PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Island

Baja Fly Fisher
11-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Just got home yesterday morning from Christmas Island. What a difference between March and October. We went March of 2016 and had lot's of rain, rain and winds. This trip, the whole island was dry but we still had the winds, not bad though if you call 25/30 mph not bad.
Lot's of bones caught and a few GT's. I think I had the largest GT in the group. Some where between 35/40lbs hell,I'll call it 40lbs why be shy. I got it on a sea habit tropical fly, 9' 10wt Mangrove and lot's of line. The first run took off 300yards off the reel along with the 100' fly line. The guide went running down the line using my bone fish rod to lift the line, keeping it out of the coral. I have photo's but will post later or on to my FB page.
My biggest bone was around 4lbs. I was using the new Axiom II rod by TFO. I threw a 7 wt rod all week. Your probably asking yourself - a 7 wt rod in 25mph winds, no way. Yes way. Using a RIO Flats Pro line and a side arm cast getting a 45' cast was no problem. But you didn't need to cast 45' most fish spotted were within 20' to 25'. Some were as close as 10'. It makes it tough spotting fish with all the ripples on the water. It took me some time to figure it out but I was able to see the fish. I was my own guide. I let my partner use the guide and I went wandering off in other directions. Good and bad. Good that you learn how to spot the fish, BAD that if you step into a hole up to your knees, it's hard to get out by yourself. I also sunk up to my right knee in that soft yucky white mud along with my right hand and reel and rod handle. Thank god for sealed drag system and a bottle of water. Once I got out, I took off the spool and poured my fresh water to clean out the yuck. Good and bad -again. Good the reel was clean, Bad I had no more water to drink. A long walk in 87 degree temperature and 84 degree water
More later, I have to go pick up my 8"x10" print at my local photo shop. Going to mount the photo along with the fly - sea habit tropical :-)

Tony Buzolich
11-02-2017, 03:02 PM
Way to go Jay. Any GT over 30 lbs on a 10 wt. had to be a challenge. How did your shoulder hold up after that? Side arm casting probably eased it a little but that's still a big fish.

Can't wait to see your pictures. Wish I was there, Tony

Darian
11-02-2017, 05:48 PM
My fishing partner and I accompanied Jays group down there. Had a great time. Caught a bunch of Bonefish each day. My biggest Bonefish was 6 pounds and lost one that broke me off (16 pound test leader) on the second run. I fished a 7 weight, Mangrove rod exclusively; didn't try to target GT's. Caught a small one and a Bluefin Trevally, tho. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the interest of Triggers. Had several shots at them but they just weren't interested. Winds were a constant companion but doable with experience/practice before arrival. No photo's yet as my camera was drowned during an accidental dip. If I can salvage the photo's from the SD card, I'll post them, later.

As usual, the guides knew their stuff and were great guys. The lodge now has warm water for showers (better than a cold shower). However, if you're late showering, all of the warm water's gone. Food was good but very few veggies available. I came back from fishing exhausted everyday. Slept very well.

As an aside, I took entirely too many patterns and number of flies along with us on the first trip (18 months ago) and on this trip. Of course, I still had too many left over from the first trip and added only the patterns I knew would produce. We only lost about a dozen flies between the two of us. If you're new to Bonefishing at Christmas Island, I'd recommend finding out which patterns are the real producers and then acquire or tie a couple of dozen in two/three sizes (say between 4-6-8).

Baja Fly Fisher
11-02-2017, 08:48 PM
Tony, I'm paying the price for trying to cast over head. Side arm was much easier but still put the pressure on the shoulder. Like Darian, we had a lot of shots at a few HUGE titan triggers. There was one chewing on a piece of coral, his whole body was almost out of water. He was interested in nawing on the coral, it gave us time to cut off the bone fish fly and tie on a crab pattern and make the cast. I placed it a foot from him and the guide said short twitches, the first got interested in the fly and swam over and took a look at the fly.
The guide said wait, wait, wait he's looking, get ready, then he swam off. Not interested. Boy that was an intense 30 seconds.
Not sure if I mentioned that I caught a barracuda at the Little Plantation flats. Fishing for GT's in the deeper water and hooked into this thing. It took off running and finally slowed down. At first I thought it was a small wahoo but then when he grabbed the line he said barracuda. I wanted a photo but when he went to grab the fish it wiggled and he dropped the fish. I guess he didn't want to get bit by those sharp teeth. Then, the next cast, I striped the line twice and the next thing I knew the line burnt the hell out of my stripping finger and it took off. Whatever it was, it was deep and didn't want to come to the surface. He thought it was a GT.
I'll probably book late October for next year, hopefully my shoulder will be in full use.

