PDA

View Full Version : Happy Holidays

Mark Kranhold
12-24-2017, 06:21 PM
Wishing everyone a happy and healthy one!!

EricO
12-25-2017, 02:54 PM
Same to you and your family Mark!

Here's to more lip ripping in 2018! Figuratively speaking, of course. :)

Eric O

johnsquires
12-26-2017, 09:18 AM
Happy Holidays. Be safe out there - seems to be an abundance of "it's all about me" drivers out this years.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-26-2017, 10:28 AM
We are all very lucky.......Merry Christmas to all.

mogaru
12-27-2017, 07:33 PM
Have you guys noticed this year we are allowed to say MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!! Even the major networks on TV said Merry Christmas..........Merry Christmas to all and I hope all of you got some fishing staff (rods,reels, etc)

johnsquires
12-27-2017, 07:53 PM
Have you guys noticed this year we are allowed to say MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!!! Even the major networks on TV said Merry Christmas..........Merry Christmas to all and I hope all of you got some fishing staff (rods,reels, etc)

Never saw a ban on saying "Merry Christmas." I've never stopped, don't know anyone who did. I have been guilty of every once in a while saying "Happy Holidays." I have seen people alluding to the fact that you're not allowed to say "Merry Christmas," but a bit of research shows the very folks accused of such a ban have frequently used the phrase, while some who criticized have indeed themselves been quoted as saying "Happy Holidays." Easily researched. Bottom line is, whatever makes you happy, I'm good with it. So Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and Happy New Years. Hoping 2018 brings folks together instead of dividing.

mogaru
12-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Never saw a ban on saying "Merry Christmas." I've never stopped, don't know anyone who did. I have been guilty of every once in a while saying "Happy Holidays." I have seen people alluding to the fact that you're not allowed to say "Merry Christmas," but a bit of research shows the very folks accused of such a ban have frequently used the phrase, while some who criticized have indeed themselves been quoted as saying "Happy Holidays." Easily researched. Bottom line is, whatever makes you happy, I'm good with it. So Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and Happy New Years. Hoping 2018 brings folks together instead of dividing.

Your first post say "happy holidays"......Since you do so much "research", I welcome you to google "war on christmas", however I have a feeling you already know. Anyway, nothing that people already know and is fully aware that is being happening for over a decade. Censorship and political correctness apart, Merry Christmas and a happy and wonderfull new year to all.

johnsquires
12-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Merry Christmas.

lairdbaird
12-28-2017, 06:37 PM
Sounds like some of you guys were dumb/racist enough to vote for the p**sy grabber. Bad form, really, to talk about politics in a usually nice forum like this, but since you went there...really makes a lot of sense for a catch and release fly fisherman (assuming that’s what the vast majority of us on this forum are) to vote for a real estate magnate from queens whose nominee to head the EPA has sued the very same agency over 30 times the past decade, and is a shill for oil companies. And then there’s what’s been going on with federal land lately. Really no cure for stupidity. Reminds me of the guys I work with in construction who voted for trump; somehow they think the billionaire who’s never worked an honest day in his life cares about working people? ��
Just don’t complain when there’s no wild trout in 20,30,40 years, the guy doesn’t even believe in global warming for Chris sakes, but I’d imagine you don’t either. Happy kwanza.

Carl Blackledge
12-28-2017, 10:58 PM
GO hug a tree

Norman B
12-29-2017, 09:05 AM
I hug a tree everyday.
I think that fly fisherman are by definition environmentalists.
And by the way, many Americans don’t celebrate Christmas.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all, (except to water polluters and people that don’t believe in science).

JasonB
12-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Cheers Mark for a well intentioned thread! Hope everyone is having some merriment, and some happiness, enjoying the winter solstice time, and maybe even getting in some fishing time. Had the best Christmas Day I have had in years: spent the day steelheading with two good folks, drank some single malt in front of a campfire, and even managed to catch a steelhead (had been way too long since the last one)! Life is too short to bother arguing over what days we choose to celebrate, or how we celebrate them. Call them whatever you want too. Cheers to all, best of luck in the coming fishing season as well!
JB

Andy Guibord
12-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Same to you, Mark.

johnsquires
12-30-2017, 09:19 AM
I hug a tree everyday.
I think that fly fisherman are by definition environmentalists.

