PDA

View Full Version : More GT' Madness

Tony Buzolich
02-28-2018, 07:20 AM
After you've watched the two videos above on Larry's "Bird Fishing" here's one more that should get your juices going too.

Seeing these big fish busting the surface for food is like seeing a black bass swallow a frog or a pike swallow a baby duck, only these guys are BIGGER, and much more aggressive.

Turn the volume up if you haven't already.

Tony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaDF-l0PD0

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-28-2018, 08:53 AM
I was so lucky to start going to Christmas Island with groups in the 1980s.

I got to go on 13 trips there back when it was kind of a new deal.

When the tide was high some of those really big GTs would come up on the flats and chase the Milkfish schools.

Like in that video they looked like a pack of dark colored wolves chasing around.

You have to very good and very lucky to even be close enough to hook one.

Then most of the time the ones over 50 pounds get away, one way or another.

A friend landed a very large one because his guide, Tabaki, dove down three different times to get his backing line loose from the coral reef.

I hope that many of you can go to Christmas Island, especially for your first serious week long flat trip.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Maybe I'll tie up a bird fly using a pound of hackle, think a boobie would work.
I'm packed and ready to go, can't wait

Jay

mems
03-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Hey Jay, where are you off to this time? Back to CI, good luck, we are going at then end of April. Don.

Darian
03-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Jay,.... There's video on youtube(??) about a guy who cut up/glued a flip-flop in the shape of a bird at X-Mas Island. Hard to cast but it caught a GT. On the other hand, if you don't want to tie up a Frigate fly, yo9u could go to Fisherman's Warehouse and buy a Suicide Duck lure made by Savage Lures.... :cool:

Baja Fly Fisher
03-02-2018, 02:23 AM
Mems,
Going to Aitutaki in October or the end of October. Next year it will be CI and Aitutaki and Baja.
The fish in Baja are still on the bite, catching yellow fin and some dorado. Yellow tail should start showing up pretty soon.

Baja Fly Fisher
03-02-2018, 02:30 AM
Darian,

Not sure if I can even cast a 6/0 fly much less a flip flop. I'm up right now tying a few shrimp style patterns. The past couple nights I haven't been able to sleep to do allergies and a cough. I was planning on going to the Fred Hall show in Bakersfield today but decided to stay out of the wind and rain. Gotta keep tying, I'm getting orders in faster than I can get them out, I guess that's good :-)

Cujo
03-02-2018, 02:10 PM
Jay,.... There's video on youtube(??) about a guy who cut up/glued a flip-flop in the shape of a bird at X-Mas Island. Hard to cast but it caught a GT.

https://youtu.be/IYq7i4u3XBA

Tony Buzolich
03-02-2018, 06:52 PM
That flip-flop was made on Farquar Atoll. Take a look at either of the Blue Planet videos I posted following Larry S's original post about a bird that was fishing. The Blue planet stuff has incredible photography of those GT's feeding.
Tony

dynaflow
03-03-2018, 02:02 AM
I have rich friends who've fished here...got $10,000+? I'm only jealous...lol

Tony Buzolich
03-03-2018, 07:38 AM
Peter,

I'm saving up for the Seychelles too :) If I live that long. But for now Aitutaki and Christmas Is. Kiribati is about as close to the South Pacific as I can afford.

Byron Bay looks to only be a hop and skip from a lot of neat tropical places where you're at. We've got a 12 hour flight from Los Angeles to get to Rarotonga and then a short shuttle flight to Aitutaki.
Can't wait, Tony

dynaflow
03-03-2018, 04:00 PM
Good luck Tony!...like many of us I dream about the Seychelles,but it's probably the most expensive trip you'll ever make.Yes we're fortunate living on the east coast of Australia as we really don't need to leave the country given the variety of saltwater species here (Permit included).The best fishing is in the north though where there's no surf due to the Great Barrier Reef (which is a destination in itself of course.) If you want something more exotic,probably the biggest Bonefish on the planet can be found in New Caledonia,a two and a half hour flight from Brisbane.Aitutaki is 6.5 hours from Sydney btw...then there's Trout Heaven (New Zealand) only three hours away.Nonetheless I look forward to my annual two weeks on C.I.each year (trip 13 coming up)...it's around 5000 miles and a ten hour broken flight (Byron/Sydney..Sydney/Fiji...Fiji/Kiritimati) that gets us in to Cassidy International (lol) at 6.30am...so we get close to a full days fishing,and therefore seven days angling without the extra Wednesday morning if you so choose (we don't)....Cheers..Peter.