PDA

View Full Version : RV Friendly Campground Recomendations

BumpBailey
11-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Okay all my Kiene's Brethren- Here is you chance to share your favorite RV campgrounds in Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Preferably with some options for fishing on the spot or close by! We are at 27' in length.

My wife, two boys, 13 and 9 years old, and I are taking two weeks to drive to and enjoy Yellowstone. We are taking off from the Bay Area with the timing being the last week of July and the first week of August 2018.

The first stop will be in Oregon and I hope the North Umpqua. Maybe the Rogue. I've never been to either and that time frame might find me with chance to hook some steel... can't resist!

From there we will head to Idaho then Montana and finally Wyoming where will camp in the park for a few days before heading back to Morgan Hill.

Any suggestions and recommendations will be appreciated.

Tight lines all!

Randy B
11-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Try Campfire Lodge Resort on Highway 287 between Hegben and Quake Lake outside of West Yellowstone MT. You can get campsites where your RV is roughly 20' from the Madison River and there is a ton of great fishing nearby.

Scott V
11-07-2017, 03:21 PM
https://koa.com/campgrounds/dillon/

Best KOA I have ever been to. The Beaverhead is literally 20' from your rv door, 5' if you get a spot right on the water. I spent 2 days walking up and down that area fishing and caught tons of fish. Best wading area I have been.

It is a KOA I want to buy.

BumpBailey
11-13-2017, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I am trying to avoid the KOA'a and Good Sam's of the world. I don't want to camp in an RV lot...... I would like to stay in some of the State Campgrounds that have RV access. So far as i can tell though, the limited spots they have available for RVs are either first come first served or, I can't make a reservation until the end of January.

Charlie S
11-13-2017, 11:41 AM
Susan Creek BLM campground on the North Umpqua is really great. It even has free hot showers and a couple of holes that hold steelhead.

BumpBailey
11-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Susan Creek BLM campground on the North Umpqua is really great. It even has free hot showers and a couple of holes that hold steelhead.

Thank you! This is what I am hoping for....

Any ideas for Idaho Montana, Wyoming and Utah?

pvsprme
11-18-2017, 06:43 PM
Thank you! This is what I am hoping for....

Any ideas for Idaho Montana, Wyoming and Utah?
2nd Susan Creek, prime time for Steel. Valley of the Rogue State Park in Oregon is very nice, good water. Bit early for Steel but some good trout fishing.

BumpBailey
07-06-2018, 07:54 AM

Thank you guys for the suggestions. We have three nights booked at Susan Creek starting 7/22. I am really looking forward to getting a few hours of fishing in in the morning and exploring with the family the rest of the day! Maybe even an evening swing campside.... Any side trip suggestions? I think Toketee Falls are on the agenda for one day and maybe a Crater Lake Trek one day.

If any of you are around those days feel free to PM me. I WILL have cold beers!

Idadon
07-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Twin Rivers RV just outside of Roseburg is fairly nice. Right next door to the RV Park is a day use area that has access to the North and South Umpqua where they merge. Probably more expensive then Susan Creek but it's nice and shady with good hookups. As for the Rogue we always stay at Bridge View in Rogue River (nice riffle below the park). Nice facilities but pricey.

As for Idaho, the only place I like (and I live just down the road in Idaho Falls) is Riverside. Right on the Henrys Fork just below the Ranch section. Within striking distance of Yellowstone and a nice USFS Camp. No hookups but vault toilets and potable water.

JayDubP
07-06-2018, 09:15 PM
From Roseburg to Montana you should consider either:

1) going through Lewston & Orofino, ID and then Hwy 12 which follows the Lochsa River to the summit-- lots of dispersed camping spots and great fishing. Hwy 12 ends in Lolo, MT (Hamilotn Valley). Probably too early to try for steelhead on the Clearwater River near Orofino. North Fork of Clearwater River & Kelley Creek are primo cutthroat waters, but would require an extra day or? I think most of the USFS campsites in the Nez Perce Clearwater Forest are first come first served, but weekdays should be no problem.

