PDA

View Full Version : River Otters on Putah Creek

Lance Gray
01-07-2018, 07:49 PM
Saw a big group of river otters on Putah Creek on Friday. Not good!!!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-07-2018, 08:33 PM
My experiences with river otters is they seem to keep moving all the time.

I use to fish Lake Solano a long time ago and never saw any otters.

I think otters and other fish predators means there are fish?

I heard that they have been getting lots of small wild rout now.

How is the fishing this winter?

cyama
01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
The otters have been on the creek for several years at least 10-15 years. The wild fish seem to have survived the increase in otter population. The wild fish have tails and can swim faster....

The fish are especially vulnerable to otters and other predators during the spawn and low flows which are going on right now. It is best to fish some of the other valley tailwaters until at least March or April when the fish stop spawning.

Lance Gray
01-07-2018, 10:49 PM
I have been guiding for at least that long and I have never seen one. I have seen beavers throughout the years. I usually guide during the week at the creek. We also do tours. This was a tour and we saw them right below guides hole.

I didn't see any fish on the redds on throughout the creek, I did spot fish around guides hole and the upper portion of Deer Xing that looked like spawners. It seems to me the spawn is over.

The fishing was good on Friday. We hooked and landed several fish. Top flies where the Red Fireworm, the Red X-May and the JuJu Beatis.

Mickey
01-08-2018, 05:35 AM
I've seen river otters on Putah since the early 70's. I would guess they eat more crayfish than anything else but It's too early to dig through my reference books. I did see a mink just below the dam in the late 70's/early 80's. With all my time outdoors, that was the first and only mink I've seen.

Rossflyguy
01-08-2018, 08:58 AM
I have been guiding for at least that long and I have never seen one. I have seen beavers throughout the years. I usually guide during the week at the creek. We also do tours. This was a tour and we saw them right below guides hole.

I didn't see any fish on the redds on throughout the creek, I did spot fish around guides hole and the upper portion of Deer Xing that looked like spawners. It seems to me the spawn is over.

The fishing was good on Friday. We hooked and landed several fish. Top flies where the Red Fireworm, the Red X-May and the JuJu Beatis.

I’m sure the spawn is still going on. There’s new gravel everywhere. I’m sure if you see a redd those fish are close by or pulled off after spotting you. There are also redds that are vacant and I’ve seen redds still occupied. I’d give it another couple weeks to be safe. The average spawn lasts to February. Probably wanna promote that since the last spawn was a bust from the flood flows.

I’ve seen otters the last 5 years. This is nothing new. If you don’t see them their crap and slides are everywhere. They mainly eat the crawfish.

yubaman
01-08-2018, 01:36 PM
I have not fished Putah in a couple of years now, but when I used to put in 15 days a year there, this was not uncommon. I had seen them before at Guide Hole, below Deer Sign and down at access 3 over the years. Usually in groups of 2-4.

JasonB
01-08-2018, 07:03 PM
I can’t think of any decent trout stream that I don’t see otters on a pretty regular basis?

BumpBailey
01-09-2018, 09:21 AM
I had one giving me the eye last fall on the Truckee. He wasn't the least bit afraid of me... me on the other hand, kept having visions of him taking a bite out of my calf.... i went and fished another run.

njbeast
01-09-2018, 01:19 PM
For years on the Klamath near the state line we saw a family of otters, anywhere from 4-7, always in the same stretch..they were fun to watch but we got out and gave them the river.

Sierra D
01-09-2018, 03:54 PM
I think the nature of these predators is to fill a niche and NOT wipe out their food source: If otters eat more, there will be less for pikeminnows, stripers, and osprey to eat. Also the otters will eat all kinds of fish, including some of those pikeminnows, and maybe small stripers (both of which eat trout and salmon).

I've seen otters on the Yuba and Feather (in the 70's and 80's near the confluence), the Trinity, the Tuolumne (upper and Lower), the Rogue, and the upper Sacramento. Maybe other places I can't remember, too. I don't like to fish near them, but I love to see them and I generally think they are a sign of a healthy system.

Rossflyguy
01-10-2018, 09:01 AM
Otters are definitely a sign of s healthy system. You don’t see them where food is void. I’ve had the otters at Putah creek growl at me. I stick around and they usually move on.

Lance Gray
01-10-2018, 12:02 PM
I seen otters on the Lower Sac, Yuba, Truckee and others. You are right it is a sign of a very healthy system. I also have had them growl at me on the Lower Sac. Pretty funny.

It's just funny all these years I have been on Putah - I have never seen them.