Darian, next time it's only gotcha's, CI specials, crazy charlies and chili peppers. The chili peppers was my hot fly for the week. used nothing but size 6, tied sparse in colors tan, orange, pink. Small bead chain eyes for low tide conditions and medium size for deeper water. For GT's, going with my tropical sea habit in 3/0 and 4/0
My next big trip is.....having the cancer marks remove from my face and then I'm getting a big christmas present - a new shoulder
Come to Pleasanton and watch me tie with one arm
How's your knee.

mems
11-02-2017, 11:23 PM
Glad you guys had fun. Jay you are right about chili peppers, aka moana specials work best on broken coral flats. On white bottoms nothing beats a bunny gotcha. All I ever fish for bones with is a size 06. For triggers, small crab 06 again. I also use that for goldens. Did you guys go for goldens? For GT's 4/0 bush pig in mullet pattern. Too bad you guys didn't get offshore. Can't wait for the pictures, Don.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-03-2017, 02:17 AM
Hey Mems,
I'll email you some photo's. Too much work to post on the board. Some times photo bucket works, some times it doesn't
I'm ready to go back but first the Baja trips and hopefully some more yellow fin and wahoo. Dorado would be OK.
Not sure if the shoulder will be ready to fish by early May - we'll see

Darian
11-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Jay,.... The knee is OK, now. I'm scheduled for surgery on may hand in early January and will schedule the knee after that. Should be good as new next fall (just in time for the next Baja/Christmas Island trips. :cool:

I've been thinking about the wading down there and have decided that even with a bad knee, wading is possible; just not overly mobile. However, TJ was the ultimate guide for this. He seemed to know the places where fish would pass on their way in to the flats from deeper water. That allowed me to set up/cast to passing bones without wading on cobblestone/uneven bottoms. Also, it allowed TJ to devote some time to guiding my fishing partner. So, we both received the benefits.

Even with all of that help, I got dunked twice :D and drowned my camera. I did recover the photo's from the SD disk, tho. Not many taken after the dunking. Oh well, now I'm looking for a water proof replacement.

Don,.... The guides I used (TJ & Ilu) both liked the Gotcha's, Chili Peppers and CI Specials, sized 6/8 (mainly 8's).

mems
11-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Thanks Guys, boy it sounds like you two are both pretty beat up. I hope all the injuries heal up. I love my new hip. I am with you Darain, I find a spot where the bones enter the flat on an incoming tide and then catch bone after bone. That white mud is pretty nasty. Jay thanks for the pictures, your GT looks really nice, you should get a gyotaku made and then put the fly in the corner in a shadow box. I have one like that with a bluefinned trevally about to eat one of my flies. Good luck in baja. I will post a story after we go in April. Don.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-03-2017, 11:33 AM
Don,

I had a huge glossy print made. I think it's 12"x18". I went to Hobby Lobby last night since they have the picture frames 50% off but the shadow boxes weren't on sale but they will be come monday. I bought the matt board and will be getting back into making shadow boxes or box. I have the old style matt cutter. The stuff nowadays make it much easier but for doing one or two shadow boxes, not worth the investment.
Damn, it's a beautiful photo. the fish that is.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Most fly fishers end up casting sidearm while wading for Bonefish when it is windy to keep you fly line very close to the water's surface where the wind speed is lower.

My wife and I both ended up using high end, very light weight Sage fly rods with very light weight Lamson Lite Speed reels to keep the weight down while wading all day on the flats.

We used 9' #7 weight 4 piece fly rods at Christmas Island because the flies we used were pretty small and sparse.