2) If you are going on I 90- (Coeur d'Alene to Missoula) - there is a unique bike ride that will make family memories-- "The Hiawatha Trail". It is on an old railroad bed, goes through 9 tunnels, one of which is over a mile, plus over several trestles- overall it is 13miles ALL DOWNHILL with a school bus to shuttle back to the top. You can rent bikes nearby at Lookout Pass Ski Area. http://www.ridethehiawatha.com/

On Montana side of the pass the St Regis River runs alongside I-90 and there are several access roads. it is a small river fished primarily by locals but is usually very productive. There are some dispersed camping areas where there are bridges- on the south side of the river.

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim

BumpBailey
07-07-2018, 07:32 AM
Thanks Idadon and JayDub. Both of you gave solid suggestions! That bike ride on the Hiawatha Trail sounds awesome and just might alter our plans. We were planning on trying to see Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons before heading up to Bozeman. So, the southern route would make more sense. And, a lay over in Sun Valley would be cool. But, I think the boys(me too) would just love that bike ride! I think I leave this one up to the Mrs. to decide.

Thanks again Guys!

Jay

JayDubP
07-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Thanks Idadon and JayDub. Both of you gave solid suggestions! That bike ride on the Hiawatha Trail sounds awesome and just might alter our plans. We were planning on trying to see Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons before heading up to Bozeman. So, the southern route would make more sense. And, a lay over in Sun Valley would be cool. But, I think the boys(me too) would just love that bike ride! I think I leave this one up to the Mrs. to decide.

Thanks again Guys!

Jay

Jay, why I added my 2 cents on the other routes-

It is approx. 9hrs from Roseburg to Idaho on each of the 3 routes.

From Roseburg to Bozeman:
...Northern route to i90 is shortest & fastest. Coeur d' Alene to east is scenic. Several rivers along I90, so fishing is easy to work in.
...US 12 is most scenic, historic (route Lewis & Clark took) and easiest to work in some good/great fishing- but lots of curves.
...Southern route- boring high desert with not much to see/do until you get around Idaho Falls.

If you go to Sun Valley, try to make it 1 hr further north to Redfish Lake- Stanley area. It is worth making a day trip without the trailer. You could easily spend 2 weeks there. Campgrounds tend to be reserved months in advance since it is a favorite of locals.

Have a good trip whichever route you take.

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-07-2018, 10:23 PM
On the Rogue and North Umpqua river for Steelhead I would be getting out there at 6:00am and fish for 2 hours.

In two weeks of RVing if you try to do too much or travel too far it might be more work than fun.

BumpBailey
07-09-2018, 07:42 AM
On the Rogue and North Umpqua river for Steelhead I would be getting out there at 6:00am and fish for 2 hours.

In two weeks of RVing if you try to do too much or travel too far it might be more work than fun.

I tried to avoid the long travel days but we will have a couple. I decided on the three nights on the NU at the front of the trip so we could actually feel like we are on a vacation. Not just one long ass road trip! I also have three nights booked a week later at a fishing lodge in the Forks, MT area. My wife and I will have our own room and the boys, theirs. I think this will be a key stop-over for all of our sanity!

Being a naturally early riser, I do plan on working on my casting and presentation skills during our stay on the NU(Don't tell the wife but, that could possibly be the reason I picked it). If I can find some shade I might stretch my time on the water to 9:00 though Bill. I should still be able to get back and make breakfast!

I appreciate all the tips and suggestions! Keep em coming!

BumpBailey
07-18-2018, 08:04 AM
4 days and counting/salavating! If any of you fine people find your way to Susan Creek Sunday - Tuesday we are in Site 19. Stop by for a cold one and say hi!

JasonB
07-19-2018, 06:07 PM
My wife and I will try to stop by to say hi if we don’t cross paths on the water. We are heading up Sunday night, yahoo!