PDA

View Full Version : Dorado on a fly in La Paz, Baja Mexico - video

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-28-2018, 11:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=expX0rPFblU

Carl Blackledge
01-29-2018, 08:59 AM
Bill,

These guys got it right for once. The first 15-20 seconds of the film just start my mind down memory lane of the good old days of Loreto. The Dorado is the most fun on a fly rod then any other fish bar none with the sailfish and Marlin a close second.

Carl Blackledge

Tony Buzolich
01-29-2018, 12:42 PM
This is a new show with Seasons On The Fly in La Paz. The previous show I've watched numerous times and can't get enough of La Paz.

Fishing with Baja Pirates is quite different from bouncing around in a panga though both have their fun and joys. All of the boats are new center councils with T-tops, live wells, etc., even porta-pottys if needed.

Our last trip there my wife came along and had the time of her life. Using live bait and a spinning rod she caught twice what I did on a fly. It was a pleasure for her too to sit under the t-top on a cushioned seat during the heat of the day.

On previous trips to La Paz we fished with Jay out of Las Arenas at the lighthouse and around the south end of Isla Cerralvo. With Baja Pirates you fish more of the north end of Cerralvo and the islands of Espirito Santo. All trips to Pa Paz have been great with whoever you go with.

On the last day of the trip with my wife we got word that there was a school of yellowfin about two hours out from Cerralvo and the guide asked us if we'd like to take that long of a ride? You bet, Let's Go. After a full two hour ride we could see tuna busting the surface a quarter mile away. Acres of them. Before I could loosen up and get out of my seat, my wife had already hooked a beautiful dorado in the midst of all these busting tuna. I still hadn't straightened up when this dorado came aboard still green.
Now it was my turn and together we landed 18 yellowfin tuna in non- stop action till our guide called it and said we have a LONG ride back.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/_DSC0233upload_zps33e6bb0e.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/_DSC0233upload_zps33e6bb0e.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/_DSC0379upload_zpscd43019b.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/_DSC0379upload_zpscd43019b.jpg.html)

Back at the dock Leonard's crew quickly took our tuna and flash-freezed them for the trip home. Word of caution here, any fish you want to bring home should be keep earlier in the week so at to fully freeze and harden.

Over all, Baja Pirates is a class act. Very affordable and customizable to whatever you wish to do. I'll go again for sure.

I'm surprised Bill didn't mention that the shop has a trip going there June 10 -16 this summer.
Tony

mems
01-29-2018, 11:28 PM
Aloha Bill, thanks for the cool video.

I love catching mahi, so much fun on a popper. It is funny to me how much people over exaggerate the size of fish. A 50 lb mahi is a big fish! I like to chase roosters down in Baja, cause we don't have them in Hawaii, but love non-stop mahi action when you can get it. Tony nice score on the little shibi, small ahi. They still pull and the skippies are even faster. Hope you guys have a good season down there this spring and summer, Mems.

JasonB
01-30-2018, 07:47 AM
I had seen that before, and they do have some great footage! Only thing that was weird was the foul hooked “trophy” and how much of a thing they made over it. We’ve all foul hooked some fish in situations like that, but I personally don’t exactly feel like proud about it or need to make much fuss over it other that just letting them go so I can get back to fishing. Bizarre choice of editing to include that bit in an otherwise stellar video?
JB

Baja Fly Fisher
01-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Right now the fishing has been good in the Las Arenas area. They are still catching some yellow fin, dorado and a few yellow tails.
The bait is still around the area. So far it doesn't seem like they are going anywhere.

Last October the fishing was off the chart. We had schools of dorado and yellow fin tuna. On my last day, right outside of Muertos, we had a school of tuna bust the surface and having a half dozen baits left, we made it work. I even got a couple on poppers without bait. I think overall the bite was good. Some days a few boats had 3 to 4 yellow fin per person with a lot more released. The dorado were also in the count. I think there are more options to look at than just dorado.

I know my favorite species is the rooster with wahoo a close second. I've hooked two wahoo on the fly but land "0". I had one bite through 50 lb wire.

Can't wait to go back in May.. Interested? On my face book page, I have two flyers posted - one for the spring run and the other for my October trip.

Just ask around, our captains are the best when it comes to fly fishing.

Jay

Baja Fly Fisher
01-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Tony,
How much did your flight from LA to Cook Island run? I'm trying to get a trip together and figuring out the cost including the airfare.
Did you go on a DIY or booked through Nervous Water. I've got a quote for 7 nights 6 days (lodging and food only) Guide is a separate cost, 385.00 per day. I'm trying to find out who's available
Sorry this was off the subject of Baja, I still love Baja and have for over 30 years.

Tony Buzolich
01-30-2018, 06:25 PM
Jay,

I'm going to start a new thread so we don't confuse La Paz with elsewhere.
Tony