PDA

View Full Version : Little Truckee River...duck hunting?

Gregg
11-07-2017, 08:44 AM
Winter before last I was walking the LT between Stampede and Boca looking for rising fish, and a guy around my age was walking the river jump shooting ducks. In the summer I find empty shells regularly, so I imagine people are out there at least semi-often. Is the LT span between the reservoirs BLM land and open to hunting? It isn’t marked on DFW maps, curious about the regulations / legality for anyone who knows?

John Sv
11-07-2017, 08:57 AM
Land is administered by the Forest Service, TNF, Truckee Ranger District.

Rossflyguy
11-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Well if you’re able to walk around and fish the LT I’m sure it’s public land. As long as he’s 150 ft from roads or houses it’s legal to do.

Gregg
11-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Killer. I’ve flushed a ton of quail by the water and always wondered about shooting out there. Cover by the water can be dense, but some days I’m fishing out there all alone and would be fun to bring some birds home also.

JD
11-08-2017, 06:17 PM
Killer. I’ve flushed a ton of quail by the water and always wondered about shooting out there. Cover by the water can be dense, but some days I’m fishing out there all alone and would be fun to bring some birds home also.

Hopefully not literally. Having encountered raining shot on the Little Truckee, if you do hunt there better be very careful of where you are shooting. Lot of fishers on the water at all time of the year, and as a rule they do not wear hunter's orange.

Troutstalker55B
11-09-2017, 02:11 AM
Hopefully not literally. Having encountered raining shot on the Little Truckee, if you do hunt there better be very careful of where you are shooting. Lot of fishers on the water at all time of the year, and as a rule they do not wear hunter's orange.

JD - Greg is a stand up responsible hunter and angler, still though, great advice. I most often use the dense willows to mask my presence while on the water with my guests, often to see what runs are occupied from the west side. - J.

Gregg
11-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Yea, this is why it's never occurred to me to even think about shooting out there. Was a surprise to come across this guy, hence me questioning the legality of shooting out there and the land designation. I've fished the LT probably 100 days in the last couple years and have found spent shells, but never seen anyone else ever shooting or hunting. I'd venture to say the vast majority of hunters are overly cautious and responsible, especially with such deep cover. I'm far more concerned with yahoos shooting off AR's at the Lower Yuba, literally seen dudes popping off rounds at the river rock embankments. Baffles me how you have to go through fairly comprehensive training to get a hunting license but not to just buy a gun and go play with it.

Regardless, safety first. Even above bacon wrapped quail breasts.

bigfly
11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
I have seen many guys hunt out there for ducks....they are usually done after dawn.
Quail is lower and later.......
I don't care really...Makes fishing sporty....
Just pick up your shells.....
I pick them up alot, and seems to be the bulk of the trash out there.... Kind of detracts from the "wilderness experience".
I see this on the big T as well.
Jim

cdevine
11-09-2017, 06:21 PM
I've gotten a few wakeup calls on the Big T before. Scared the daylights out of me. Don't fish the Little T much but it sounds like you guys have that covered. Like others echo just be responsible and know there are not only fisherman but bird watchers, dog walkers, and other folks enjoying mother nature. I see a lot of shells on the EW in Nevada/CA as well.

Troutstalker55B
11-09-2017, 07:07 PM
Greg,

"Regardless, safety first. Even above bacon wrapped quail breasts." Regardless of it all, Ashley, food, dear god bacon and the fam is above it all. Lets get together soon and hang brother. See you on the other side - J.

Nashvon
08-11-2021, 07:40 AM
Hi folks, some time ago I was duck hunting at Stampede too and hunting some birds was enough for me. One day I got a wild boar and I realized that hunting bigger game was just as much fun. So I began to look for options where I could hunt big game. So, I found hog hunting outfitters in Florida (https://www.westgateresorts.com/blog/10-best-places-hunt-wild-boar-florida/) – one cool ranch that had all the amenities for an exciting and interesting hunt. I won't list all the pros, I can only say that it's really a great place especially for beginner hunters. You could even come there without your equipment, all the tools including different kinds of guns were given to me. Plus, I had some cool guide to hunt with.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-11-2021, 05:34 PM
When I was a kid in the 1950s and 1960s all my friends in south Sacramento hunted, fished and had hot rods.

Today I think hunting has slowed way down so lots of folks do not understand it.

If you were raised around it you don't think it is anything out of the ordinary.

I have not hunted in years but might enjoy a little bird hunting because I would cook and eat them.

If I go to South Dakota some October I might go pheasant hunting.

Rich Morrison
08-15-2021, 08:05 PM
Let me know Bill. I’m an avid and busy pheasant hunter come fall. But I’d guess you have the good family hook up!

tcorfey
08-16-2021, 01:24 AM
Yea, this is why it's never occurred to me to even think about shooting out there. Was a surprise to come across this guy, hence me questioning the legality of shooting out there and the land designation. I've fished the LT probably 100 days in the last couple years and have found spent shells, but never seen anyone else ever shooting or hunting. I'd venture to say the vast majority of hunters are overly cautious and responsible, especially with such deep cover. I'm far more concerned with yahoos shooting off AR's at the Lower Yuba, literally seen dudes popping off rounds at the river rock embankments. Baffles me how you have to go through fairly comprehensive training to get a hunting license but not to just buy a gun and go play with it.

Regardless, safety first. Even above bacon wrapped quail breasts.

At least in CA at a reputable dealer they would not even take a gun off the rack to let me look at it without showing my hunting license first.

Charlie Gonzales
08-17-2021, 09:03 AM
Just like "A river runs through it" brought new fly fishers, the Duck Commander has brought new hunters into the field. Over the past 10+ years I have seen a lot more duck hunters, most of them young, and surprising amount of young ladies(many of them sharing their boyfriend's Copenhagen). Duck hunting has changed/evolved a lot over my lifetime with the use of electronic decoys. I go back and forth with the use of them; some days they work, some they don't. I'm lucky that I get to hunt with my father(76) and my son(16) most days during the season; but there are a few days every year that hunt soul-o.