PDA

View Full Version : We have thousands of fly fishers who have gone two-handed.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Sacramento is a hot bed for Spey / two-handed fly fishing.

Mostly because of the wonderful Lower American River.

Secondly because Jeff Putnam brought top people like Simon Gawesworth and Dec Hogan here.

The only downside to all this two handed fishing is our indicator sales have fallen off some.

Most are swinging flies for Steelhead.

Some are swinging flies for trout in larger streams with light two-handed rods.

Now they are thinking of taking their two-handers to Alaska.

A small number are going to Argentina for large Sea Run Brown trout.

We see a big interest in Atlantic Salmon now too.

Some are overhead casting on the Atlantic surf.

Others are overhead casting on lakes for big trout.

Where are you thinking of going with your two-handed fly rods?

cjkohen
01-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Because I'm still learning....Watt Ave. :)

PV_Premier
01-05-2018, 03:34 PM

The only downside to all this two handed fishing is our indicator sales have fallen off some.

HA! ;)

I use a bobber w/ my two handed switch rods at Pyramid. Roll casting on certain beaches is a lot easier than overhand and sometimes those longer casts are needed to reach the fish. If I have to roll cast all day I'd much rather have a 2 handed rod.

I also use a bobber and a switch rod for the egg bite at times...but have now mostly moved to 10' single handers for that application as I find it better for mending.

I've seen a few switch rods and bobbers around the Truckee when the water is high. They seem to have a bit of an advantage for heavy spring time indo rigs relative to single hand sticks.

My 2 handers though get by far the most usage for swinging on the Trinity, LAR, and Lower Yuba. This summer, I am planning to take them up to Canada to swing up some bull trout...time and $$ permitting.

Trouter925
01-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Nothing but Spey for me on the American until striper time. Still looking for that 1st adult steelhead. My card full of "0" in 2017...hard going but I'm going to get one on the swing this year!

TahoeJoe
01-05-2018, 05:09 PM
I was swinging soft hackles and streamers with a 5 wt switch rod on the Lower Yuba all summer. I even caught a nice fish on the swing during the eclipse. I mostly used the switch rod so that I'd improve my two handed casting. Less fish, more casting, for sure.

Next year, to learn something new, I plan to fish on river right as much as possible with my hands reversed - no more double spey casts!? We'll see how that goes...

--Joe

Half Pounder
01-05-2018, 07:42 PM
I just had my third spey-casting lesson with Jeff Putnam today on the AR and am grateful for his expertise, generosity, and patience. I have been fly fishing for about 40 years and am loving the new challenge of learning two-handed techniques, and I appreciate the positive community vibe that has flourished in the Sacramento area because of all the good folks promoting the sport through your shop, on this board, and on the water in these parts.

I am not getting rid of my single-handers just yet, but I use two-handed rods for overhead casting off beaches, jetties, and lakes. Most of my fishing is done by swinging flies and stripping streamers, and I am loving the two-handers for that.

BS
01-05-2018, 08:09 PM
HA! ;)

I use a bobber w/ my two handed switch rods at Pyramid. Roll casting on certain beaches is a lot easier than overhand and sometimes those longer casts are needed to reach the fish. If I have to roll cast all day I'd much rather have a 2 handed rod.

Not to hijack Bills intent of this post............

PV, would you mind sharing what line/set up you use for your "roll casting @ Pyramid".

I've been trying different lines/heads for this EXACT reason and just today received a S/A Scandi Extreme 560 grain head @ 38' to try on my 7wt. switch. Running line is P-line 50lb. Hydrofloat.

I "overline a bit" when trying to toss a 3/4" corkie with a tungsten bead,bug collared, balanced minnow/leech along with a tungsten bead nymph to depths between 8 and 15 feet.
It seems around 40 feet is my "max" head length for deploying all that junk to get any decent distance.

In round numbers 11 1/2'rod + 40' head + 15' leader with junk = ~65 feet.
I'm looking for that additional 30'-40' shoot at the end to get me close to 100'. :cool:

Many thanks,

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-05-2018, 11:23 PM
Because I'm still learning....Watt Ave. :)

Watt Avenue area is my favorite place to fish on the Lower American River.

The Klamath River, on average, is one of the most productive rivers for small / medium size Steelhead.

PV_Premier
01-06-2018, 08:57 AM
Not to hijack Bills intent of this post............

PV, would you mind sharing what line/set up you use for your "roll casting @ Pyramid".

