PDA

View Full Version : Who guides float trips on the Nevada side of the T

John Sv
12-19-2017, 04:21 PM
Want to get my Dad out; wading isn't his thing any more but a float might be nice. Who floats the T east of Sparks in winter? A guide more interested in floating/chatting that's less interested in teaching technique and "slaying or crushing them" would be preferred if I were to get picky in my request.
Thanks!

cdevine
12-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Matt "gilligan" koles. I would be lying if I said he wasn't one of the best. He knows Nevada side well and runs his rig through nature conservancy east of sparks. Google his website. He always has accurate reports and has a way with "words". Really solid dude and has that niche down.

John Sv
12-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Thanks! My wife used to work with Matt. Agreed he is a good guy. Anyone else though or does he have the monopoly?

cdevine
12-20-2017, 09:11 AM
John,

I''m really not sure in terms of anybody else who actually "floats" it. Arlo Townsend is somebody who I highly recommend for walk and wade NV side if that is an option. Maybe ping the Reno Fly Shop? Those guys always treat me nice. You know the "locals" on the CA side but sounds like you want to focus east of reno. (which I fished a lot back in 2009-13) before the drought. Hearing some decent reports but it will be another couple of years I think before its back to glory days if we get the flows.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

BumpBailey
12-20-2017, 09:14 AM
I've fished with Gilligan and he was great! If he doesn't work with your time frame check out Matt Heron(he has a website and is based out of Squaw Valley- I think). I haven't fished with him specifically but have spoken with him a few times and comes highly recommended. The one time I tried to book him he wasn't available but he set me up with Dan LeCount who was great too! All three of these guys know the Truckee well and I will hire them again. I don't know for sure but, I would think that Matt and Dan fish the Nevada side too! Enjoy the day with your Pops!

cdevine
12-20-2017, 10:40 AM
Matt and Dan are awesome. Fished with all of them. Great dudes and really good if you have children. God they were patient. But I'm almost positive they are only licensed/permitted on the CA side. Mike Anderson is another guy who is really good out of Reno. Just don't know if he actually floats it.

Flows are great all through the Truckee system for the winter. Weather is looking nice. I would seriously try and get something on the schedule in the next 2 weeks. Those sunny days down there in the high desert can be fun. Not uncommon to be 20 degrees warmer or more.

John Sv
12-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Matt and Dan are awesome. Fished with all of them. Great dudes and really good if you have children. God they were patient. But I'm almost positive they are only licensed/permitted on the CA side. Mike Anderson is another guy who is really good out of Reno. Just don't know if he actually floats it.

Flows are great all through the Truckee system for the winter. Weather is looking nice. I would seriously try and get something on the schedule in the next 2 weeks. Those sunny days down there in the high desert can be fun. Not uncommon to be 20 degrees warmer or more.

Thanks
Float is the crux since my Dad can't walk/wade any more. If he could walk/wade I'd just take him there, but we need a boat. Our canoe-I use it on the T but I don't want to dump him in the drink on accident.
Thanks again for the heads ups and guide opinions....

Gregg
12-20-2017, 06:14 PM
Echoing what everyone else here is saying. Gilligan. He finds the fish and is just an all around good dude to hang with. I've been on his new raft and it's super fun / easy to get in and out of if mobility is an issue.

John Sv
12-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Appreciate it everyone! Yup Gilligan used to work with my wife; he's a good guy. Sounds like he has the market cornered!
Happy Holidays,
John

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-21-2017, 11:02 AM
I guess most of the Truckee River has good access so floating it is not too popular.

Seems like the access and the size of a river has a lot to do with floating or not.