TahoeJoe
01-10-2018, 01:30 PM
After seeing an otter foraging on the Trinity with my son in November, we discovered that there is an HSU "otter demography" study underway and they would like to have anyone sighting an otter in Humboldt or Del Norte county to fill out a report for their study.

If you see one in the area, here's the web page to use to report it:
https://www2.humboldt.edu/wildlife/faculty/black/research/ottersentry.html

A little off topic but still otter related.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-10-2018, 01:56 PM
We have otters in our canal in Florida but they seem to just travel through on a pretty fast pace.

In 13 years I have only seen them a few times.

We also have a lot of fish-eating birds.

We also have a lot of big fish eating small fish.

I think the main focus should be having extremely healthy ecosystems.

Some predation is need to keep an ecosystem healthy.

Mark Kranhold
01-10-2018, 02:14 PM
I was backpacking in the Sierras years ago out of the Grouse ridge area. We got to our destination lake and I couldn't believe what I saw, a family of otters swimming around having family fun. That was the first time I've ever seen otters in a remote Sierra lake.

E.Drucker
01-12-2018, 09:27 AM
appalled that anyone would be fishing Putah before 2/1 let alone guide Putah. I'm honestly floored people fish Putah 12/1-2/1 regardless if they see spawning fish or not. For godssake, flows as of yesterday were 65 CFS. Give those poor fish a break people and let em' do their thang!!! Especially if you're a guide...sheesh

cdevine
01-12-2018, 02:15 PM
I don't fish Putah. Not my thing personally. But why is it open to fishing right now? People worked so hard to get this fishery to a blue ribbon status yet you can legally fish it right now. So like it or not nobody is committing a crime. I wouldn't fish it and it sounds like most wouldn't either but people are fishing it. Tough area but until its closed you can only make suggestions.

Lance Gray
01-12-2018, 06:07 PM
appalled that anyone would be fishing Putah before 2/1 let alone guide Putah. I'm honestly floored people fish Putah 12/1-2/1 regardless if they see spawning fish or not. For godssake, flows as of yesterday were 65 CFS. Give those poor fish a break people and let em' do their thang!!! Especially if you're a guide...sheesh

I don't know who you are so I will just say this. I was doing a tour of putah with three fly fishers when I saw the otters. We talk about flows,fish,how to fish it and protecting the fishery. We look for Redds and we talk about putah creek trout which I support both with donations of trips and money. We educate the fly fishers on a fishery. They become stewards of the creek just as many of us have done. We also fish. But we don't fish in the redds areas. Honestly maybe before you shun me you need to know what we do. The more educated people are the more the fly fishers will protect.

On a second note I use my name on this board. No handle, just me. Everyone that knows me knows that Kirsten and I run a great business with great programs.

Mickey
01-13-2018, 09:50 AM
Interesting comment on education leading to stewards of the creek. Based on numbers of people that fish on the creek in the winter I would throw certain merit at that. I would love to have kept a log of actual numbers but, my commute for the most part over the last 4 years or so has been via 128 anywhere from 1-5 days of the week, my gut tells me fewer and fewer people are fishing the spawn. Sure there are days when I'll see 10-15 vehicles at different pullouts but that is no longer the norm. Thanks for being a steward.

I fly fished Putah a LOT back from the early 90's to about 2010, not so much any more and seldom late in the fall. Up until the late 90's there just weren't a lot of people fishing up there. Then Putah turned into a zoo and later ended up where we are today. I think social media and peer pressure played a huge part in that.

I don't condone fishing the spawn at Putah but understand not everybody is a blind idiot walking through tailouts, obvious redds and sight casting to active spawners. After I really started to pay attention I realized I had no clue where a fish would choose to spawn at Putah other than the obvious ones. Maybe choice spawning sites are "full" but some fish sure seem to like the seedy motel 6's. I care about the creek but consider myself somewhat "a blind idiot" due to motel 6's and just don't fish the spawn.

Closing of Putah for the spawn was something I looked hard at and resulted in some social implications. My final conversation with F&G was regarding when/what is the spawn and how to set closure dates. The damage to the fishery is disruption to actively spawning fish? Disruption to spawning substrate? Physical stress on hooked fish? Disruption of post spawn substrate? Obviously all of the above. Close that puppy from October-March? Everybody has an opinion. I did a lot of research and talked to multiple people to reach mine.

