PDA

View Full Version : Maui Fly Fishing???

BumpBailey
01-29-2018, 09:11 AM
HI All,

Like how i did that? Going to Maui, HI the last weekend in March. Staying in the Kaanapali area. One bucket list item is playing Kapalua. Checking that one off. Another bucket list item are bones! I know that some of the islands can have some bones at times. Does Maui? Are there any guides on Maui that specialize in fly fishing? Any other salt water targets to go after with a fly? 9wt or 7wt?

Thanks all!

Jay

PV_Premier
01-29-2018, 09:42 AM
HI All,

Like how i did that? Going to Maui, HI the last weekend in March. Staying in the Kaanapali area. One bucket list item is playing Kapalua. Checking that one off. Another bucket list item are bones! I know that some of the islands can have some bones at times. Does Maui? Are there any guides on Maui that specialize in fly fishing? Any other salt water targets to go after with a fly? 9wt or 7wt?

Thanks all!

Jay

some decent info here. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/bone-fish-on-maui.123212/

i've never fished in Maui. the flats near the HNL airport on Oahu are legendary though. it's not shallow water bonefishing like you'd find in the bahamas...most of the "flats" are waist deep and the fish can be hard to see.

hopefully mems finds this thread...he's a wealth of hawaii fishing info

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2018, 09:58 AM
I have heard a lot about the Bones in the HI Islands.

Mostly larger ones and not too easy either.

Would say a 9 weight would be better.

I know Oahu and Molokai have some shallow saltwater flats fishing for Bones and other species.

Would be great if someone would write a book about "Fly fishing HI" because so many of us go there.

mems
01-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Aloha, Maui, the only guide I know there is Jon Jon Tabon, Local Fishing Knowledge. He charges $600 a day and uses Kayaks to access some outside reefs. You can fish Kihei and have shots if the tide is incoming and it is morning. Winds come up at 10:30 am. Try mantis shrimp and small gotchas. Use small crabs for tailing bones. You will probably get more shots at small trevally, papio. If you get a follow strip faster. Good luck, let me know if you need more help.
Write a book? Then you wouldn't need a guide. Mems.

BumpBailey
01-29-2018, 03:13 PM
Love this board! Thanks for chiming in all. I appreciate it.

Seeing as how i am on only a 5 day trip and one, maybe two days, I am definitely golfing with my boys. I can't justify a guide just for myself at those rates. I would do though if I had a buddy with me and more time.....

If the tides work out, I'll take an early morning drive over to Kihei and will give it a shot.

Strip faster. That is what i keep telling her!