PDA

View Full Version : Felt Vs. Vibram

ricards
12-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Well, the time has come for me to send my Freestone Boots back to Simms for new outsoles. The question is: Should I have them resoled with felt or Vibram? I will not be fishing anywhere, any time soon, where felt is verboten (such as Alaska). But I understand that Yellowstone will probably be outlawing felt next year, and I fear that California and Oregon might someday follow suit. Has anyone had experience with Vibram soles and aluminium Star Cleats? Do they offer comparable traction to felt with studs?

Bob G
12-04-2017, 05:15 PM
No.

Good Luck, Bob

PV_Premier
12-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Nothing compares to felt and studs. I recently fished in NZ with vibram and didn't fall at all, but I also really was cognizant to take my time. I'm still young which helps, but if felt is an option, I'm wearing it.

NCL
12-05-2017, 07:25 AM
Well, the time has come for me to send my Freestone Boots back to Simms for new outsoles. The question is: Should I have them resoled with felt or Vibram? I will not be fishing anywhere, any time soon, where felt is verboten (such as Alaska). But I understand that Yellowstone will probably be outlawing felt next year, and I fear that California and Oregon might someday follow suit. Has anyone had experience with Vibram soles and aluminium Star Cleats? Do they offer comparable traction to felt with studs?

I have used the vibram soles with the Patagonia crampon aluminum bars. This set up works great. The advantage to the crampons is you can remove them when is a boat or the hike into an area.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-05-2017, 07:38 AM
I know that any aluminum does help.....it does wear out but helps in sticking.

bigfly
12-05-2017, 08:01 AM
When I started fishing in winter, I switched to rubber and studded. Didn't like the ice/snow build-up with felt.
Now it's studs and rubber year-round!
Stars go the way of all studs..........four up front, and four in the back is a good pattern
But I put a couple of studs in the arch of the boot...works better.

Jim

TahoeJoe
12-05-2017, 08:10 AM
I'm in the felt camp. Given a choice, nothing beats it especially on river snot. Felt sucks on dry shoreline rock after they pick up some sand. I've crashed because of it. I hear that that felt is also bad if there is snow on the banks. The snow sticks to them.

The Vibram soles on Simms and sticky soles on the Patagonia boots work. Cleats help but most guys won't let you use them in them in a boat for obvious reasons. Sheet metal screw work pretty well and are cheap compared to the carbide or aluminum options. I use motorcycle tire ice screws http://koldkutter.com/ , basically they are hardened and modified sheet metal screws. You can buy a lifetime supply for the price of one set of carbide cleats and just change them out when they wear out.

I have no experience with the aluminum bars. Seems like a good idea.

--Joe

Andy Guibord
12-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Vibram soles with the aluminum star bite studs work well for me. The aluminum is much stickier than steel but does not last as long. I like to put Aquaseal or Goop cement on the threads before screwing into the rubber to help prevent the loss of the expensive Simm’s studs.

ricards
12-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Thanks all for your input. Not an easy decision, but as long as felt is still an option, I'll probably go that route.

mogaru
12-05-2017, 11:21 AM
I remember when we used to have only one pair of fishing boots.......but the industries are very smart at finding ways of selling you more and more. I remember all the postings saying that felt soles boots would be ban everywhere and everybody rushed to buy rubber soles. Even wading boots manufacturers stop making felt sole boots. Time proofed felt soles have better grip than rubber and many of us went back to felt. By this time, we were used to have two pair of boots instead one..........By the way, most of the "aquatic insects" are transported up in the front in the shoes laces area of the boot

Terry Thomas
12-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Nothing beats felt with studs...if you don’t have to deal with snow, of course.

Reese
12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
I've had rubber only for the past five years and haven't missed felt more than once or twice.

I'll second Jim's recommendation of studs in the arch. Can't tell you how often that has saved me from a fall. Just make sure to put some of the other studs under your primary points of contact: ball of the foot, under the pinkie toe, center of your heel, etc. It makes a big difference rather than just a random pattern.

I've kept an older pair of boots around for boat use. Since I'm floating when I'm using them, I'm not as concerned with tread quality on them.