PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing near Boise, Idaho this month?

EricO
12-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Hi All,

My wife and I are taking a road trip next week up to the Boise area. Never been
there and figure we'd check out the town since friends of ours loved their visit
last year.

So that said, any opportunities to fly fish around that area (within say, two hours)
in winter? The forecast is fairly cold, high in the 30s, but would like to toss a line
if it could be productive. I'd assume midges and more midges, but any intel would
be great.

If not, any other recommendations for non-fishing related stuff to visit in Boise area
would be mucho appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric O

PV_Premier
12-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Yes. Call the Boise Anglers fly shop or pay them a visit. They have good intel but their website fishing report is a bit dated at the moment.

EricO
12-21-2017, 02:21 PM
Thanks PV!

JayDubP
12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Thanks PV!

Boise River- right in town

boiseanglers.com (Boise Anglers fly shop-- on Overland Ave)
idahoangler.com ( Idaho Fly Shop on Vista Ave)- their fishing reports are more accurate.

They offer walk and wade guided half day and full day on the Boise River in Town. There is a Greenbelt with bike/walking path along the river so there are lots of easy access points.

PM SENT

FlyFisher007
12-22-2017, 11:38 PM
Sent you a PM EricO

EricO
12-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the PMs guys. Appreciate it. Love this board!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Eric

Chazbowski
12-24-2017, 04:23 PM
I've fished the Owyhee River below the dam (in Oregon) a few times in summer/fall and always had success. I know they lower flows in winter but there may be opportunity. Big browns... 1-1.5hrs from Boise.

Idadon
12-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Right in town. Size 14-16 bead head PT Nymphs always worked for me. Midges might be out but but the fish don't always get on them. Fish the deep runs slow and thorough, you usually have to bump em on the nose.

EricO
12-25-2017, 01:14 PM
thanks Chaz and Idadon,

Putting the flybox together today.

Merry Christmas

Eric