I've been trying different lines/heads for this EXACT reason and just today received a S/A Scandi Extreme 560 grain head @ 38' to try on my 7wt. switch. Running line is P-line 50lb. Hydrofloat.

I "overline a bit" when trying to toss a 3/4" corkie with a tungsten bead,bug collared, balanced minnow/leech along with a tungsten bead nymph to depths between 8 and 15 feet.
It seems around 40 feet is my "max" head length for deploying all that junk to get any decent distance.

In round numbers 11 1/2'rod + 40' head + 15' leader with junk = ~65 feet.
I'm looking for that additional 30'-40' shoot at the end to get me close to 100'. :cool:

Many thanks,

Bob

I'm typically throwing a lighter rig than it sounds like you're using. I use an integrated Rio 6 or 7wt switch line (depending on wind) on a 5wt Redington Dually. You may want to try a shorter skagit head to move all that junk and get out to your shooting line sooner. OPST has an interesting video about throwing big nymph rigs with a commando head. I haven't tried it yet but I will probably give it a go at pyramid eventually. I think Rio single hand Spey might also be an interesting line for this application.

BS
01-06-2018, 11:52 AM
I'm typically throwing a lighter rig than it sounds like you're using. I use an integrated Rio 6 or 7wt switch line (depending on wind) on a 5wt Redington Dually. You may want to try a shorter skagit head to move all that junk and get out to your shooting line sooner. OPST has an interesting video about throwing big nymph rigs with a commando head. I haven't tried it yet but I will probably give it a go at pyramid eventually. I think Rio single hand Spey might also be an interesting line for this application.

Thanks for your reply PV.

I guess I shoulda' included that my rod(s) are Cabela's 1167 7wt. and a Reddington Dually 7113 7wt. :rolleyes:

Skagit head........Yep, been there and done that. They do move the "junk" and shoot a bit of line but it feels a bit clunky/awkward.......hence a longer head.
I'm taking off my 525 grain skagit head after I post this and going to give the SA Scandi Extreme 560 grain head a whirl and see what happens.

Re: integrated lines: I don't mind fishing floating shooting heads at Pyramid.
The P-line Hydrofloat seems to shoot a bit better than the running lines on integrated lines.
For me, it's a chuck, no mending, then wait for the indicator to disappear !!!!!! :D
I know,.............. that's not everyones "cup of tea". ;)

Practically everything I've read on the 'net having to do with skagit, scandi, or scandoid is based on moving water.

My quest is for a floating rig with maximum distance/least effort at Pyramid.

Thanks again,

Bob

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Thanks for your reply PV.

I guess I shoulda' included that my rod(s) are Cabela's 1167 7wt. and a Reddington Dually 7113 7wt. :rolleyes:

Skagit head........Yep, been there and done that. They do move the "junk" and shoot a bit of line but it feels a bit clunky/awkward.......hence a longer head.
I'm taking off my 525 grain skagit head after I post this and going to give the SA Scandi Extreme 560 grain head a whirl and see what happens.

Re: integrated lines: I don't mind fishing floating shooting heads at Pyramid.
The P-line Hydrofloat seems to shoot a bit better than the running lines on integrated lines.
For me, it's a chuck, no mending, then wait for the indicator to disappear !!!!!! :D
I know,.............. that's not everyones "cup of tea". ;)

Practically everything I've read on the 'net having to do with skagit, scandi, or scandoid is based on moving water.

My quest is for a floating rig with maximum distance/least effort at Pyramid.

Thanks again,

Bob
Wow!! 560 on a 7 switch seems way overloaded! Let us know what the outcome is

PV_Premier
01-06-2018, 04:46 PM
I'm taking off my 525 grain skagit head after I post this and going to give the SA Scandi Extreme 560 grain head a whirl and see what happens

I will be curious to hear how the scandi goes with that rig, I think you may have a hard time moving all that stuff without a lot of effort. I bought a Echo3 6110-4 recently and tossed a 325 OPST with it on the Trinity last weekend a bit...swinging, not nymphing...used a regular old 10' VL and 3' of 2x. I liked it, it shoots like a rocket with lazar running line and with very little effort. I may try this set up at Pyramid once or twice this spring with a bobber rig, and will add a 10' floating MOW or OPST tip if I feel I need a little more than the 15' head can provide. I feel like for my poor casting mechanics I don't want a head+leader combo that is more than 3x the length of my rod.

