PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Braided fishing line VS Monofilament fishing line

Pollywog
12-07-2017, 01:30 PM
I don't know if this was already discussed however that one is better? My personal view, I personally like monofilament fishing line, however, my brother loves the braided fishing line (https://itday.com/fishing/best-braided-fishing-line-review-guide-fishing-lovers/). I prefer to think about the braided line as cheating line and he thinks of a mono line as suck ass line. To me braided line never pop thus once you get a giant fish on there you don't have to be compelled to worry concerning the line sound. However, with the mono line, you have got to watch out and know what you're doing if you get a giant fish on there.
What area unit your thoughts?
What is that the best mono line to use for saltwater fishing? :)

Darian
12-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Since it sounds like you're asking about bait/lure fishing, I've used both types of lines over my life of fishing in fresh/saltwater and don't feel that one is better than the other over-all. Each type line has it's time/place. It's a personal choice.

As applied to fly fishing, no mystery to monofilament lines (you make your choice of brands, diameter/pound test) but there're many different brands, types/diameters/materials of braided lines to choose from. The main purpose these lines is to provide backing to the fly line for fighting fish (big or little). Mono lines tend to have some stretch to the material under stress, then rebound after the stress is relieved. Braided lines tend to stretch less providing positive connection when hooking a fish.

Back to bait/lure fishing, when using a mono line for large, pelagic fish as in Albacore fishing, mono stretches becoming a smaller diameter than when wound on the reel while under the stress of the run. After it's wound back onto the reel spool during the fight it tends to try to return to its original diameter (mono has memory). If that spool is plastic when enough pressure builds up from the mono, it will break the spool. No such problem with braided lines.

Not sure how you got the impression of cheating by using either but no cheating involved with either type as far as I'm concerned.

mems
12-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Braid, thinner diameter, more resistant to abrasion, better feel while bottom fishing or live bait, cuts like a knife, last a long time, but is expensive. Mono, cheaper, stretches so good on big fish that like to jump, like tarpon, but flattens out when fighting a big fish and then coils and creates bad backlashes. Too much give for bottom fishing or live bait, stretch leads to poor hooksets. For me, I use braid, love the stuff. Mems.