PDA

View Full Version : Fins for wading boots?

Sheepdog8404
03-10-2018, 02:54 PM
Looking for advice on fins that'll work with wading boots. I will be getting a float tube soon and was wondering what fins folks are using with their boots. I was thinking about just getting some aqua socks and slip on fins for warm water fishing in the summer but sometimes I frequent ponds that I have no desire to make long term skin contact with... :eek:

jack_salmon99
03-10-2018, 03:35 PM
I have been using the Outcast backpack fins for several years. They are lightweight, cheap, and fit over my Simms G3 size 11 rubber soled boots. I have the hard bite studs in the soles and I don't see any excessive wear and tear on the fins. No gripes.

Larry S
03-10-2018, 05:19 PM
Sheepdog,
I've used fins, always with boots. Here's another option ====www.amazon.com/Fishmaster-Style-Paddle-Pushers-fishing/dp/B00EDQLMAO

I had something like this years ago. Advantage is that you are propelling yourself forward.
Lost one of them. Lesson learned? Invest in a device that will capture itself if you kick it
off your foot.
Any news on the new dog search?
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Sheepdog8404
03-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the outcast ones but they seemed a bit cheap. I guess if they work, they work. Larry, that's an interesting set you linked. I've never seen something like that before. It sure would be nice to be able to nose-in to slots rather than having to back in, turn around and then cast.

No luck on the puppy yet. We have explored a few options but for various reasons we decided to continue looking. Hopefully we will find our new companion soon!

Mickey
03-10-2018, 08:22 PM
I've done a LOT of float tube time up at lake Berryessa. I've used the outcast ones that slip over your wading boot and to be honest, they suck. You are much better off just using dive fins without your boots. The dive fins will give you more speed for less effort, more control and far less leg fatigue.

Woodman
03-10-2018, 08:45 PM
I've done a LOT of float tube time up at lake Berryessa. I've used the outcast ones that slip over your wading boot and to be honest, they suck. You are much better off just using dive fins without your boots. The dive fins will give you more speed for less effort, more control and far less leg fatigue.

Have to agree. I can't think of anything less efficient and more horrible than trying to kick yourself around a lake with regular wading boots on. Dive booties and force fins for me.

Ed Wahl
03-10-2018, 09:31 PM
I'll second the dive booties over my stocking foot waders. Been using them for years. I'm sure Simms has got something similar for a lot more money. While I have hiked a bit in them between ponds it's a sweaty endeavor. I normally just take the time to get out of my waders and wear regular shoes for the walking bit. I can hang my waders and fins(the old green Caddis fins) on the back of my tube which is carried on shoulder straps.
Ed

Sheepdog8404
03-10-2018, 11:09 PM
What kind of force fins are you using? They're pretty darn expensive, around 200 bucks, almost as much as a fishcat?!?! I was thinking about the booties over the stocking foot and then using regular dive fins but wasn't sure if that would cause excess wear on the neoprene that defeats the purpose... Sortta like wearing two condoms.

Mickey
03-11-2018, 05:45 AM
You can find used dive fins all day long on craigslist for dirt cheap. You don't need anything special. I've used the same cheapo fins for over 20 years with plain neoprene waders. With my G3's I slip on a pair of dive booties. If you're worried about the 2 condom thing just go float Clear Lake and you'll feel better about it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-11-2018, 06:33 AM
Be sure to have your socks, waders and what ever boots on your feet before you try on those swim fins.

I can tell you that my wife can beat me in a V-boat with Force Fins and when I have cheap fins.

https://www.forcefin.com/fishing/force-fin-float-tube-fins

Larry S
03-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Sheepdog,
A friend and I hit the Sun Diego surf twice a week with fly rods. We both like the booties from Neo Sport. They have
a hard rubber sole and side zipper. You can see them on Amazon. I wear size 12 shoe and buy the
booties in size 14.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego

barbless.co
03-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Be sure to have your socks, waders and what ever boots on your feet before you try on those swim fins.

I can tell you that my wife can beat me in a V-boat with Force Fins and when I have cheap fins.

https://www.forcefin.com/fishing/force-fin-float-tube-fins

Bill those fins are awesome no doubt! I did some research and ended up buying the Outcast Power Kick Fins - same design but nearly, 1/3 the price: https://www.outcastboats.com/accessories/power-kick-fins.asp