I have also heard good things about the Wulff Ambush and would like to give that a try eventually but I hate the idea of line collecting...ideally I prefer to try things before buying them...not always possible...

BS
01-06-2018, 07:58 PM
I will be curious to hear how the scandi goes with that rig, I think you may have a hard time moving all that stuff without a lot of effort. I bought a Echo3 6110-4 recently and tossed a 325 OPST with it on the Trinity last weekend a bit...swinging, not nymphing...used a regular old 10' VL and 3' of 2x. I liked it, it shoots like a rocket with lazar running line and with very little effort. I may try this set up at Pyramid once or twice this spring with a bobber rig, and will add a 10' floating MOW or OPST tip if I feel I need a little more than the 15' head can provide. I feel like for my poor casting mechanics I don't want a head+leader combo that is more than 3x the length of my rod.

I have also heard good things about the Wulff Ambush and would like to give that a try eventually but I hate the idea of line collecting...ideally I prefer to try things before buying them...not always possible...

Well O.K., here's what happened.
I went out and test cast the 560 grain scandi head from the shore of my local little pond.
My 7 wt. switch rod was rigged with the 560 head, a leader butt of ~2 feet (40 lb Maxima), and ~13 feet of Maxima 15lb Flourocarbon as tippet, with flies and indicator on the tippet. No poly leaders, No MOW tips, No cheaters.

I'm happy to report that it was EXACTLY what I've been searching for.
My rod didn't (at least to me) feel overloaded......... at all.

To cast, I just rolled the head out in front of me, formed the D loop, and before my weighted flies could sink too deeply, let 'er rip.

The whole setup rolled out in a straight line, at distance, just as I had hoped for and strangely enough MUCH BETTER AND EASIER than when I tried my 525 grain skagit head. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

At times there was a little bit of tail wind and then cross wind but I could hit that "magic mark" of ~100 feet I was looking for........... pretty easily too. :cool:

To me, it's a pretty impressive distance for a two handed roll cast from shore and will work perfect for me at Pyramid.

No more beating myself up by two handed overhead casting lots of junk !!!!!!!!!

As far as I'm concerned, EVERYTHING with this rig feels balanced and is VERY powerful.
I suspect as I fish this rig more often my casting distance will increase too.

I think some important thing(s) to note with my set-up are that:
1. There is no moving water involved to help load the rod. i.e. I'm able to "overline" a bit.
2. My cast with this rig is just an ordinary roll cast with a little bit of scandi style mixed in (not letting the flies sink too deep/almost a "touch and go" style).
3. Everyone has a different perspective of what their "perfect set-up" is. To me, I think I've found mine !!!! :)

I was so pleased with my results from today that when I got home I immediately ordered another 560 grain head as a "back up" since it appears they're being discontinued.

I'm a Happy Camper now !!!!!!!!! :D

And once again, I apologize to Bill Kiene for de-railing his original post and turning it into a "Switch Rod @ Pyramid" thread.

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-06-2018, 08:48 PM
I love all anglers, even those who use bait.

All fishermen should realize we are all brothers who love the fish, the water and the outdoors.

I spent 50 years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento area and several years were in a bait-n-tackle shop.

Those years when I was young working in the bait shop where some of my best memories.

Ed Wahl
01-07-2018, 12:41 AM
I love all anglers, even those who use bait.

All fishermen should realize we are all brothers who love the fish, the water and the outdoors.

I spent 50 years in the fishing tackle business in Sacramento area and several years were in a bait-n-tackle shop.

Those years when I was young working in the bait shop where some of my best memories.

This is why I like you so much Bill, you are an Outdoorsman. Not just a fly fisherman, or fisherman, or hunter, if it concerns the outdoors you're into it. It takes a lifetime to earn that distinction but Bill my friend, you've done it. We should share a campfire this year. I've got plenty of spots.
Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-07-2018, 09:24 AM
Thanks Ed

It means a lot to me because you are an "Outdoorsman" too.

You have a serious connection to the outdoors and a love for those who you meet out there too.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-07-2018, 12:50 PM
I just was informed by a helpful Pyramid Lake veteran that he prefers the Rio Switch Chucker floating line on his 7 weight Switch rod for indicator fishing.

He said there are constant changes up there so they are always having to adjust their plan of attack.

I told him I have not been up there for years so he is going to send me an email with his best advise so I might be successful.

When I get this email I will share it here.