PDA

View Full Version : 3 Weight Rod Shopping

Scott L
04-17-2018, 09:39 AM
Hi!
I am in the market for a 3 weight rod and have a budget of up to $200. I have been looking at the TFO 7'9 Lefty Kreh Finesse model and the Echo Carbon 7'3 XL model as the front runners. Looking for a rod to fish small streams that excels at accuracy and light presentation. Just checking to see if anyone can weigh in or provide any input on these 2 rods to help guide me with my decision....or if there are any other rods you would suggest in that price range. Thanks everyone much appreciated!

-Scott

cdevine
04-17-2018, 10:30 AM
In terms of price point the reddington butterstick isn't bad. I have one in a 7"6 3WT and I enjoy it on small streams, crappie/bluegill with kids, and some higher elevation brookies/goldens. Want to say its $199 or $249. I have an Orvis Superfine in a 3WT as well. (only Orvis rod I have). I enjoy that one as well. its a little slow action for some though. I can't really come to grips with spending big bucks on a rod below a 4WT. My 4-5WT's are Scott/Sage but they are used 90% of the time.

I had a TFO BVK 10 4wt a few years back and honestly it was a really nice high stick rod. Otherwise I don't have any experience with Echo.

Jeff F
04-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Definitely pass on the Echo Carbon. I have one, and never liked it. It was way to noodle-y, and just didn't cast well.

I replaced that 3wt with the Echo3, which I now own four of (3,4,5, and 6wts). Out of your price range though, but a very good rod.

Probably a good idea to go to a flyshop and cast a few models.

Ned Morris
04-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Cabelas Stowaway 863-6 $150

8' 6" 3 wt. and casts perfectly not to mention can take it anywhere. I love it!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-17-2018, 02:35 PM
If the 3 weight you pick has a fast tip it might end up being a 4 weight rod?

I like 7'6" to 8' in a #3 weight for small stream dry fly.

Call Kiene's Fly Shop and ask Andy what he likes.

EricO
04-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Redington Vice. Only $199 at Kiene's, and a dollar less than your budget. :)

The $1 extra can be used for the Lotto.

There's a Youtube shootout against the Sage X, and it does very well.

Eric

Troutstalker55B
04-17-2018, 05:06 PM
Redington Vice. Only $199 at Kiene's, and a dollar less than your budget. :)

The $1 extra can be used for the Lotto.

There's a Youtube shootout against the Sage X, and it does very well.

Eric

The Vice is awesome, I have two for my guests when I'm guiding on the North Fork Yuba River. I also have two Redington "Classic Trout" 3 weights, a inexpensive rod that is surprisingly good as well. If you really want a sweet glass rod, call up Dan LeCount and he will build you a rod with a Yasuyuki Kabuto blank. I got a chance to cast one of these rods a few years back and it was really sweet. - J.

Fly Right
04-18-2018, 08:51 AM
In terms of price point the reddington butterstick isn't bad. I have one in a 7"6 3WT and I enjoy it on small streams, crappie/bluegill with kids, and some higher elevation brookies/goldens. Want to say its $199 or $249. I have an Orvis Superfine in a 3WT as well. (only Orvis rod I have). I enjoy that one as well. its a little slow action for some though. I can't really come to grips with spending big bucks on a rod below a 4WT. My 4-5WT's are Scott/Sage but they are used 90% of the time.

I had a TFO BVK 10 4wt a few years back and honestly it was a really nice high stick rod. Otherwise I don't have any experience with Echo.

I have a 7'6" Butterstick which is my "go to" rod for small stream and creek dry fly fishing. A true glass rod that is silky smooth when matched with a DT 3wt line. I also have a 8'6" TFO Professional 3wt. This rod is a little more versitle and I use it when high sticking (don't bobber fish) or if it is breezy. All things considered the Butterstick is more fun to catch fish with. Both are in your price point.

OceanSunfish
04-18-2018, 10:06 AM
Redington Classic Trout...... 386-4 or 376-4 The CTs are well liked in the 3 weight category.

Be patient..... every now and then, Cabelas will run an unadvertised special on the CTs and certain FF forums will announce, etc. Under $100, sometimes $79.

A great value and tool for 'creek' fishing in the Sierras and you will not mind rockhopping the boulders or climbing through willows/bushes with this rod either.....

PV_Premier
04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Redington Classic Trout...... 386-4 or 376-4 The CTs are well liked in the 3 weight category.

Be patient..... every now and then, Cabelas will run an unadvertised special on the CTs and certain FF forums will announce, etc. Under $100, sometimes $79.

A great value and tool for 'creek' fishing in the Sierras and you will not mind rockhopping the boulders or climbing through willows/bushes with this rod either.....

Yes to all of this. I got a 7'6" 3wt CT from Cabelas last year for like $80. The rod casts as well as many 2-3x that price.

My girlfriend has a 6'2" 2wt echo glass that is pretty sweet. The 3wt would be expected to be a solid option if glass were preferred.

I also have the TFO finesse in a 6'9" 1wt. That rod is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on but is too specialized to be a "daily driver" even for small streams.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Once you get a shorter light rod you will want to go places where you can use it.

Ben J
04-18-2018, 09:33 PM
yes, the 3 wt echo glass is a nice rod. I switch between that and my Circa 2 wt for creekin.

Mr T
04-19-2018, 11:06 PM

Ditto this... love mine

OceanSunfish
04-20-2018, 08:49 AM
Ditto this... love mine

Yeah, the CT is fun rod to fish........ very appropriate for most CA creek fishing..... if you know what I mean.

Another 'sleeper' was the first generation TFO 480-2 that sold for $89 or thereabouts. It was TFO's low end model with the green blank. Can't say the entire line up was great, but that one model is pretty darn good...... materials, resins, taper, etc. all matched the design.

It's a lot of fun finding the "diamonds in the rough".

Rossflyguy
04-26-2018, 07:28 PM
Whatever rod you decide on make sure to buy from a local fly shop. They're going extinct quick. Try not to buy from Cabelas or BPS.

k9mark
04-26-2018, 11:17 PM
I’d recommend the vice as well

BillyB
04-29-2018, 03:41 PM
Consider a custom built rod. I fish a 7’9” 4pc 3wt built by Larry Lee from L3 rods. Love it. Although I can’t remember the exact price I’m sure it was less than $200. What I love about his rods are the quality reel seats and grips. The mass produced rods under $200 can sure have cheap components. It sure is nice to visit his shop in Sacramento and pick out exactly what you want