PDA

View Full Version : Truckee (early April)

cdevine
04-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Well, she's roaring after the pineapple express came through and now big releases from a very full Lake Tahoe and Boca Reservoirs. Big spring flows sort of like last year but not quite the bang. Feeder creeks are dumping a lot of runoff as well. Was damn near 70 yesterday. Flows are anywhere from 2k-2500 above Hirshdale and 4-5k below. It was little stained dirty on a recent trip but was certainly fishable. More weather expected this week and colder temps should help with river color. Some big fish being caught as these trout start to feed more aggressive and are easier to locate. 1x-2x territory. It will save you from hopefully not losing to many flies. (but you will lose a lot). Don't get too wet. Stay on the bank because drop offs are deep and current is for real. 14052

cdevine
05-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Quick update (May 7).

Truckee above Hirshdale flowing gin clear at 600+ CFS or so thru Glenshire. Water is like glass so use a lot of stealth. Below Hirshdale 1100+ and water has more color especially as it increases with feeder creeks into NV. Temps are still very cold. Took a reading in AM and it was 45 degrees and later in day 49. Not many chasers at these levels. Way down east of sparks on the lower river probably have more success with warmer water right now (streamer game). Got a few fish on March Brown high stickn Deep. Add lots of weight. I dumped the indo as I wasn't feeling grabs and they are pretty subtle right now. River is in amazing shape overall. I wanted to explore up 89 but didn't get a chance. Something different.