PDA

View Full Version : Outlook for Davis and Frenchman This Year

TPO
03-24-2018, 09:48 PM
I have a question for John B. or any others on the forum who are knowledgeable about Davis and Frenchman:

What do you think the outlooks is for fishing these lakes this year?

I haven't fished Davis for the past two years or so based on the reports of low populations and slow action (although some big fish), but I understand DFW stocked more catchable size trout last fall so perhaps things will be looking up at the lake this spring? Frenchman has been fishing better than Davis, although I personally found fishing slower there last year, with much higher water, than in the previous year or two. Also, any thoughts about how the March snow will impact thing, do you think it will be worth getting out there in April?

I'll be retiring in a few weeks (yeah!) and I'm hoping to spend more time at the lakes this year and am hoping conditions will be looking up. Thanks for the input.

Tom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-25-2018, 04:43 AM
Congratulations Tom.....

JD
03-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Frenchman will continue to fish well as long as they plant, and the same is now true for Davis. Very sad how far Davis has declined.

Troutstalker55B
03-31-2018, 12:11 PM
I have a question for John B. or any others on the forum who are knowledgeable about Davis and Frenchman:

What do you think the outlooks is for fishing these lakes this year?

I haven't fished Davis for the past two years or so based on the reports of low populations and slow action (although some big fish), but I understand DFW stocked more catchable size trout last fall so perhaps things will be looking up at the lake this spring? Frenchman has been fishing better than Davis, although I personally found fishing slower there last year, with much higher water, than in the previous year or two. Also, any thoughts about how the March snow will impact thing, do you think it will be worth getting out there in April?

I'll be retiring in a few weeks (yeah!) and I'm hoping to spend more time at the lakes this year and am hoping conditions will be looking up. Thanks for the input.

Tom

Tom,

The state of Lake Davis is a lake overrun with high bass populations and low populations of rainbow trout. DFW has increased plants which will help, but we are way off to seeing the glory days return. What needs to happen at Lake Davis is more plants of Eagle Lake strain rainbows, these fish seem to like the rich bio mass of the flats and skinny water, which equals to better fly fishing. Though it is a small percentage, they actively will spawn in feeder creeks. The triploids seem to prefer deeper water, many trolling guides have shared this with me, and I agree. Last November, unusual behavior by the resident rainbows were witnessed, they were chasing bass fingerlings in the shallows. I've never have seen that before, and it is my belief that there is so much food in that lake that the rainbows do not need to expend extra energy eating smaller fish. With such a large surplus of minnows in the lake, it doesn't surprise me one bit. I think Lake Davis will fish a little better this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing how many fish are in the shallows and actively feeding during the damsel hatch.

Frenchman Lake will be good this year with chironomids and callibaetis in June. The lake is currently at 89% of capacity, I really like Frenchman when it has more water in it. Lake Davis I prefer at 75 to 60%, it is currently at 91%.

I wish and hope the management from DFW will change at Lake Davis, it is too beautiful of a lake to be mismanaged J.

OceanSunfish
03-31-2018, 08:48 PM
Ditto.....

Although I cannot believe it has been 20 years since the initial treatment! Flat out sad what has taken place there....

TPO
04-01-2018, 07:44 PM
Thanks John/others for your thoughts. I will give Davis a try this spring and look forward to it. I've fished it for 20+years, each spring and fall, and like others here are sad to see what has happened to this fantastic fly fishing lake. I feel bad for the businesses in Portola, we've stayed at Sylvia's Lake Davis Resort many times but haven't been for the last few years. I have some minnow patterns but have never fished them at Davis, perhaps its time to try them. Hope to see you out there sometime.

Tom