I have no doubt the fishery would improve with a serious hard closure (when you could fish it). I used to be hard set on having a seasonal closure, not so much anymore Does this state NOT have enough restrictions already? Fishing pressure seems to be down, knowledge seems to be up. Perhaps letting the users "self regulate" their own is the best option for where were at? It has worked in other recreational activities. Yeah, there will always be "that guy", but when it's no longer the norm, we are winning. Only a couple of fish from putah this year. Probably my last before I move out of state.

https://vimeo.com/238307945

E.Drucker
01-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Understood that you were doing a tour..but in a previous post you said you caught multiple fish Friday. I don't understand how almost every other guide who work Putah is off the water this time of the year, yet you seem to be actively guiding during the spawn. I understand you can justify showing fisherman on your tour where the Redds are, and how to "avoid them", but inevitably someone will hook a fish that is either staging for spawn, or has just finished spawning and is compromised. It's virtually impossible to avoid every fish involved in the spawn.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assessment, but I would assume that as a good steward of Putah Creek you would encourage people to stay off the river in spawning months...and the only way to do that would be lead by example...no?

Years ago a knowledge and reputable Putah Creek guide explained to me the importance of letting the entire river rest from 12/1 - 2/1..I'm thankful for this lesson. The only time I have been back in that timeframe, was to watch our Rainbow friends spawn and to share with my children this magical time of the year on Putah.

E.Drucker
01-13-2018, 11:03 AM
"Then Putah turned into a zoo and later ended up where we are today. I think social media and peer pressure played a huge part in that."

True Mickey! Also, guided tours of all the fishy runs don't help the cause either.

Lance Gray
01-13-2018, 12:11 PM
We did catch fish at guides hole and at the next riffle up. All of them where small. It was great. The students had fun. As for sharing the whole creek to new fly fishers why not show them the entire creek. Not showing them the entire creek would be a disgrace to the creek.

Rossflyguy
01-15-2018, 09:31 AM
We did catch fish at guides hole and at the next riffle up. All of them where small. It was great. The students had fun. As for sharing the whole creek to new fly fishers why not show them the entire creek. Not showing them the entire creek would be a disgrace to the creek.

Anyone who wants to see the creek can walk the creek in a day for free. What’s a disgrace is a guide announcing the spawn is over because the spots you fish don’t have spawners and assume the river is done for the spawn. Kinda hard to believe that being true when you’ve just seen otters in the river for the first time. I’m sure you’re an ethical minded fisherman and we all realize we gotta pay bills. Just don’t make it sound like you’re in it only for the creek when you’re doing tours during the spawn. Pointing out all the redds for fisherman who most likely couldn’t resist catching a 10lb bow in a foot of water. Maybe doing tours when the water is 200 and above would be more helpful since that’s where people give up on the creek. And there are many fisherman who donate time and money to the creek but they don’t fish it during the spawn months. And I mean this in the least aggressive way. Do what you want it’s not illegal fishing spawners or the creek during spawn months but many people frown on this type of behavior for that fishery. Those fish need a break.

E.Drucker
01-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Anyone who wants to see the creek can walk the creek in a day for free. What’s a disgrace is a guide announcing the spawn is over because the spots you fish don’t have spawners and assume the river is done for the spawn. Kinda hard to believe that being true when you’ve just seen otters in the river for the first time. I’m sure you’re an ethical minded fisherman and we all realize we gotta pay bills. Just don’t make it sound like you’re in it only for the creek when you’re doing tours during the spawn. Pointing out all the redds for fisherman who most likely couldn’t resist catching a 10lb bow in a foot of water. Maybe doing tours when the water is 200 and above would be more helpful since that’s where people give up on the creek. And there are many fisherman who donate time and money to the creek but they don’t fish it during the spawn months. And I mean this in the least aggressive way. Do what you want it’s not illegal fishing spawners or the creek during spawn months but many people frown on this type of behavior for that fishery. Those fish need a break.

Amen brother...took the kids out for a walk saturday on Putah..plenty of spawning fish sighted..not too tough to find them when the creek's running at 70 CFS.

Morgan
01-15-2018, 12:20 PM
Maybe a closure needs to be implemented or petitioned for this time of year...? But, bad word of mouth travels faster than good word of mouth. So im sure those guides fishing a river that "should", be closed for spawn will have their karma catch up with them soon enough. Aren't the guides supposed to be leading by example?

Rossflyguy
01-15-2018, 01:32 PM
Maybe a closure needs to be implemented or petitioned for this time of year...? But, bad word of mouth travels faster than good word of mouth. So im sure those guides fishing a river that "should", be closed for spawn will have their karma catch up with them soon enough. Aren't the guides supposed to be leading by example?

A closure from November/December to February would be ideal.

Mickey
01-15-2018, 04:11 PM
User self regulation seems to be working fine. I'd choose to leave the gov't out of it, less you end up with November-April.

