Ash) I like to go a little later when the stoneflies start poppn and fish are active. (late May early June). Like so many places if you can get up there on a weekday its so nice and quiet.

KSB209
05-01-2018, 05:22 PM
I have a hall pass on Thursday. Where should I go and what should I bring? I hate to be the new guy asking a bunch of questions but I would really like to find some new water to fish. I’ll be solo with my 4wt in tow and any tip on fly patterns would be awesome

PV_Premier
05-01-2018, 05:56 PM
ideal would be the lower sac, upper, or mccloud. too far to drive for one day. "locally", the truckee is fishing well and if i had thursday off that is where i would go.