PDA

View Full Version : American River steelhead report.

Andy Guibord
02-13-2018, 09:35 PM
I finished teaching a spey lesson at Sunrise on the American River and was on the little bicycle bridge. I watched the guide, Joe Vasquez landing a nice adult steelhead for his client. If you want to catch a steelhead this season you have to wet the fly, don"t wait for someone to tell you it's red hot. It is not going to be red hot. We are in prime steelhead season and we will have a few fish trickling in well into March. Put your time in or just get lucky, but don't be the one waiting for some magical good report, instead be the one giving it. If you want lots of numbers enroll in a math class.

RonOtto
02-14-2018, 11:24 AM
I finished teaching a spey lesson at Sunrise on the American River and was on the little bicycle bridge. I watched the guide, Joe Vasquez landing a nice adult steelhead for his client. If you want to catch a steelhead this season you have to wet the fly, don"t wait for someone to tell you it's red hot. It is not going to be red hot. We are in prime steelhead season and we will have a few fish trickling in well into March. Put your time in or just get lucky, but don't be the one waiting for some magical good report, instead be the one giving it. If you want lots of numbers enroll in a math class.

Thanks, Andy--

Well said. Looks like one of those years...
A word from, and too, the wise!

Ron Otto

STEELIES/26c3
02-14-2018, 03:13 PM
If you want lots of numbers enroll in a math class.

Classic line, love it :)

Rockman
02-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Joe is a great guy, guide, and a fish magnet.
Way to go Joe!

winxp_man
02-14-2018, 05:54 PM
There are fish in the system. Got into 4 before going up on the coast about a week ago. Two got off after a bit of fight, and two landed. One a bit colored up and one real bright fish (broke my rod when I was trying to get the hook out). Get out to increase your chances! And like Andy said. "you want lots of numbers enroll in a math class." :D hahahaha!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-14-2018, 06:22 PM
February is my top pick for catching a winter Steelhead.

March/April is a time for some wild spring run adults or Blue Backs and some Half-pounds too.

Get out with a local guide to increase you odds and maybe learn some good technique and how to read the water.

Mark Kranhold
02-14-2018, 09:48 PM
Decided to go swing on my birthday since I hadn’t swung a fly this season. I’m feeling lucky I intersected with a Eel strain with all the dismal conversations I’ve been hearing! She was the typical 8-9 lber and what a birthday gift she was!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-15-2018, 06:18 AM
Pretty cool......

If you go to the upper river once a week for the next 2 months you should get something.

On foggy days in Feb we can get some Baetis / Blue Wing Olive mayfly hatches mid-day in the upper half of the river.

#16/18 paradun with 5x/6x on your trout rod should work.

Feb/March/April on the upper Trinity, Lower Yuba, Lower Stan, Lower Moke rivers can be fun dry fly action with now flooding.

Foggy /mayflies and sunny caddis & stoneflies?

Smitty Fish
02-16-2018, 03:38 PM
“ That’s a great B-day present!!” What was the take like?

Mark Kranhold
02-16-2018, 09:31 PM
Pretty subtle take Jeff, but she ripped out a few times with a nice arial flash! The 5wt was a little under gunned but I was wanting to see what she could handle.

boomer4
02-17-2018, 07:15 AM
Fished all day yesterday in upper section with my buddy and he asked me "you say the fish are in?". I replied," yeah, for the American, I mean it's steelhead fishing- don't high have high expectations and you'll have a great day enjoying the river".

Now that being said, maybe we would have picked up one, maybe two on an all day float, had it not been for the seals. Two seals pretty much ran up and down the upper section and scattered the few fish in the system all over the place. I'm told there are four or five seals in the river right now. Seems like the seals spook the living crap out of those fish and they just don't settle down for the rest of the day.

cdevine
02-17-2018, 09:26 AM
I give you guys a lot of credit for your pursuit of chrome. It takes a great deal of dedication and patience. For me personally i like the seclusion of the eastern and western slope. But i appreciate the updates on the local tailwater.

cmcdhuibh
02-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Seems like the seals spook the living crap out of those fish and they just don't settle down for the rest of the day.

Dress like a polar bear

winxp_man
02-17-2018, 11:17 AM
Or maybe a shark or orca outfit. You might not be looked at as being all there, but taking one for the team can’t be that bad right? Hahahaha!