PDA

View Full Version : 90% of salt water fly fishing is the casting.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Naturally you need to go to a good destination at prime time.

You also need very good equipment and the right equipment.

You need good Polarized glasses too. Prescription too if you need it.

But in my 30 plus years of taking groups to salt water destinations the big separation in success is casting ability.

People who fly fish top water large mouth bass in the Delta from a skiff are good candidates for salt water success.

mems
03-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Bill I agree casting is an important part of saltwater fishing, but I think accuracy and the ability to get line out in one false cast is more important than distance. I think you catch more fish 40-60 feet than you do at greater distance. I also feel that the retrieve is an important skill to master to get fish to eat. Each species has its preferred speed and action. Learning that can make all the difference on the flats or out in the deep. Identifying the species quickly helps to determine the retrieve that will work best. That is why most get better as the trip goes on. One day on the water is not always enough. Mems.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-12-2018, 07:47 PM
All good info.....

I hosted two group trips last summer for the shop, Kiene's, to the tropical salt water flats......

One to Cuba for flats fishing for everything imaginable (May).

https://cubanfishingcenters.com/tortuga.php

Another to the best Baby Tarpon fishery in the free world (July).

http://www.kienesflyfishingtravel.com/isla-del-sabalo

Everyone I had with me was a seasoned saltwater fly fisher.

We don't advise you to go on any salt water trip if you can't fly cast to the level needed.

Around Sacramento we have many top fly casting instructors that can get you ready for your dream salt water trip.

FISHEYE
03-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Bill, I agree 100% that casting ability (distance plus accuracy) in the salt is the most important factor. I have sent many people down to Bruce Leslie over the years and he will send one of two texts back. 1) We had a great day; this guy can really cast or 2) don't send me anymore guys like this; he can't cast; tell them to learn before they come.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-15-2018, 10:47 AM
Yes FishEye

I learned this from the guide's feed back, good and bad, plus taking lots of people on saltwater trips.

Today, I just won't take anyone who is not willing to work on their casting because it is just a bad idea.

Another thing I learned is to not trust people to get outfitted properly on their own.

Here is the best example of this problem......

Before I knew what I know now one of my old friends from the Greatest Generation got all his tackle together himself.

We went for Baby Tarpon maybe 20 years ago to Isla Blanca when it was unreal there.

I fished one day with him and he had this 10' #7 line 4 piece soft action graphite rod.

Most use and recommend a 9' fly rod for casting from a skiff.

He had read about a fly line that was designed by a "Pro" for Bonefish so he ordered it through a catalog.

He had us install it and his reel was OK.

His leader system was not good either and his flies were too big too.

Our guide corrected the leader and fly problem right off the bat.

He was old and his casting was not too good so I was letting him have all the shot the first morning for many hours.

When he got tired he would tell me to get up there and I would hook a fish and then get down so he could go again.

He just was not getting much distances so I ask if I could cast his outfit.

It was just the worst casting mess you could magazine. I couldn't cast it either because the line would not shoot at all.

Naturally I had a Sage top of the line saltwater rod with a perfectly matched salt water fly line.

It cast like crazy so I talked him into using mine. With some hesitation he finally tried mine.

On the second cast he started hooking those wonderful Baby Tarpon.

Before you go anywhere new to you get by a good fly shop that has a travel operation and have someone help you.

This way you won't be handicapped and should have a better chance of being successful.

**If you go out with a top fly fishing guide in the US you can use their tackle which is usually perfect for the situation and top of the line too.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-15-2018, 11:43 PM
Bill
I've had a number of guys on my baja trips who were beginners or intermediate fly guys, some trout and some seasoned anglers. As for getting the right equipment. I know of three people (who were OK casters), came down there and couldn't get their line out 20'. They tried and tried but no go... I asked to look at the rod and I tried casting out the line. I couldn't get it out 35'. Somethings wrong here. My captain Efren tried to cast the rod and couldn't get 50'. He started pulling off the line and then told me the line ( WF-9-F ) was on backwards. We spent time reversing the line and then things were OK. They told me the shop had put on the backing and fly line. Now this is a reputable shop in CA. No names. The shops employees some how put the line on ass backwards.

As for casting, yes casting in the salt water game is a big ticket item. But like Mems mentioned most of the fish are within the 50' max range. Like Phil mentioned accuracy and casting speed is important. I try and tell my clients one backcast, double haul and shot the line to the target. Especially for roosters, they are there when you start casting but by the time you release your line to the target, they are 30 yards from the fly. Dorado are a much easier target. You can catch them next to the boat by slapping your fly on the water and drawing their attention. Permit, another chapter to discuss.

I've been doing Baja for 26 years and seen many casters. I especially love those FFF master certified casters. They cast beautiful but by the time the line hits the water the fish is gone... Nothing against you guys, I wish I could carry half the line you guys do on the back cast but the fly has to be in the water. Maybe in steel head fishing you can false cast 4 or 5 times to reach across the river but the salt water game is a different game...

OK, guys, go ahead and rip on me... I have thick skin :D

Jay

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-16-2018, 05:21 AM
Good stuff guys....

The message here is get prepared well for those salt water trips.

Carl Blackledge
03-16-2018, 09:01 PM
Bill,

I agree with you about casting being very important, However after you learn how to cast from a boat deck that is constantly bobbing up and down and your trying to make that perfect cast in a strong wind, after you accomplish that part, then knowing how to feed a fish rates up there pretty high also. I learned how to cast way long before i learned how to feed'em. Soon as i learned that I scored my first "Grand slam" and damned near scored 3 in 5 days....I was very lucky to have a good guide that understood the feeding program and tried very hard to teach me, that same guide also won three top tournaments that year.

My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

ifsteve
03-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Going to take a slightly (key here being slightly) different take. Certainly ability to make a good presentation is a great benefit. But I will take the realtors approach and say location, location, location.

You can be the best caster in the world but if the area you are fishing is devoid of fish you will not be successful. If it comes down to a weak caster in a primo location versus a great caster in a tough location I'll put my money on the former every time.

Lets take bonefish as an example. Joe Newbie goes to St. Brandon's or an atoll in the Sechelles. Joe Expert goes to the FL Keys. Who is going to catch more bonefish in a week! Now certainly Joe Expert will out fish Joe Newbie if they are both fishing the same place but a great location can make up for a lot of angler weaknesses.

And to add to what Carl said. Feeding a fish is dang near as important as the cast. Yesterday was a great example. I spent most of the day poling around a buddy chasing redfish. It was a slow day no doubt. But he did get several good opportunities. A number of those he didn't make a good cast. But on several he did but he doesn't yet understand how to feed the fish. Only managed one rat. Someone who knows how to feed those fish under yesterday's conditions would probably have scored a big bull or two.