PDA

View Full Version : Silver Fork AR

KSB209
04-17-2018, 11:09 AM
First post here but have been reading the boards for awhile now. A lot of great info being shared.

So maybe someone can help me. I am relatively new to fly fishing but have been “trying” off and on for some time. I want to get going again. I plan on heading to the Silver Fork of the American for the opener in a couple weeks if it is not blow out. My knowledge of “matching the hatch” is almost nonexistent. What flies should I bring with me? I’ll have a 4wt rod with floating line and a 2nd spool with a sink tip. If needed I also have a 6wt with the same types of lines too but I really think my 4wt will be sufficient up there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sheepdog8404
04-17-2018, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the forum! I bet the Silver Fork will be blown still but if you’re eager to go, why not check it out and report back on the conditions. I’d take the 4wt with both lines. If the water is high, fish small streamers in the softer water. If you find good pools throw a big bushy dry like a Stimulator with a heavy nymph dropper. Keep it simple and they’ll eat.

KSB209
04-17-2018, 07:22 PM
I was planning to take a look this weekend if I have time. Will post what I see if I do

JasonB
04-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Definitely on the high side right now. Dreamflows has an estimate flow for the silver fork (just an estimate, but it’s usually at least in the right ballpark range) http://www.dreamflows.com/graphs/day.624.php. I’d venture that much above 300-350cfs would be tough fishing for the most part? Clarity should be fine, but if it were me I’d look to some smaller stuff right now until the snowmelt starts to abate a bit.

In terms of “matching the hatch”, I think that most of the Sierra freestone streams up that high contain comparatively sparser hatches. In other words the fish don’t tend to be as picky about the fly pattern (obviously there are exceptions to this). Size and presentation are much more critical imo. Good luck wherever you end up
JB

KSB209
04-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Well I made the trek up to the Silver Fork or the AR today. It is not fishable. Water is high and running fast. Maybe a few pockets and pools but there was a lot of white water flowing in most areas. Now it time to find someplace else for the opener.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-25-2018, 06:42 PM
June is a good month on average for mid-elevation (3,000' - 6,000') trout streams.

Or check the water looking for something over 50 degrees.

Trout seem to be active in 55 to 65 degree water.

If you are going up there dozens of times this summer just be sure some are in June and some are in October.

This is just old average info that is not the only or final answer.

KSB209
04-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Yeah I agree last year I was up there July 4th weekend. It was busy but the water was pretty fishy.