View Full Version : Reel size

yubablue
11-26-2017, 11:19 PM
Reel size and use for ...

I just bought a ROSS Cimmarron V, probably 4-6yrs old, [ not a new Cimmarron II series] with a spare reel for mostly local stream fishing.

My 3 rods are 7'7'' - - - 8'6'' - - 8'6'' ....... 4,3 & 6wt .

Is there any reason I shouldn't. ??

https://www.rossreels.com/images/tech_help/files/Line%20Capacities%20for%20the%20Cimarron%20Reel%20 Series%20(Post%201998)1.pdf

It's the size V, which is the same spool arbor diameter, .80'' and a half inch larger @ 4'' dia weight than a III which has the same spool arbor and width ?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-27-2017, 06:35 AM
I think weight and capacity are the two serious issues when buying/choosing a fly reel.

I don't like it when the reel is too small in diameter because the retrieve speed is slower and the line is coilyer.

Also with a reel that is too light you rod feel front heavy.

Having a reel that is too larger and too heavy will make you outfit feel heavier.

It also make the tip rise from the excessive weight.

New reels are pretty light so they can be used on several different line size rods.

If you live close to Kiene's Fly Shop you can go by and have someone like Andy Guibord check out you outfits.

yubablue
11-27-2017, 09:06 AM
thanks bill

TahoeJoe
11-27-2017, 09:58 AM
I use a Cimarron 3 that I've had for decades on a 10' 6 wt rod and it balances nicely. I've never used the larger #5 size but IMHO you may find that it is a bit heavy on either of your smaller rods, it might be OK for your 6 weight. Try it and see.