PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Patriot fly tying vise

audax
03-31-2018, 05:06 PM
Griffin Patriot vise purchased new in the mid-90s. It was Griffin's "best" vise before it was sadly discontinued several years back. It's been a champ. Many hooks have passed through the jaws, yet they still look near new with no visible wear. Functionally, these jaws are as good or (really) better than any I've used, which includes those of the highest quality and reputation. The cam has a light action and operates effortlessly. I've happily used it down to #18, but the vise really comes into its own when handling larger hooks and is a favorite of some big game tyers. This is the only vise I've owned or used where I CANNOT make a hook slip no matter how much I try. And that's with smooth jaws - no notches or serrations. Regals are great in this respect, but not this great. The body of the vise wears a patina from many hours of enjoyment, but I actually like the look, and there are no corrosion issues anywhere. It breaks down nicely for travel or storage, but it is a HEAVY vise. This isn't a lifetime vise, it's a multi-lifetime vise. It's been a great tool, and I've taken good care of it. My vise collection has gotten out of hand, and I'm on a quest to streamline it.

Comes complete as I purchased it, including heavy pedestal base, c-clamp, threaded shaft extension, original paperwork and original but worn box. You supply the allen wrench. ---- shipped.

Thanks for looking, Eric.

If you can't view images, email thedeaddrifter (AT) yahoo.com

dpenrod
04-01-2018, 06:43 AM
Just a shout out for a great, unsung vise in my opinion. Have one myself with a spare pair of jaws in the wings so I'm set. Good luck on the sale. Some one will get a great vise.

audax
04-01-2018, 11:31 AM
Just a shout out for a great, unsung vise in my opinion. Have one myself with a spare pair of jaws in the wings so I'm set. Good luck on the sale. Some one will get a great vise.
You're right, Darin. The Patriot never received the praise it deserved outside of its small group of owners.

Lance Gray
04-01-2018, 10:53 PM
I sent you a pm on the vise?

audax
04-02-2018, 01:54 PM
PATRIOT has a new home