Lance Gray
01-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Okay folks this is getting a little troubling. This all started with a innocent post about seeing otters, and for the record it was my first time I saw otters on Putah Creek. Sorry to disappoint everyone that I haven't seen them more. I have seen other wildlife like pigs, deer, snakes and beavers - no otters.

My guiding is not the way I pay my bills. I actually have a full time job in law enforcement. So hate me for that. Not guiding.

As for the tours - many people that are beginners do not know where to start when they go to a new fishery. Some Fly Shops don't want to help they want to sell and boards like this get a bad name by having some board members not giving them good information. Most of the time they give them s*^t for asking questions. They need help. So they go on a tour. We show them the fishery, talk about the fishery, show them how to rig their rods and then help them while they fish. We do this at multiple fisheries around Northern Cali, just not Putah. People love it - even people on this board.

Defending what I do and how I do it - doesn't sit right with me. So to all of you people that are using handles out there I invite you to come to a tour and see what we do. Then you can judge me.

As for the closure I would love to see Putah closed from November 1 thru March 1. That would give the fish a great a large window to do their thing. I would sign that petition.

Mickey
01-15-2018, 05:04 PM
I've had a blue porch light for years :)

I've only seen one pig at putah; early 80's, I tried too kill it with a stick....LONG story but worthy of a couple fingers of bourbon around a campfire.

E.Drucker
01-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Okay folks this is getting a little troubling. This all started with a innocent post about seeing otters, and for the record it was my first time I saw otters on Putah Creek. Sorry to disappoint everyone that I haven't seen them more. I have seen other wildlife like pigs, deer, snakes and beavers - no otters.

My guiding is not the way I pay my bills. I actually have a full time job in law enforcement. So hate me for that. Not guiding.

As for the tours - many people that are beginners do not know where to start when they go to a new fishery. Some Fly Shops don't want to help they want to sell and boards like this get a bad name by having some board members not giving them good information. Most of the time they give them s*^t for asking questions. They need help. So they go on a tour. We show them the fishery, talk about the fishery, show them how to rig their rods and then help them while they fish. We do this at multiple fisheries around Northern Cali, just not Putah. People love it - even people on this board.

Defending what I do and how I do it - doesn't sit right with me. So to all of you people that are using handles out there I invite you to come to a tour and see what we do. Then you can judge me.

As for the closure I would love to see Putah closed from November 1 thru March 1. That would give the fish a great a large window to do their thing. I would sign that petition.

Why the heck would we hate you for working full time in law enforcement?!?! I think that's super amazing and commendable.

My name is Eben Drucker (thus E. Drucker...just whole thing wouldn't fit)...I don't think anyone is intentionally trying to be anonymous! I look forward to seeing you on Putah in February. If you see a silver subie outback stick around and say hello. We can discuss fishing/guiding Putah during the spawn in person.

Ralph
01-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Saw a big group of river otters on Putah Creek on Friday. Not good!!!

Scratching my head and wondering why seeing a family of otters is "not good." In my mind, part of a great day on the water is seeing wildlife, and otters are near the top of the list. We obviously fish for different reasons, which is totally fine. I've seen otters on Putah since the 70s - commonly enough that I have even gone there simply to film them. If you'll take the time to grab a stick and pick apart their scats (which are everywhere) you'll see they are comprised mostly of crayfish shells and squawfish scales.

Bryan Morgan
01-18-2018, 07:22 PM
Otters are a normal indigenous species in our rivers, but what is troubling, is the Sea Lion that was spotted in te AR basin at the Dam I have seen them as low as the Paradise Beach area but not as high as above Sailor. One guy I fished with videoed two at Sunrise. Let's put things in perspective-should DFW be concerned about our Salmon and Steelhead population?

cyama
01-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Otters are a normal indigenous species in our rivers, but what is troubling, is the Sea Lion that was spotted in te AR basin at the Dam I have seen them as low as the Paradise Beach area but not as high as above Sailor. One guy I fished with videoed two at Sunrise. Let's put things in perspective-should DFW be concerned about our Salmon and Steelhead population?

I think if you are worried about your local fisheries the best way to make a difference that you can see is to join a local fly fishing club. If you live in Sac CFFU is really active in conservation. If you live in Davis Fly Fishers of Davis is also really active in conservation. Both clubs get out there and help with shocking surveys, working with CDFW and you can actually talk to CDFW about your concerns and what they are doing to protect your fishing areas. I find it quite rewarding to try and save the fish!!!

Rossflyguy
01-18-2018, 09:15 PM

You wanna help salmon and steelhead petition against water allocation and volunteer with DFG and trout unlimited for habitat construction. Sea lions aren’t the problem. They’re showing us there’s a problem if they have to go that far up river for food.