PDA

View Full Version : Upper & Lower Sac Report

cdevine
02-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Got a chance to fish the upper and lower sac last week during the 70 degree days. Wow, it felt like late spring without the runoff. Keep in mind with these much cooler temps now things will be different. Upper Sac I spent mid to lower river and flows were about 440 CFS. Water temp were still very cold in the 40's and gin clear. Not another soul fishing. Tough fishing to be honest. Mid day size 20 midges coming off and around 2-3pm a pretty big caddis hatch. (yes caddis). Got a few fish on a smaller rubber legs and caddis pupa. I don't get to fish this water much but its so nice and quiet. Wading is a bit dicey so be careful. I crossed in a few spots but be cautions.

Lower Sac is fishing much better. Lots of open spots now at 3200 CFS. You don't need a drift boat but it certainly doesn't hurt. I was wading. Big time Hydropsyche Caddis coming off midday. Also PMD's and some BWO's. Fish were really keying on these in riffles. Landing a fish on the lower sac wading is not easy. What a thrill. Pressure decent given the open access. Attached is a pic of a nice 20 inch buck that took me into my backing and almost a bath.

EricO
02-21-2018, 05:01 PM
Hey CD,

Even in the prime time of summer last year the Upper Sac fished very tough for my buddy and I. There were so
many sweet looking runs that just looked like they would be loaded with fish. Nope, they weren't. It was very tough
fishing even at the crack of dawn until mid morning.

Honestly, when I fish it again, I'll just wait until there's a good evening hatch to get the fish looking up. Seems like
I've always done better then.

Nice beastly Lower Sac rainbow..good job man. Thanks for the report.

Eric O

cdevine
02-21-2018, 06:24 PM
erico- good to know. I felt the same way... Look at this amazing water around every bend! i'm very much a novice up in that upper sac area just because its pretty deep for me. i fished it around town of dunsmuir last summer on a warm muggy night and it fished really well on golden stimi's. like you said the hatch... But next day I walked the tracks by Canterra and got my rear handed to me from morning to midday. I decided to fish the Mccloud from about 2pm - dark on the same day and it was the right choice. If i have the opportunity to fish the Mccloud i will every time over just about any water. I don't think I've ever had a bad day on the Mccloud.

I will most likely hire a guide next time I fish it. What you learn from a good guide is incredible and that can be built upon as you continue to go back. But if you can handle a little physical of an environment and like solitude the upper sac is a gem. And this year I think it will be prime fishing earlier than later. (like about every freestone stream)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2018, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the detailed report CD......

On an average year June can be the top month on the Upper Sac.

During a drought cycle it can be best in May.

In a big snow pack year it can fish best in July.

Oct/Nov are also good.

**I had a cabin in Dunsmuir for 10 years and I grew up with Fred Gordon who is the premier guide on the Upper Sac.

Lower Sac does usually fish year round but April/May is big.

October is Mike Mercer's favorite month.

**This large river is an amazing consistent fishery with large wild Rainbow trout and some Steelhead.

I am a big believer in fishing the prime time on all fisheries around the world.

I spent 50 years working on this by questioning the folks who really fish a particular place and the guides who work there.

EricO
02-22-2018, 10:15 AM
Same for me on the Pit. Rarely a bad day.

The Upper Sac definitely fishes better in Spring. When summer finally hits its tough going.
Not sure where all the fish go...deep is my guess.

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2018, 11:57 AM
My favorite trout stream in my lifetime was the Pit River.

After the flow changes it is no longer fish-able by me (72) and I am saddened by it.

Before the flow changes the Pit River fished best early with the stoneflies in May/June.

Then the Isonychia mayfly action was Sept/Oct.

EricO
02-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Completely agree Bill. The Pit fished so well at the lower flows. And crossing the river
was doable...now it can treacherous.

It wasn't like the river was in poor shape before, that necessitated raising
them to current levels. Politics with FERC licensing methinks. Pit 5 used to be one
of my favorite stretches. Now is can only be fished around 450 cfs, which can still
be sketchy. I think the old flows were around 250 cfs?

Eric

cdevine
02-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Eric,

I need to get try and get over to the pit a few times this spring/summer. Do you always fish Pit 3? i want to say flows normally in the 330 range but i don't think they can dip lower right? Bill I feel you. I don't have that much longer before these crazy walk/wade days come to an end.... But your memories are always their.
Thx for sharing.

cdevine
03-22-2018, 11:07 AM
Lower sac has been fishing really well. Flows are still in the 3k range which makes wading very accessible in spots that typically aren't. Besides PMD's, Mayflies, and Caddis the sucker spawn is going on and you can always tie and egg patter on. I got this guy on one. On cloudy overcast days the fish are looking up. Tie a dry on.

With all the recent rain and snow I would imagine flows will start edging up shortly making it mainly a drift boat game. I use a 10ft 5wt out there but when you are wading if you had a 6wt it wouldn't be a bad idea. 13987

EricO
03-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Hey CD,

Missed your above comment a month ago...duh. Sending PM.

Eric O