PDA

View Full Version : Is the California Fly Shop dead?

TigerLilly
04-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Did California Fly Shop go tits up? Their website is still live, but another board suggested they closed their doors.

Lincoln Gray
04-10-2018, 01:08 PM
I heard from reliable sources that they are out of business.

SST Flies
04-10-2018, 01:17 PM
Didn't they have a fire last month?

TigerLilly
04-10-2018, 02:03 PM
Didn't they have a fire last month?

I heard they got some smoke and water damage from a fire in the mall in February. Maybe that was the tipping point? Their store had been pretty bare bones over this past year. I'd imagine a retail outfit like theirs in Silicon Valley would be a tough sell to a demographic that lives and dies on-line.

Larry S
04-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Remember the Kaufmann Streamborn shop in the Portland area? Always tried to stop there when in the area.
So many changes! Please support the brick and mortar fly shops.
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Kaufmann's Streamborn fly shops were the biggest deal in fly fishing for decades.

Randal published books, wrote articles, had a famous school system, powerful catalog sales, top guides, made Tiemco hooks popular, developed fly patterns, had a huge travel agency.

When Randal retired is slowing wound down to nothing.

He was the magic.................

__________________________________________________ ______

The first big deal in fly shops was Creative Sports in the 1970s with Andy Puyans and Dave Inks.

If you were there back in the day it was indescribable.

I can tell you that having a small business in California is not a very good idea anymore.

Many are heading to other states like Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana.

Carl Blackledge
04-11-2018, 08:28 AM
Then his brother took over and the place went to hell in a hand basket-total meltdown

ifsteve
04-13-2018, 05:35 PM
Kaufmann's Streamborn fly shops were the biggest deal in fly fishing for decades.

Randal published books, wrote articles, had a famous school system, powerful catalog sales, top guides, made Tiemco hooks popular, developed fly patterns, had a huge travel agency.

When Randal retired is slowing wound down to nothing.

He was the magic.................

The first big deal in fly shops was Creative Sports in the 1970s with Andy Puyans and Dave Inks.

If you were there back in the day it was indescribable.

I can tell you that having a small business in California is not a very good idea anymore.

Many are heading to other states like Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana.

Well small businesses, like flyshops, aren't setting any sales records in those states either although I suspect is a step up from LA LA land.

wineslob
04-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Then his brother took over and the place went to hell in a hand basket-total meltdown

Reminds me of Powell.........

Lincoln Gray
04-16-2018, 08:54 AM
In reality, it was not all Lance Kaufmann’s fault. When Randall left, Lance had to pay him off. Not only that, but the biggest reason for them closing was the death of their mother. She was the AP/AR part of the business. She ran the show!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-16-2018, 09:25 AM
In reality, it was not all Lance Kaufmann’s fault. When Randall left, Lance had to pay him off. Not only that, but the biggest reason for them closing was the death of their mother. She was the AP/AR part of the business. She ran the show!!

Thanks Lincoln for the real story which I know you were close to, being in the wholesale fly fishing business.

** "The best way to make a million dollars with a fly shop is to start with 2 million."

The fly fishing industry is so, so small.

If indicator fishing was outlawed in America it would totally collapse.

Two handed fly fishing has really been good for the industry.

The depletion of all our fisheries has not been good for the sport either.

TigerLilly
04-16-2018, 11:49 AM

Lance put about $1 million into the remodel and then realized how much effort was required to keep the catalog going and dumped it. The catalog was what put them on the map and shielded them from local fluctuations in the economies of North Oregon and South Washington. Dropping the catalog was the kiss of death and then the economy tanked and Lance pulled a number of stunts like selling future classes and trips on Groupon and collecting deposits even while he was in the throes of going into bankruptcy. I don't know if anyone got refunds from the court. Washingtonflyfishing.com has all the icky details in their forum.

Carl Blackledge
04-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Bill,

There are lots of reasons that owning a fly shops sucks right now. I think one of the biggest aspects is the lack of fish. If we had lots of fish say like the old days I think owning a fly shop would be a cool thing......I always push fishing in Loreto because we have tons of fish, unlike most every other place we go now a days....My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Lincoln Gray
04-17-2018, 01:44 PM
Tigerlilly, that is very true, plus Lance and his wife had serious medical issues on top of it.

In the fly fishing industry, we now call it the "Kaufman" They stuck a lot of good people a lot of money! Some manufacturers never recovered.