On average casting while wading for Bonefish is much shorter (20-40') and casting out of a poled skiff is longer (40-70').

When it is windy and overcast while wading the casting can be very short.

I think that the first place I would recommend for flat fishing would be Christmas Island because to the amount of firm light, colored shallow flats and the number of small to medium size Bonefish.

In Central America many flats are dark Turtle grass with large schools of Bonefish which is not really the classic sight casting that you get at Christmas Island or the Bahamas.

My article on Bonefishing:

http://www.billkiene.com/fishing/fly-fishing-for-bonefish/

**Any comment are welcome to improve my recommendations.

mems
11-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Send a picture when you are pau, should be pretty cool.

Darian
11-05-2017, 02:22 PM
In the earlier posts, I mentioned the flies I used on the flats but forgot to mention that I caught most of my fish on a pattern called the Wabnitz Worm (a pattern from Australia or New Zealand). Simple fly with a pearl body (like a Gotcha) with a wing of a single strand of tan or brown chenille 1 1/2 X longer than the shank of the hook. Also, bead chain or dumbbell eyes. Hook size 6-8. My guide (TJ) tied this fly on first and only changed it when it stopped catching fish.

One caution, the worm living in the sandy flats described on YouTube is red but, IMO, tan or brown is a better color for the chenille wing. I've been deciding if a slight change in wing material (closed cell foam) like used in the Loco Moco tied by Glen Ueda would make this pattern even better....

If you're going to X-mas Island give this pattern a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:

Tony Buzolich
11-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Enough chitter-chatter about shadow boxes and dunking cameras, let's see some pictures. :)
Tony

Baja Fly Fisher
11-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Tony,

I'll send you some. Too hard to post to the site.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Darian

That reminded me, I forgot to use the Loco-Moco's I brought. Next trip.

mems
11-06-2017, 11:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/j0V8B1j.jpg (https://imgur.com/j0V8B1j)
Here is Jay's GT, pretty impressive for a 10wt.

Tony Buzolich
11-06-2017, 05:10 PM
That's a good fish on ANY weight rod. Way to go Jay! If they had GT's around here, I think I'd have to give up chasing stripers :)
Probably not.

Those La Paz Toro/ Jack Crevalle take a close second though. Love'um all. Tony

Jay, is your guide's name Matt ?

Darian
11-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Trying to get photo's out of iPhoto. What a PIA!!!

DLJeff
11-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Jay,
Nice geet. Just out of curiousity, was that fish up on the sand flats? Out cruising the coral on Paris? Cruising the deeper channels next to a flat? We only saw one GT mooching around on the sand flat, following a big trigger around, waiting for the trigger to spook baitfish. Most our shots were fish cruising the deeper channels. Did you try for the milkfish in the two main channels into the lagoon? We did twice but didn't get a hook up. Cool watching the manta rays though.

dynaflow
11-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Hi Darian,I'm glad you had success with my mate George (Peter) Hammer's worm variation the "Wabnitz Worm".However,like the "George Bush" I use it sparingly and save it for when I'm getting refusals on tried 'n true patterns.It's especially good for big Bonefish and I tie mine on #6 Gamakatsu SL11-3H which is a big hook in comparison to other makers and IMHO the single best hook for Bonefish out there atm.The Wabnitz Worm can be fished three ways..static,short incremental strips or a long slow drag,depending on the conditions.

George.Hammer
11-11-2017, 06:46 PM
In the earlier posts, I mentioned the flies I used on the flats but forgot to mention that I caught most of my fish on a pattern called the Wabnitz Worm (a pattern from Australia or New Zealand). ......

If you're going to X-mas Island give this pattern a try. You'll be pleasantly surprised. :cool:
I'm glad the pattern worked well for you Darian ... but please, developed in Australia [heaven's forbid ... N.Z.:p ] specifically for Christmas Island bonefish after my concern [shared by Moana Kofe] that the bonefish were showing some resistance to the "normal" flies offered to them. Some discussion ensued with Moana, Teannaki and Dr Colette Wabnitz [a marine biologist who assisted in identifying the local worm likely to be the staple diet]. My understanding is that whilst the worm is alive it is a cream colour and on death fades through brown to red .... apparently the islanders also enjoy eating them.

