PDA

View Full Version : Drag: Disk versus click pawl

Quetal
12-12-2017, 10:50 AM
What is the difference between disk drag & click-pawl? One better then the other? One just a cheap way to build a reel? Would appreciate any and all insight. Thanks, Henry

Mark Kranhold
12-12-2017, 11:22 AM
Many variables here! Expensive to cheap with both reels your talking about. May I ask what fish you will be targeting? That will make a big difference on what to choose.

Woodman
12-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Click and pawl isn't really a drag as much as it just prevents overrun and birdsnest of your line. It's a gear and a spring that provides some tension. That said, if you're fishing for trout, you will land a large majority of your fish by stripping them in. A percentage of the rest you may get on the reel, but you can palm the rim (if it's constructed that way) if you need more drag. Only rarely will you really need a disk drag on a trout stream.

A disk drag has teflon, cork, or some other material that can be tightened against the reel spool to provide resistance. There are a number of quality reels with good disk drags in a moderate price range. Personally, I would only buy a click and pawl reel for a 4 weight or smaller if I knew I would only be using it on small streams.

TahoeJoe
12-13-2017, 08:49 AM
CNC machined, large arbor disk reels have more advanced engineering than click and pawl but click and pawl type reels have worked fine for more than a century. The Hardy Perfect hasn't changed much since it was originally released in 1891 and they still make it. If someone gave me one for Christmas I would proudly use it on my best Steelhead rod.

I like click and pawl reels best in the smaller sizes too. I go up to a size 6 for most trout use but use a 6 wt cork disk type for Pyramid Lake since the fish can run bigger. But, there's nothing like the sound of a Hardy pawl reel clicking (screaming?) with a big fish taking a run. Abel used to make fine click and pawl reels too. Some people don't like the noise and wouldn't agree with me.

Disk drag is (mostly) better in the larger sizes for Steelhead, Salmon or Saltwater, although a lot of nice fish have been landed on pawl type reels. Disk drags are quieter, smoother and the drag actually does something and is very adjustable. You can palm a disk drag spool too just like click and pawl so you get the best of both worlds. Supposedly, they have less start up inertia which could save you from a breakoff when you first have a fish on. That's hard for me to quantify but it does make sense.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-13-2017, 08:53 AM
The click-n-pawl or ratchet drag is consistent, smooth and good for fishing where a light drag is all you need.

It can be a bit noisier too.

The disc drag is better when you need more drag to slow the fish down.

The disc drag is usually quieter.

Carl Blackledge
12-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Bill,

I think the old Hardy and the newer SA click and pawl reels were both entry level reels in the old days and if they didn't scream and make that famous noise that all the Steelheader's love, they would have left town with the Buffalo.

I fish Salmon out of my pram and use the Abel spey reels (clickers) sometimes they make so much noise it's almost embarrassing, however the crowd seem to love it. I have two ABEL spey reels one bright red and the other in shinny black for sale.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

Carl Blackledge
12-13-2017, 10:00 AM
CNC machined, large arbor disk reels have more advanced engineering than click and pawl but click and pawl type reels have worked fine for more than a century. The Hardy Perfect hasn't changed much since it was originally released in 1891 and they still make it. If someone gave me one for Christmas I would proudly use it on my best Steelhead rod.

I like click and pawl reels best in the smaller sizes too. I go up to a size 6 for most trout use but use a 6 wt cork disk type for Pyramid Lake since the fish can run bigger. But, there's nothing like the sound of a Hardy pawl reel clicking (screaming?) with a big fish taking a run. Abel still makes fine click a pawl reels too. Some people don't like the noise and wouldn't agree with me.

Disk drag is (mostly) better in the larger sizes for Steelhead, Salmon or Saltwater, although a lot of nice fish have been landed on pawl type reels. Disk drags are quieter, smoother and the drag actually does something and is very adjustable. You can palm a disk drag spool too just like click an pawl so you get the best of both worlds. Supposedly, they have less start up torque which could save you from a breakoff when you first have a fish on. That's hard for me to quantify but it does make sense.

I am pretty sure that the Abel clickers are discontinued.

I have two of them and they are both for sale.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

TahoeJoe
12-13-2017, 10:14 AM
I am pretty sure that the Abel clickers are discontinued.

I have two of them and they are both for sale.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

I stand corrected. I just checked Abel's website, Abel doesn't make click and pawl reels anymore. But I know where you you might get a used one for a fair price. ;-)

--Joe

Ned Morris
12-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Thompson 100 and 1948 Hardy Perfect 3-5/8" are my two favorite clicker reels of all time. My JW Youngs Sage Model 106M from 1988 has landed many Steelhead as you can palm the edge of the spool as needed. By same token my Scientific Anglers System II that is 25 years old and the disc still going strong after landing all types of Salmon over the years. I like them all.

Trouter925
12-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Carl, are your reels on the classifieds here? Which models and $?

Carl Blackledge
12-15-2017, 05:31 PM
I want $400.00 each and they aren't on the classifieds, if you really are interested I can send you pictures both reels come with backing.

These are the Abel Spey reels...they are just an American made Hardy except they are machined out of aluminum and stainless steel, real loud clickers.

I also have 3 each almost new ABEL Super 11s I won't need anymore. I have so many reels I don't know what to do with all of them, I might as well sell some of these that I don't need anymore.

carlblackiedge@aol.com

luckydude
12-15-2017, 06:37 PM
What is the difference between disk drag & click-pawl? One better then the other? One just a cheap way to build a reel? Would appreciate any and all insight. Thanks, Henry

I own both and don't care for the click and pawl.

The click and pawls I own are:

Lampson LP 1.5
Ross Colorado LT (I will give it that it is super light)
Forbes (even more light weight)

The Forbes, which can be found on eBay from time to time, is the last reel here:

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/fly-fishing-FS/2.html

I was going to sell mine but I think I'll keep it, it was $80 and it is so light weight you could pair it with a 1wt or 2wt and it would be fine. The other stuff is still for sale.

I find click and pawl noisy and you can't spin them. Apparently the spinning thing isn't universally known (I got
a Bauer reel off this forum and it didn't spin and I asked Bauer about it and they had no idea what I was talking
about). So spinning is instead of reeling in line, you wack the rim to spin the reel and take up loose line much
faster. It's super useful once you get it and click and pawl can't do that.

One thing I will give click and pawl is that they are as simple as you can get. There's basically nothing to break.

Trouter925
12-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info Carl. I’m looking for the switch model. Illl keep an eye out

RSK
12-19-2017, 09:03 PM
Henry, here are my thoughts on your question.
Both will catch fish. You can get either as a piece of junk up to a hand crafted fortune. Both have good and bad designs out there.
I prefer the Click Pawl because of how it puts you in touch and ties you in with what is going on when you hook into a hot fish. It is up to you as to how much drag to add with your hand and you can tell by how loud the reel is screaming and how the rpms are sounding what kind of escape the fish is trying to make. I also love the older hardy's and reels without counterbalances because they will start to wobble like crazy when a steelhead makes a fast run. One more thing to add to the excitement.

All kinds of preferences but one of the traits mentioned of some of the disc drags I really hate. "spinning"
Some of the disc drag reels I have owned would do this from the motion of casting my spey rod. They would reel up the line I had out for shooting all by themselves and I found myself constantly having to strip more line out because of this.

For the salt I still go for the disc. Except when I get a chance for searun cutts off the shore.

Russell