PDA

View Full Version : Australia - Gulf of Carpentaria

ted1
11-29-2017, 11:23 AM
Hello Ladies and Gents - it's been a while but I'd love some input on fly type and tackle suggestions for Australia's Weipa/Gulf of Carpentaria region. I'll likely be fishing for 3-4 days in mid-June 2018. Hoping to target queenfish, spanish mackerel, trevally, barramundi - and would love to get my hands on some tarpon, permit, and a GT or two :)

Doing some research to see what I can expect to catch that time of year, but it seems that these are all in play. Need to dust off the vise and re-learn how to tie some saltwater patterns. Of course, any advice on what to expect down there is much appreciated.

I will likely be using this guide: http://www.weipaflyfish.com.au/

Carl Blackledge
11-29-2017, 01:24 PM
Ted,

Your guide should be all over what you need, and should have the proper flies for you.

Carl

ted1
11-29-2017, 04:19 PM
I hope so, but I'd like to tie my own and would like to know what others have had success with for those species.

Carl Blackledge
11-29-2017, 04:27 PM
The guide would still be your best bet....send him an email and ask him, my suggestion is don't tie anything till you talk to the guide....my 2 cents

Carl

Baja Fly Fisher
11-29-2017, 06:05 PM
I've been there 7 times. Then the fishing was fantastic but has died off since then. Don't get me wrong, it's still good fishing. We fished the Gulf of Carpentaria, living on a mothership for 8 days with 6 1/2 days of fishing from skiffs.

If you like, send me an email and I will tell you what you would probably need to take. Who are you fishing with, what outfitter.
One thing, regarding the tarpon. They are not big. The biggest ones we caught were no more than 2 lbs. Of the species we caught, the permit (snub nose permit) were the toughest fish to catch. There are 7 different species of trevally to catch, I got one GT fishing from a skiff that was tied to the mother ship while the group used burley to catch the rock fish. GT's came up to eat and they were willing to grab the fly. My largest was 22 lbs but that was more than I wanted. I was using a 9 wt Loomis GLX.
Queen fish were decent size, my largest was 27 lbs. They jump and fight like a dorado. Long tail tuna will test your equipment.

All these species and the thing about it, you don't need to chum them up. Just follow the balls of bait and you'll be into them.

Like I mentioned, send me an email and I will discuss with you. I will also send you some photo's of the fish and places we fished.

Also, if you want I have a couple video's that were shot and edited by our host Greg Bethune. But they are on VHS, yep old school.

Jay

Baja Fly Fisher
11-29-2017, 06:07 PM
We went one time in the end of June the first part of July. We had alot of rain and winds. This is there winter time. I found that late September or the first couple weeks of October we had some decent fishing days.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-29-2017, 06:34 PM
Ted,

Better yet, if you like you could PM your phone number and I will call you. It's easier for me to discuss over the phone rather than typing a novel. Up to you

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks Jay.......

Baja Fly Fisher
12-02-2017, 08:51 AM
For those of you who do FB, i posted a few photo's on the page. I sent Ted1 a few other photo's to show what's available.

ted1
12-03-2017, 08:04 AM
Thanks Jay for the great info, very enlightening. If I can somehow afford the price, I'll be there. Also considering staying in the Sydney harbor for kingfish and sea trout - which is a more affordable option as I'll already be in Sydney.

dynaflow
12-03-2017, 10:01 PM
"Fish" Philliskirk is one of the best Guides in the country and you won't be disappointed here.As mentioned by other Forumites he will advise the best flies... like Pink Things & Black 'n Barred for Barra etc....and re Sydney,the Kingfish in the harbour will test your equipment,and there's no Sea Trout anywhere near here.You may be referring to (Australian)Salmon?.
Cheers

Baja Fly Fisher
12-04-2017, 09:20 AM
opps, forgot to mention the "pink thing". They worked good for the few Barra's we caught in the Jackson river

ted1
12-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Yes, I meant their salmon - not sure where I came up with sea trout.... I've been communicating with Philliskirk - if I can afford it I may go down that road. Thank you.

dynaflow
12-05-2017, 11:20 PM
Yes, I meant their salmon - not sure where I came up with sea trout.... I've been communicating with Philliskirk - if I can afford it I may go down that road. Thank you.
Justin Duggan is your go-to Guide in Sydney Harbour if you make it there...

ted1
12-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm looking into him, thank you.

ted1
07-13-2018, 10:21 AM
I didn't end up getting to the gulf, but did hook up with Justin Duggan in the Pittwater region (about an hour north of Sydney). Cast to probably a hundred boils of Kingfish but they weren't having it. Ended up with a small Tailor (our bluefish), and a dozen or so perch fishing slack tide against the rocks. I was reminded of my poor casting skills after taking a break from shooting heads for so many years, but did learn a lot that will help make me a better fisherman around here. If I can stomach that 15 hour plane ride again, i'll be saving for the gulf in a few years. Thanks for all of the suggestions!