The Wabnitz Worm can be tied in two ways ... pretty much as you described ... but the longevity of the fly can be enhanced if you overwrap the body with 6 or 7 wraps of Vinyl D-rib before a quick coat of clear nail varnish. In addition to the chenille, the wing should also include 4 strands of krystal flash. The chenille part of the wing can be either tied in at the head [but make sure it is secure] or pierced by the hook point, laid flush along the top of the shank and then overwrapped in vinyl rib with the excess forming a tail past the bend in the hook - both methods work extremely well if fished as Dynaflow has indicated, however this year I experimented with a shorter wing of about 3/4" and it made little to no difference.

I have posted detailed tying instructions on an Australian Saltwater Flyfishing forum, but if there's interest here I can do the same as time permits.

Tony Buzolich
11-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Hi George,

Any chance you might know the proper name of the worm? Interesting, Dr. Colette Wabnitz actually did some study on the bonefish's diet there.

There are a bunch of worn patterns on pinterest but I'd love to see the actual worm itself live. There was even a nun tying a worm fly using chamoix leather on YOUTUBE. In the keys we've used palolo worm patterns for tarpon, and in the northeast there is another reddish worm that striped bass like during certain times of the year.

Thanks for your input about Christmas Is., Tony

Tony Buzolich
11-11-2017, 08:26 PM
I found them. I typed in "Kiribati Sand Worms" and a whole bunch of stuff popped up. One was a video on YOUTUBE and it showed them actually catching them and saving them for snacks to be eaten by the natives . These worms they were digging out of the sand seemed to be over a foot long and almost the diameter of your finger. Maybe the bonefish eat the juvenile worms?
Tony

George.Hammer
11-11-2017, 08:45 PM
G'day Tony,

Whilst on the island Colette didn't research the worms as she was too busy investigating the aquarium fish species, but over a number of drinks one night after dinner ..... only a few mind you .... she agreed to source some information for me when she got back to New Caledonia so as to pick the brains of her colleagues at SPC. As an off-the-cuff remark I mentioned that if she could do that I'd name the fly after her ...... it sort of stuck.

mems
11-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Aloha George, can you post a picture of the fly? Thanks, Don.

Darian
11-12-2017, 12:07 AM
Mr. Hammer,.... After reading your post, I recalled mentioning the Wabnitz Worm in a thread on this Forum in 2015 where Paul Cronin posted about his trip to CI. You wrote about the pattern first, then. Thanks for the history behind the naming and origination of the fly. Always interesting stuff. I'm wondering tho, why use that fly "....sparingly...."?? I used the worm probably over half the time. Coated the body with Hard As Nails. Still have that fly and it doesn't seem the worst for wear.... I agree that the body would benefit from wrapping with vinyl, tho.

My only concern was that I missed a bunch of takes that came off after the strike. Was wondering if those fish took the tail and missed the hook???

Don,.... If you enter tying the Wabnitz Worm on youtube videos, you'll find a number of items/photo's describing the fly.

George.Hammer
11-12-2017, 02:12 AM
Don, I tried uploading a file less than 100kb showing the fly, but was unable - I will try again.

Darian, the name's George :) In 2014 I noticed that the angling pressure on the island was having an effect on the fish and that viewpoint was ratified by Moana who had similar concerns that the fish were getting spooky and refusing the proven patterns .... he went down one route with a new design and I stuck to what I figured was a primary food source. In 2015 myself, and a couple of blokes I went with, spent a considerable part of our fortnight on the island mucking around with the fly to see how it would stack up against the "proven" patterns. In many instances it outfished them. That is not to say the proven patterns for the island, the CI Specials, Gotchas and Charlies, won't work - they still do, but there is an increasing rate of refusal of the older patterns - I noted the same situation there this year and, from all accounts, last year was the same ... i.e. the fish were spooky and refusals were common.

I'll start the day probably with a CI Special, but only tie on a Wabnitz Worm when I'm getting refusals with the other patterns - by using it sparingly I hope to avoid the fish becoming too familiar with it .... probably a lost cause, but that was the train of thought.

