PDA

View Full Version : Baja is on a recovery path.......video

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-01-2018, 01:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjChSKdulA

Carl Blackledge
01-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Bill,

I just received an email from a fishing buddy who owns a house in Loreto, He claims that there are billions of Sardines in Loreto right now, he said they are here by the "acres" Best news of the new year for me.

Carl Blackledge

Lew Riffle
01-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Gary Bulla introduced us to the wonders and good fishing up on the Partita at the start of the millennium with his kayak trips up that way. Sadly we saw theses guys at work and the impacts of this type of fishing take away whole areas where in years before were amazing. We even saw places come back only to get wacked again. Not simple politics about all this and I think Gary's trips were a victim of all this. What ever it takes I guess but time and education are key in saving these wonderful places.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-01-2018, 04:25 PM
This actually happened all over the world......most fisheries are down 90% in the past 50 years.

John H
01-05-2018, 09:42 AM
My family did a road trip to La Paz in 1973. It was the first year they had a paved road. We went with a guy named Poppy who had been driving the dirt road in his Jeep for many years. He had a sailboat there and we spent some days anchored at the islands in the video. Quite a trip when you are 10 years old. We went back in 81 and 83 and camped in the Mulege area. I went back to La Paz in 2007 and did a kayak trip to the islands with Bulla. Great trip but it made me sad to see the ocean being cleaned out. Did a diving trip to Cabo Pulmo a few years ago. That was was good. A lot of fish to see but not the large reef fish I would have expected.

JasonB
01-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Great to see a multi layered approach to address such problems. I hope they are able to build on their initial successes, perhaps more and more communities might recognize the value and fragility of their fisheries and implement similar strategies to protect them.
Thanks for sharing that, I needed a splash of optimismJB

Carl Blackledge
01-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Jason,

I don't know about you and your fishing places, but with me most everything I have really enjoyed has went to hell in a hand basket. Now after that being said Loreto is about the only place where I can go and get my fix on a regular basis so with me I am loving to see the "Baja" coming back really strong. *I called my guide the other day and he told me that they have billions of sardines and that is the best new years news I could have received, So maybe there is some hope left for our planet.

Carl Blackledge

PV_Premier
01-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Bill,

I just received an email from a fishing buddy who owns a house in Loreto, He claims that there are billions of Sardines in Loreto right now, he said they are here by the "acres" Best news of the new year for me.

Carl Blackledge

I was there over the holidays and this is very true. Heaps of them everywhere while we were snorkeling and boating.

Carl Blackledge
01-05-2018, 05:26 PM
PV,

In 2009 we had Sardines just like this year. We fished Sailfish and Marlin standing on the bow of the panga with about 40 feet of line ripped off the reel and our fly in hand just like Tarpon fishing, we caught fish all day long just by sight fishing. I am hoping this year will again be like that.

Carl Blackledge