PDA

View Full Version : Echo Shadow II Rods

flyfish62
12-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Does anyone have any experience with this rod in 10' 6" 4 weight? I'm looking at it for a euro nymphing rod. I want to be able to tight line nymph but be able to put an indicator on it to fish deeper runs. Kind of a combination nymphing rod. Most of the euro rods are too soft to actually cast a conventional loop or an indicator. Any help would be appreciated.

NCL
12-02-2017, 08:37 AM
I have that rod but I have only fished it once so not sure how much help I will be able to provide. I fished the rod with a floating line, not as a euro nymph rod. To the best of my memory it performed great in that mode.

PV_Premier
12-02-2017, 09:09 AM
No experience with this one, but the Redington hydrogen 10' #4 is a dandy. So is the Cortland competition nymph 10'6" #4

JayDubP
12-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this rod in 10' 6" 4 weight? I'm looking at it for a euro nymphing rod. I want to be able to tight line nymph but be able to put an indicator on it to fish deeper runs. Kind of a combination nymphing rod. Most of the euro rods are too soft to actually cast a conventional loop or an indicator. Any help would be appreciated.

I have previous model- Shadow PE in 3wt & for 4+ years have used it exactly as you plan. In fact the reviews of the PE mentioned it was designed for euro nymphing. PE is stiff but has a light tip-- which gives it good accuracy (not much tip wobble- tip wobble is common with longer mid-range rods) with softness to play bigger fish on light tippet. Has the backbone to sling indicators when needed. Have used it to throw dries in a pinch and it was serviceable, but not for repeated casting all day.

Cast the rod before you buy. I found the 3wt fit my style, maybe it is the extra length but it feels stronger/sturdier than a 3wt. Most days I use a 3wt line nymphing but on bigger water where I am casting more I may use 5wt- again, personal preference. Also, my PE is light but tip heavy--- so matching with a right reel was critical. I found the Lamson Velocity Hard Alox II in 2.0 was perfect balance.

Jim

flyfish62
12-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Thanks so much Jim. This helps a lot. Kind of tired of straight indicator fishing.
Don

Travis A
12-05-2017, 11:13 PM
I have the 4wt Shadow II and it’s fantastic. I use it for a wide range of applications from tight line and indicator nymphing, with dry flies, and my personal favorite single hand spey casting to swing soft hackles. It is a extremely versatile rod and I use the 5wt RIO single hand spey line for most styles of fishing. I’d be glad to answer any more questions you have, just let me know.

SB Gaucho
12-06-2017, 02:19 PM
I use the 4wt Shadow II as well and have loved it so far. It handles everything...big indo rigs, tight-lining, I've even used it on the NFYR to throw dries when I let my buddy's wife use my 9' rod for the day. Echo's customer service has been great too, I broke the tip bush-whacking during my first tip to the Pit and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks for $35 warranty fee.