To my mind the short takes you're getting are the result of two things - the fish's spookiness and the tail is too long. When I first started fishing this fly it was common to have to use forceps to remove the fly from deep in the throat as they would inhale it, but more recently the fish are hooked in the mouth. To overcome the short-takes I'm tying my flies so the end of the tail is a finger width past the bend in the hook and only using the Gamakatsu SL11-3H with them. The downside is that with less tail moving around in the current, some fish are not seeing the fly as easily .... not refusing it, just not seeing it. If you do shorten the tails on existing flies just remember to re-melt the end of the chenille to stop it unravelling.

George.Hammer
11-12-2017, 02:14 AM
Don, this is the version with the tail tied in at the head ... and works as well as tying the tail along the shank -
it's also faster and easier to tie.

Darian
11-12-2017, 10:58 AM
George,.... my version of the fly looks to be the same proportions and wing length as in your photo with the wing tied down at the head.

I've only been at X-mas Island twice now, so, I'm still learning about the place. I can see that the fish seem to be spookier than on my first visit. They're "pounded" by groups from several lodges each week. In spite of that, most still chased the worm fly on the retrieve.

Thanks for all the info/help.... :cool:

Baja Fly Fisher
11-12-2017, 11:31 AM
DLJeff
The fish was on Rick's Flat. A huge flat mostly sand and some coral. On my first day with Matt, we did see one big GT (Matt said about 60lb) in knee deep water chasing milk fish. Then he started kicking the water and the fish turned instantly towards the commotion. All I had was a 7wt bone fish rod. I made a cast at the fish but Matt said I didn't have enough rod. I figured what the hell if I hooked it, it would either spool me, break the leader or break the rod. But I never got the chance to witness any of the options. It was looking for more than a size 6 chili pepper fly

George.Hammer
11-12-2017, 01:18 PM
George,.... my vision of the fly looks to be the same proportions and wing length as in your photo with the wing tied down at the head.

I've only been at X-mas Island twice now, so, I'm still learning about the place. I can see that the fish seem to be spookier than on my first visit. They're "pounded" by groups from several lodges each week. In spite of that, most still chased the worm fly on the retrieve.

Thanks for all the info/help.... :cool:

Unfortunately Darian you'll find the place and the people addictive. I know folk who go into withdrawals if they can't get there at least annually :D

If you've shortened the wing and are still getting short-takes, slow the retrieve down to either a long slow strip, erratic short bumps or fish it static .... particularly with the larger fish who know that worms don't move very quickly. Similarly for the triggers ... nothing but either 2" bumps or static for those guys.

mems
11-12-2017, 04:40 PM
George, many thanks for the picture. Would you recommend red, pink or orange color? Have you tried a san juan worm? I heard the bones in Tahitii eat a sand worm as well. Last time I was there, Moana said the awa, milkfish were eating worms out at the mouth of the lagoon. We went out and I got three to eat on a brown wooly bugger in 90 seconds. The other fish kept pulling the line out of the fishes mouth when hooked. I asked the guide to back the fish out of the school and was able to land one about 15lbs on an 8wt.
http://i.imgur.com/YRvtS6f.jpg (https://imgur.com/YRvtS6f)
Fish do get educated, but there are so many there it is hard for them all to be jaded. I do find the fish on the outer reef, like Korean wreck do eat with much more aggression than the lagoon fish. Thanks for the help, I will tie up some worm flies. Don.

George.Hammer
11-12-2017, 06:04 PM
Well done on the milkie Don. I first tried for them out the front this year and spent a good ten minutes on one with a #10 weight before the hook pulled - that was on a weighted weed fly .... but I'll certainly give a worm or woolly bugger a go next year. Agreed, the outer reef fish are more aggressive, probably due to the water moving around much more. Have you noticed the reef fish are also heavier through the shoulders?

