PDA

View Full Version : Love the rain!

cyama
11-16-2017, 01:16 AM
The next two weeks should be good for fish moving through the systems. Hearing rain outside makes me happy!! Hope you all enjoy the wet weather!!

mogaru
11-16-2017, 09:56 AM
The bad thing is that the fish don't come along with the rain and that's why "fly fishing" is morphing into "fly casting"........too much talk about the lines, the rods, reels etc and very little about the fish caught.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Rain and snow is good.....we have to have it.

Sadly some can only come here only to read about the sport because they have personal issues that keep them for going fishing.

I promote early retirement for the very few who could pull this off.

Anyone who wants to talk about retirement issues please contact me.

The longer you work the less years you will have in retirement according to the top 10 life insurance companies.

yubaman
11-16-2017, 10:59 AM
Here you go . . . we headed up to the Trnity for a couple of days 2 weeks ago. The river was low and clear. Fishing was very spotty with most bost going between 0 - 3 fish. I was the recipient of some good luck and I'd like to think decent fishing as I went 9 for 12 on adults over the 2 days. Sadly, I lost the best fish of the bunch after about 1 minute.

The devastation from the Helena fire is very apparent. About 70 people/ families lost their homes and the fire burned both sides of the river. Bigfoot and Trinity Canyon Resort were hit big time. Trinity Canyon had 1 cabin left. I imagine that this rain could really cloud the river up below Baghdad.

BTW, Chris, what the hell were you doing up at 12:15 am on a worknight?? You must really be jonesing for some steelheading?

TahoeJoe
11-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Smith River, Mad River, Redwood Creek and Eel river are all open now due to the recent rains, probably other North Coast rivers too (I didn't check). I want to go but don't want to drive there and back. Like Bill says, early retirement would help. Beam me up Captain Kirk!

cyama
11-16-2017, 04:37 PM
Yes Yubaman Bob have not been able to chase any steel this Fall. Schedule is all whacked out. We are working on the fire surveys seven days a week... I have to work this weekend so it was kind of a day off from the fire work. The only thing keeping me sane is the local creek has a great caddis hatch this year! Dry flies just like the good old days! Sounds like you are having fun though!! I would have to guess you were in Slim's boat and you guys were the first boat down the Trinity just whacking those chrome domes all the way down. Tight lines.

Mark Kranhold
11-16-2017, 07:56 PM
The bad thing is that the fish don't come along with the rain and that's why "fly fishing" is morphing into "fly casting"........too much talk about the lines, the rods, reels etc and very little about the fish caught.

Yes, but I sure love me some spey casting! Hearing the river, smelling the river and even tasting the river is what steelheading is all about! Maybe try holding your mouth the other way, it's worked for me a time or two .

hwchubb
11-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Liked the rain until I got rear-ended in Modesto near my customer’s plant in Modesto this afternoon...

Anyhow, hope this will help me finally mark up my pristine 2017 steelhead card!

mogaru
11-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Rain and snow is good.....we have to have it.

Sadly some can only come here only to read about the sport because they have personal issues that keep them for going fishing.

I promote early retirement for the very few who could pull this off.

Anyone who wants to talk about retirement issues please contact me.

The longer you work the less years you will have in retirement according to the top 10 life insurance companies.

Great words of wisdom and advice. When I was young, I planned towards my retirement which allowed me to retire really early and now I can fish whenever I want, which is usually during the week 2 or 3 times.

mogaru
11-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Yes, but I sure love me some spey casting! Hearing the river, smelling the river and even tasting the river is what steelheading is all about! Maybe try holding your mouth the other way, it's worked for me a time or two .

Keep on "casting", I will be "fishing".....

cyama
11-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Keep on "casting", I will be "fishing".....
That is very important what you said in a few words. There are those that only spey cast for steelhead and those that only fish dry flies for trout. Me I just like catching fish especially the big ones!! So if I have a lot time and you can see fish rolling at the bottom of the run hell yes I am going to swing a muddler or cast a dry fly. It is so much fun to see the fish come up grab that fly!! Next usually I would tie on a soft hackle. If all else fails you just have to put on that bobber... For the most part I think good guides will also swing the run then fish other methods. Having a guide with a drift boat back rowing you into the fish is best, but most of the time I just walk upstream and try to imitate a drift boat by walking downstream and following the flies. Always swing the fly up to the surface where you think the fish are. If you are using a bobber just hold the line and it will swing just like a spey cast

Rockman
11-19-2017, 05:54 AM
Now that’s a statistic that I can live by.
I was fortunate to retire early and move to Mt. Shasta where I have been fishing my arse off and enjoying every minute of it, and photographing my friends enjoying it with me. Make time to fish!
My state of mind and spirits have never been higher.
Stop watching tv and YouTube videos about fishing and go fish!
The clean air, the hike, the nature you will see, the bonding of friendships fishing with a friend all add value to your life and may extend your life by reducing stress and making you more fit.
No, I did not retire with the amount of money I thought I should have, but I changed my priorities and lifestyle and I am a happy older fisherman.
Bill is right, retire early and enjoy life. We never know how much time we have left. Carpa Diem!

yubaman
11-20-2017, 04:00 PM
Man, sounds like you done right. I represent the other side . . . working too hard for too long. Such is life. I have a big dart on the calendar before I am 60 though. Rockman, you must be single!!???

Rockman
11-30-2017, 09:37 AM
No, not single. Happily married the first and only woman who ever asked me out on a date.
The date was catfishing at Folsom Lake. Met her the night before at a bar, and we both rarely drink.
She is tall, beautiful,likes to fish, and has an IQ that is as high as Mt. Shasta. My friends joke about the waiting list if I go belly up first.
The catch of my life.
I believe in prayer, The Lord answered.
Lots of fine people I have met on this board, never met one that I would not fish again with. Heading up my way. Give me a shout, it does not take much to get me out.
I do hope others who get the opportunity to retire early take that opportunity. No regrets.
Miss fishing the Yuba! Got to get the Willie back down there!

PV_Premier
12-11-2017, 10:02 AM
And that quickly it seems the rain has shut off for the foreseeable future! The past 10 days combined with the next 10 days forecast is not putting us off to a good start for Winter 2017/2018...very limited rain chances for the Sacramento area between now and Christmas.