PDA

View Full Version : Where to family fish around Nevada City?

jnesheim
04-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Where would you recommend taking my 8 year old grand daughter and her mom and dad to fish around the Nevada City area? They are beginning fly fishers. We'll be camping there in June. I'd especially appreciate tips on streams, ideally a meadow with winding flow, lots of smaller, eager fish. Thanks to you in advance.

JOHN

Woodman
04-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Where would you recommend taking my 8 year old grand daughter and her mom and dad to fish around the Nevada City area? They are beginning fly fishers. We'll be camping there in June. I'd especially appreciate tips on streams, ideally a meadow with winding flow, lots of smaller, eager fish. Thanks to you in advance.

JOHN

Depending on your timing in June and the flows at the time, I'd go up the road to the North Fork Yuba and its tributaries

jnesheim
04-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Thanks, Woodman, I examined the map and see several alternatives, rivers and creeks. Looks like just what I was looking for! Thanks a lot.

JOHN

Jake B
04-19-2018, 10:38 PM
Those fish love the stimulators on the north fork!!

hwchubb
04-20-2018, 01:48 PM
And Royal Wulffs. And Parachute Adams. Head upstream of Sierra Cityand you’ll find lots of willing, if small, fish, with few people. The only variable is the flows - if they are down, and June might be iffy this year, it’s a great area, but high water will make it a poor choice. Great spot to bring beginners, and there is a great ice cream shop in Downieville to finish off the day.

PV_Premier
04-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Woodman, I examined the map and see several alternatives, rivers and creeks. Looks like just what I was looking for! Thanks a lot.

JOHN

Just one thing to be aware of. Some of the feeder creeks are not beginner friendly because of steep gradients and difficult access. Goodyears Creek is a good one, gentle gradient and easy wading.

Watch for rattlesnakes.

wineslob
04-23-2018, 12:21 AM
You could also try the creeks (Texas being one) that cross the road to Bowman Lake.

Rockman
04-23-2018, 07:09 AM
If you like easier walking, you may try Bear Creek below the lake Spaulding dam. Nice big meadow to walk. Just take Hwy.20 out of Nevada City, turn right before you get to where the creek crosses Hwy 20. Should be a sign and it is obvious that you are at the low point in the road, if you start going back up the grade, you went to far. Our first club did some stream repair and restoration many years ago, it should be an enjoyable hike through the meadow.
Have fun!

jnesheim
04-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Wow, you guys are terrific! I'm making notes and creating my file. Been looking at map details and am very appreciative of your access tips, dos and don'ts. We'll arrive last weekend in June, so am hoping flows are down by then, am monitoring now, that's always fun to see the graphs and dream.

BobVP
05-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Hey Rockman,
I was just over that way and I tried to find access off Zeibright Road (I think that was the turn you were describing) and it is all posted: Private Road; No Trespassing...etc. I saw nothing that indicated there was open access to the Bear from that road.

Bob G
05-14-2018, 07:13 PM
John -

There are some great activities for an 8 year old in the area...let me know where you will be camping and I would be happy to send along some ideas.

Best, Bob