PDA

View Full Version : streamer fishing line recommendations

PV_Premier
01-09-2018, 04:24 PM
I have a TFO BVK 9' #6 that I want to make my dedicated streamer and mouse rod, I will be using it with pretty big flies and fish at times (such as for bull trout and big browns). My biggest concern about matching up the rod with the right line system to be able to turn over large, nasty flies (6-8" long) when warranted...while still handling smaller streamers with some modest grace...

I have a pair of Lamson Konic fly reels with a bunch of spools, two of which could be dedicated to this effort...so I need a versatile two line set up to cover a wide range of fly sizes and depths of presentation.

I am wondering if something like a Rio OBS would be the right set up, or if I should consider something else. Also, should I overline it to a #7?

I was sort of thinking #7 OBS intermediate for the big nasties, and #6 OBS float for mice and smaller patterns, then throw some versileaders into the mix to manage depths appropriately.

Should I be thinking of an S3 or S6 tip instead of an intermediate?

Larry S
01-09-2018, 04:45 PM
PV,
Have you considered the Wulff Ambush lines. Biggest drawback is the very thin running line, if mending
is a serious consideration.. Hope you keep us posted as to your decisions and results.
Best,
Larry S
Sun Diego, where we're actually experiencing a rainfall of nearly 1.5"

PV_Premier
01-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Yah I have considered those...I use a similar line for my switch rod...I would prefer something a bit different for this application.

Sheepdog8404
01-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Derek,

I fish a Rio OBS WF6-I/S6 on my 6wt bvk and it throws big nasty, articulated Kelly Galloup style flies with ease all day long. I definitely would not overline it with the 7wt OBS as these lines are already two line sizes up. As for the floater, I fish an SA titan taper and it turns over big fluffy mice patterns with ease as well... even bass poppers. Though a WF6F obs would be appropriate for that as well. I find that when streamer fishing, either the full floater or the fast sinker is the best way to go. Everything in between can really be had with either adding a conehead to the leader of the floater or quartering down more and getting on the retrieve sooner with the fast sinking line.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Derek,

I fish a Rio OBS WF6-I/S6 on my 6wt bvk and it throws big nasty, articulated Kelly Galloup style flies with ease all day long. I definitely would not overline it with the 7wt OBS as these lines are already two line sizes up. As for the floater, I fish an SA titan taper and it turns over big fluffy mice patterns with ease as well... even bass poppers. Though a WF6F obs would be appropriate for that as well. I find that when streamer fishing, either the full floater or the fast sinker is the best way to go. Everything in between can really be had with either adding a conehead to the leader of the floater or quartering down more and getting on the retrieve sooner with the fast sinking line.

I with Derek here....

Rio WF6F OBS floater for big stuff on top

Rio WF6I/S6 is a good casting fast sinking line.

Airflo and SA might also have similar lines that would work.

OBS are already over-lined as Derek mentioned.

Famous trout streamer guy Kelly Gallop uses lines kind of like the Teeny style which are very fast sinking.

TyV
01-10-2018, 06:20 PM
So...I have a 9'6" BVK 6 wt. Honestly, with larger streamers...it isn't really enough gun. Especially when wading. I know that isn't what you were asking. Just thought I would throw that in, as someone who went through the process you are going through...not all that long ago. I wade fish a lot more than boat fish...so I went to a 10' 7wt. rod. I love the extra length and the extra backbone to cast bigger streamers without a lot of effort. The guys that cast the really big steamers...use an #8 wt rod. Seriously.

As for the original question. I didn't care for the Wulff Ambush line. I have a #7, if you want it...I will make you a great deal. Only used a few times. I use an Airflow Galloup's Streamer Max Long. It does have a texture on the running line that allows it to shoot through the guides and cast further. You need to use strippeez on your fingers if you are hucking all day...so it doesn't tear you fingers open.

Also heard great things about the Rio OB...just didn't get a chance to fish one. Happy with what I have. Good luck!

aaron
01-10-2018, 09:49 PM
The Airflo Streamermax is the best option out there by a mile. The OBS is a damn good line but the Streamermax blows it away. No need to size up with it.

RH
01-10-2018, 11:09 PM
Streamer Max short or long?

JasonB
01-10-2018, 11:42 PM
I think a lot depends on what you think is “big” too. For instance, if you are talking about a lot of bulky materials and a lot of weight I would agree with Ty that the 9’6” 6wt BVK would be too light. For that reason, I have really moved away from the bunny strips and such, striving more for the large profile without so much bulk or weight. I also tend to fish a bit smaller streamers than some I think, so a 6wt works well for me. I don’t use floaters much, though there are times where it can be handy. I usually want the option to get down fast so a type 6 full sink is what I use most of the time now, though you can certainly get a lot done with a 10-15‘ versileader.
I’ve been a fan of the Outbound short lines, but I have not yet tried any of the airflo streamer lines to compare.
JB

aaron
01-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Streamer Max short or long?

Short for sure.

Woodman
01-13-2018, 02:01 PM
So...I have a 9'6" BVK 6 wt. Honestly, with larger streamers...it isn't really enough gun. Especially when wading. I know that isn't what you were asking. Just thought I would throw that in, as someone who went through the process you are going through...not all that long ago. I wade fish a lot more than boat fish...so I went to a 10' 7wt. rod. I love the extra length and the extra backbone to cast bigger streamers without a lot of effort. The guys that cast the really big steamers...use an #8 wt rod. Seriously.

As for the original question. I didn't care for the Wulff Ambush line. I have a #7, if you want it...I will make you a great deal. Only used a few times. I use an Airflow Galloup's Streamer Max Long. It does have a texture on the running line that allows it to shoot through the guides and cast further. You need to use strippeez on your fingers if you are hucking all day...so it doesn't tear you fingers open.

Also heard great things about the Rio OB...just didn't get a chance to fish one. Happy with what I have. Good luck!

I have to agree, I have a 6 weight BVK, but for serious streamer fishing (large flies, large water) I fish my 9-1/2 foot 7 weight Sage XP.