I hope you're right, Norman.
We should all be thankful for trees. We owe them our very existence. What's not to love about trees?

mogaru
12-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Wow, I've never would have imagined "Christmas" and "Merry Christmas" would trigger such a discomfort and hate in some. Must be having a terrible time during the "Christmas holidays".............Have a happy new year and enjoy it while it last.

Mark Kranhold
12-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Thanks to everyone with kind intentions! Wow, I didn't realize this was going to turn into the politically correct thread. Jason looks like you and Gary had a Merry Christmas all of us here on this board would of loved to had! Gary sent my some pics of your fish and the trip, congrats to both of you and what a way to spend Christmas!!��������

JasonB
12-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Wow, I've never would have imagined "Christmas" and "Merry Christmas" would trigger such a discomfort and hate in some. Must be having a terrible time during the "Christmas holidays".............Have a happy new year and enjoy it while it last.

Kind of poor form using Marks genuinely friendly thread to go on your own rant in my humble opinion. Since you apparently have an issue that you wish to make, perhaps it would be better to debate such grammatical and political distinctions in a separate thread? Or a different forum! Not much in the way of hate in me, I am having a lovely holiday season, hope you are too.

Mark, mere words just cannot do proper justice to how magical that day was, though I’d bet a dollar Gary mentioned a few of the particulars that made it so. All I can say is that it was a very blessed day (and trip) on many levels. It is a special time of year for many reasons, but the returning steelhead are always at the top of my thoughts and dreams.
Cheers to all,
Happy new year as well!

lairdbaird
12-30-2017, 11:47 AM
Ive got no problem with christmas, celebrate it every year with my family, albeit in a secular sense. Also nothing wrong with wishing someone merry Christmas instead of happy holidays. I take issue with the notion of a “war on Christmas” that mogaru brought up. I googled it as he suggests, and saw plenty from the Alex Jones/info wars crowd. That’s a man who, despite his funny voice, literally believes sandy hook was staged by the government and the 20 or so children murdered were child actors!
What bothers me is this phony victimization. Wishing somebody happy holidays to try to include everyone is not waging a war on Xmas (I do see the other side though, because it’s absurd to say it’s politically incorrect to wish someone merry Christmas instead of happy holidays). People of color protesting racial injustice and inequality are not waging a “war on white people”. And lastly all the women currently speaking out against harassment now are not waging a “war on men”. As I said earlier, really bad form to talk about politics on a fly fishing forum, though sometimes there is some crossover with environmental/water issues, but you went there first mogaru

mogaru
12-30-2017, 12:08 PM
If you read my first post you could see there is nothing political, simply a personal observation. Instead, some people erroneously chose to see it as political statement. Not only that, some like lairbaird, took it a little bit further insulting with words like "dumb and racist" (sorry I'm not a Trump voter) . They are the ones, who turn it political, not me. They are the ones, who quote me. Respect to be respected and be tolerant with someone else ideas. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all.

Sheepdog8404
12-30-2017, 12:11 PM
... but you went there first mogaru

Dude (lairdbird), you are the one who single-handedly changed the mood of this thread with your original post. Your radical politicization has squandered Mark's gentle intentions by creating this thread. In many other forums I have contributed to, your actions would result in banishment from the forum entirely...

Shut up, take your sorry ass 12 posts and go home if this is what you have to offer to this board.

mogaru
12-30-2017, 12:22 PM
Dude, you are the one who single-handedly changed the mood of this thread with your original post. Your radical politicization has squandered Mark's gentle intentions by creating this thread. In many other forums I have contributed to, your actions would result in banishment from the forum entirely...

Shut up, take your sorry ass 12 posts and go home if this is what you have to offer to this board.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to you too!!!!

Sheepdog8404
12-30-2017, 12:25 PM
My apologies Mogaru. My post was directed towards Lairbird, not you. Merry Christmas!

mogaru
12-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Apologies accepted.