I tie the WW with either pink, orange or light tan thread and stick with worm brown medium ultra chenille, either medium bead chain or 3mm brass dumbbell eyes. Krystal flash is either hot orange [or rootbeer] or pearl, depending on thread being used.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-13-2017, 06:55 AM
Keep the replies coming in. I'm getting ready to tie up a bunch of worm flies for my next trip, possibly in October again. Like George said, CI is addictive and I think I got the fever. I will be looking for that 80# GT, a 100# GT would be the following trip. I'll still be using the TFO Mangrove 10 wt.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Don, is that the Edge Rod. What weight did you use on the milk fish. I just ordered a 7 weight, should be here today. I might get one of each size

DLJeff
11-13-2017, 09:40 AM
DLJeff
The fish was on Rick's Flat. A huge flat mostly sand and some coral. On my first day with Matt, we did see one big GT (Matt said about 60lb) in knee deep water chasing milk fish. Then he started kicking the water and the fish turned instantly towards the commotion. All I had was a 7wt bone fish rod. I made a cast at the fish but Matt said I didn't have enough rod. I figured what the hell if I hooked it, it would either spool me, break the leader or break the rod. But I never got the chance to witness any of the options. It was looking for more than a size 6 chili pepper fly

Thanks Jay. I ask because when I was there with a buddy, we spent a lot of our week specifically searching for GT's. We only saw one GT up on the shallow sand flats. It was following a big trigger, rushing forward to nab baitfish the trigger spooked. We saw a couple each day along the edges and out along Paris. But I came away feeling the press coverage for GT's on Christmas is a little optimistic. They are there for sure, but if you go there with nothing but giant trevally on your mind you could easily go fishless. I was fortunate t actually catch the one we saw on the sand flat. He ate like a GT is supposed to and then fast tracked off the flat to deeper water once he was hooked. Fortunately there wasn't a lot of coral around where we went off the edge.

mems
11-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Hey Jay, yes that is the 8wt. I have a 10wt and a 12wt as well. The rods are great and titanium guides don't rust. You should pick up the bluewater rods, we used them on tuna and ono. Hope you like the 7wt. Don.

Darian
11-13-2017, 10:51 AM
OK,.... In another post I wrote: "Don,.... If you enter tying the Wabnitz Worm on youtube videos, you'll find a number of items/photo's describing the fly." t should've pointed to Google instead of Youtube. Sorry guys.... :o

mems
11-13-2017, 12:44 PM
http://www.rainysflies.com/bonefish-permit/nicks-orange-mr-limpy
Jesse at Rainy's flies ties this one, I will give it a try. But I think this one might work even better.
http://www.rainysflies.com/nymphs-wet/furimskys-red-bugskin-wiggler
I will tie up some of your pattern as well. Always nice to have a secret weapon for the big bones. thanks for the help, Don.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-13-2017, 01:42 PM
I could go "fishless", it wouldn't bother me. Bones are easy to catch, triggers can and do get picky, GT's :-)

DLJeff
11-13-2017, 05:24 PM
I could go "fishless", it wouldn't bother me. Bones are easy to catch, triggers can and do get picky, GT's :-)

I hear you. GT's are just so aggressive and strong, and I would say if one focuses on GT's you will get some shots. We had a bigger one chase a fly and a couple baitfish right up to our feet and the GT's head was bulging out of the water. Unfortunately, it chose one of the real baitfish to make his play and the fly wound up right next to us. Pretty cool little episode though. Triggers eluded me and I tried hard for them. Just about the time I'd get one to look at the fly it would settle into the coral and I'd be buggered. We tried twice for the big milkfish in the main channels during a strong tidal flow. We couldn't get the fly to flow into one of the milkfish'mouth but that was really cool too. There were a half dozen big manta rays swimming with them too.

