PDA

View Full Version : Scratching Off more Bucket List

Tony Buzolich
02-07-2018, 04:58 PM
For the past few weeks all I've been thinking about is Aitutaki, GTs, and Giant Bonefish. I'd almost forgotten about a few other things still on my bucket list until today.

Besides warm saltwater destinations I've also wanted a BIG Brown trout. One that needed two hands to hold. My best brown up to today was only about 14".

This morning my fishin' buddy Bill Siler and I headed to Engelbright Lake and the upper reaches of the Yuba River. We'd heard there were good numbers of small rainbows around and Bill needed to Christen his newly made 5 wt. rod that he'd been building.

As we moved up river sand bars were everywhere right next to deep holes and rocky banks. After about an hour of fruitless casting I finally hooked a beautiful, but small, rainbow. Finally the skunk is off.

A few more casts and I get another grab, this one a lot better. Bill had been teasing me about all the squawfish there are here, and this one had all the right colors for one, until I got it to the surface. Yahoo! A brown, a really nice unexpected Brown trout.

Not a monster, but it was really FAT, and it did take two hands to hold, and it is my best brown to date.
Tony

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/brown%20trout%205x6_zpsb41gyxu9.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/brown%20trout%205x6_zpsb41gyxu9.jpg.html)

Darian
02-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Nice Brown Trout, Tony. Good way to start off the new year.... :cool:

Larry S
02-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Good job there Tony.
Approaching my 80th, I have a fug-it list.
Still out there prowling, but, less ambitious.
Best to you,
Larry S
Sun Diego

mems
02-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Butter! Nice job Tony, Mems

Baja Fly Fisher
02-07-2018, 05:53 PM
I've been out looking for some blue gills, crappie or carp but haven't had any tugs. I can't believe it's that hard to fine blue gills.
I need a few for my project. Sooner or later I'll get lucky, going back out in the morning

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2018, 08:17 PM
We are in Florida fishing for everything.

Beautiful Brown Trout......