PDA

View Full Version : Wtb fly rods

Carl Blackledge
12-06-2017, 01:04 PM
Hey guys,

I have a bunch of new guys who have decided to join us on our annual trip to Loreto, Mexico this year. These guys are looking for some TOP end fly rods in 12 wt (hopefully Sage) 3 or 4 piece fly rods would be perfect.

If any of you have any top end fly reels (cork only) they will need 3-or 4 of them also

Thanks for looking

carlblackiedge@aol.com

Tony Buzolich
12-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Carl,

You can't get much higher end than an Abel 12 SF 9012-3 9'0" 12 Line I bought this right from Steve Abel himself a few years
Made In the U.S.A.

ago at the San Mateo Fly Show. I have all the original sock and carrying case with strap and have only used it a couple of times in San Diego for shark and in La Paz for dorado, yellowfin, etc. The rod looks like new without the slightest nick or mar.

I hate to part with it but I've gotten spoiled traveling with four piece rods. I don't know if I could less than $500.00 for it, OBO?

Tony

Baja Fly Fisher
12-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Why 12wt and why top end. If these are new guys to fishing the salt, casting a 12 wt all day will kill their arms. What do you plan on catching? I my opinion, this is why there aren't a lot more people into fly fishing. They see the cost of the getting started in to
fly fishing (like the rods, reels,) and shy away from fly fishing. For their first trip, why don't you loan them some of your equipment to help cut down some of their expenses.

Carl Blackledge
12-07-2017, 11:20 AM
You and I have completely different views on fishing. I don’t sell trips or make a commission on my trips to Loreto. Lending people equipment is fine for you because it’s part of your business. I would rather have used, top-end equipment that I know will perform rather than new, sub-standard stuff or equipment that’s not right for the situation. Many of the “veterans” in our Loreto group learned the hard way about cheap rods and oversize trout reels for use in salt water, and especially with salt water fish. We don't cast all day long; we troll locator flies and find the fish, then we site-cast and, yes, we will go home with dead arms from fighting fish (much of the time), not casting. As far as why more people aren’t into fly fishing, I think that’s a different discussion and in a situation like Loreto, if you’re going to spend the money for the flight, the guide and the lodging, why not spend a bit more for good equipment? Just my 2 cents.

PS perhaps if you lowered the price of your trips "more" people might be interested?

Carl Blackledge