PDA

View Full Version : Belize ?s

Dfreed
04-22-2018, 12:56 PM
I posted this in saltwater as well, but being new to your forum figured that it may be appropriate to post my query here too.

I've got a chance to get down to Belize this July to fly fish and, on a limited budget and traveling alone, I'm going to have to do-it-myself for most of my days. (Anyone wanna go?)I've looked at a number of options - ex.combining 2 fine spots on Ambergris, but I've found some options out in the atolls that look (on google maps) to be awesome - flats, mangrove lagoons and cuts between various coral outcroppings.
Anyone have any info about Blackbird resort on Turneffe atoll, the Marisol on Glovers or Itzalodge on Lighthouse?
Any info on DIY fishing in Belize would also be welcome!
Thanks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2018, 03:32 PM
I took groups to Belize for about 30 years.

We fished out of the El Pescador Lodge, the Belize River Lodge, the Blue Horizon Lodge, the Turneffe Flats Lodge, the Tarpon Cay Lodge and several trips based in Placencia, Belize.

In all that travel I did not see a very good place to DIY without a boat and guide.

You can wade for miles in the early morning along the east shore of Ambergris Cay.

Without a boat and guide you will not do too well.

You might rent a kayak and have a way to get around some?

Maybe somebody will come on here and have a good idea.

You might also post this on Dan Blanton's message board.

FISHEYE
04-22-2018, 07:45 PM
I have been fishing in Belize for almost 20 years. I agree with Bill. Without a boat and guide you are pretty much wasting your time. You might luck into a fish on Ambergris or Caye Caulker but the chances are slim.

Jake B
04-22-2018, 09:37 PM
Wife and I are going to El Pescador Lodge in June. Taking the kids as well. I’m fishing for 6 days there in hopes of getting the slam and they’re doing the eco tours. I can’t wait and will give you a post. I heard the same info as what Mr Kiene said.. get a guide. So I saved for a year and did. Slam is a far shot I know but it’s a goal. Jake

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2018, 09:54 PM
The Bahamas are probably the best bet for a DIY with and without guides.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-22-2018, 09:55 PM
I have been fishing in Belize for almost 20 years. I agree with Bill. Without a boat and guide you are pretty much wasting your time. You might luck into a fish on Ambergris or Caye Caulker but the chances are slim.

Yes, Cay Caulker would be a good bet for some wading and get a guide for a day or two.

Dfreed
04-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info. Sadly I just can't afford the full-service resorts.
I will have access to a kayak and stand up paddle boards, so access to mangrove lagoons and nearby flats shouldn't be a problem.
The Itza lodge is located on Long Caye on Lighthouse Atoll. As there do not seem to be any fishing lodges out there, should I assume that the fishing just isn't as good as, say Turneffe atoll? Or is it just unnecessarily too far when Turneffe is so much closer? It does look good on google maps.
I believe that you mentioned Blackbird in one of your posts. Did you fish that region?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-23-2018, 07:24 AM
There are three atolls out past the barrier reef that I believe all have some possibilities to stay at.

I have been to Turneffe Atoll and their was three dive/fishing resorts out there.

Turneffe Island Lodge, Turneffe Flats Lodge and Blackbird Resort.

You boat out to all those resorts.

All going to be expensive.

Lighthouse Atoll use to have a dive lodge out there.

You use to fly out to that atoll.

There is the famous Blue Hole out there.

Then you have Glovers Atoll, the most remote to the South.

There use to be a few placs to stay out there that were fairly resonable.

I had a friend go there with his wife to dive out of a resort/lodge.

I think he talked about doing fishing on your own there.

You could go to Cay Caulker and get a less expensive place to stay and fish some on your own.

Nor Cal guide Fred Gordon use to go there some years ago.

I think he did some fishing on his own and did have a guy with a boat take him out to some more remote flats.

Contact travel expert Mary Toy who has web site "Destinations Belize" for any information on Belize.

http://www.destinationsbelize.com/

She might be able to find you a good location.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-23-2018, 08:54 AM
Here is a email I just received from Mary Toy in Placencia, Belize after a short phone call this morning:

Hi Bill:

Glovers:

Tell him to try Glover’s Reef Atoll - as I indicated by phone, it’s more like camping than anything else, but it’s inexpensive (way more than Marisol) if he goes out there with the weekly boat. As I also said, the people there are bit “different,” but Becky Cabral whose family owns Glover’s Reef Atoll, knows her fly fishing in the area - http://glovers.com.bz/

He can also probably get a local guide in Placencia to take him out to Glovers for the cost of gas if he’s wiling to go with one of the less-reliable guides (in terms of showing up on time) and is ingratiating.

Placencia:

Also, fishing from the point in Placencia is pretty good around the full moon – but it’s not wade fishing. Tradewinds Hotel is right there, great location, maintenance can sometimes be iffy, but it’s an absolutely beautiful spot. No Website – he’ll have to email Janice Leslie, who owns Tradewinds - trdewndpla@btl.net. I believe Tracey Eiley is managing Tradewinds right now.

Other less expensive places include Sea Glass Inn (owned by Americans and located in Bakader on the other side of the dock from Tradewinds), Harry’s Cabanas (in the same general area as Sea Glass and Coconut Cottage just north of the point. (Kay Westby owns Coconut Cottage – US but has lived in Placencia forever and was the wife of Joel Westby, who you might have known - http://coconutcottage.net/.)

Hope this helps.

Great talking to you this morning!

Mary Toy

http://www.destinationsbelize.com/

Dfreed
04-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the intel!
I'll follow up with Mary!