mems
11-13-2017, 06:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/J3QlePt.jpg (https://imgur.com/J3QlePt)
Triggers, my friends really go crazy over these guys. To me they are just hagi, but can be a challenge.
http://i.imgur.com/nu0tvmf.jpg (https://imgur.com/nu0tvmf)
Even the little ones pull hard, this one on an 8wt. Just keep them out of their hole, problem there are holes everywhere!
http://i.imgur.com/T8xuBTF.jpg (https://imgur.com/T8xuBTF)
The big ones will smoke you even on a 12wt.
http://i.imgur.com/kUAe3c7.jpg (https://imgur.com/kUAe3c7)
Me I like papio, love omilu, bluefinned.
http://i.imgur.com/hmhcbct.jpg (https://imgur.com/hmhcbct)
Bitta and this buttaguchi are both smiling, fun to let the guides fish with you.
http://i.imgur.com/BDsqksy.jpg (https://imgur.com/BDsqksy)
GT's will put a smile on your face, and some sore arms
http://i.imgur.com/tu45mOg.jpg (https://imgur.com/tu45mOg)
My friend Sean with the largest one on our last trip.
http://i.imgur.com/TnUTY2p.jpg (https://imgur.com/TnUTY2p)
Sean with two rods ready to go water skiing, CI style.
http://i.imgur.com/oqf44vD.jpg (https://imgur.com/oqf44vD)
That is where my 100lber swam off to, somewhere in that direction. he took 300yrds of line and broke the 60lb leader. Next time only 80lb fluro. Those memories keep me coming back and haunt my dreams. Love CI! Mems.

Darian
11-14-2017, 12:04 AM
WOW!!! Those're some great photos, Don. I'll have to have some work done on my knee before I tackle GT's. Triggers are still a possibility, tho.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-14-2017, 04:16 AM
Don, how big were those GT's? Triggers were my target fish this year but I'll hook up on anything that will make me see my backing.
I also love CI and can't wait too go back. I was lucky to land the GT I hooked up on, using only 20# leader with a 30# bite

mems
11-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Hey Jay, the big one went about 70lbs. The smaller one 45lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/gcbPzol.jpg (https://imgur.com/gcbPzol)
This is my largest so far about 80lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/4QYzArw.jpg (https://imgur.com/4QYzArw)
This is my friend Richards largest about 60lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/yIeLEKR.jpg (https://imgur.com/yIeLEKR)
Doug Howard's largest about 60lbs.
http://i.imgur.com/WJmSqlg.jpg (https://imgur.com/WJmSqlg)
Here is a 30lber with Moana, I really miss Moana. I hope he watches over me next time I am there. Love GT's.

dynaflow
11-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Don, is that the Edge Rod. What weight did you use on the milk fish. I just ordered a 7 weight, should be here today. I might get one of each size
Some observations if I may...I wouldn't take a 7wt.for Milkfish if that's your intention.That's a Bonefish rod and simply isn't enough rod for the task at hand.Fights out of a boat for Milkfish are often long affairs and I would recommend a strong 9wt.or better (I use a 9wt.Hardy Pro-Axis).Mems did well to get his fish on that 8wt.(experience pays)...and of course the Wabnitz Worm is a San Juan variation.Use Ultra Chenille (Hareline or Wapsi in Tan or Brown)...that Squirmy material will work but it's not robust enough and you'll chew through flies pretty quickly so forget it....Cheers.

George.Hammer
11-14-2017, 10:00 PM
...and of course the Wabnitz Worm is a San Juan variation.

Nope - never seen a San Juan Worm .... wrong again! :)

Don - some mighty nice fish in amongst that lot - no wonder you've got the addiction ! :cool:

Tony Buzolich
11-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Here's a couple more I've taken. Take about addictive. :) Wish I lived a little closer to those Seychelles :)
Tony

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/035a_zpskjeldxwp.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/035a_zpskjeldxwp.jpg.html)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/38%20IMG_0674_01_zpsogjipkcd.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/buzolich/media/38%20IMG_0674_01_zpsogjipkcd.jpg.html)

Baja Fly Fisher
11-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Tony,
Great looking GT's. I definitely have the fever. If I lived in Hawaii, I'd be going more than once a year.
I'd like to find a motel on CI where I could pay by the week then hire a guide when I wanted to fish. I know
of one guide whom I could get. I would love to do three weeks straight but a DIY. Crystal Beach won't do a three week window
and I don't want to pay the full price on what the outfitters charge.

Tony Buzolich
11-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Jay,

On our first trip there with Crystal Beach Outfitters, we were hosted by Rob Ramsey. Rob had already been there three weeks and was staying for a forth. Apparently he does this as a regular thing with Fly Water Travel in Ashland Ore.. Give Dylon Rose a call there, if you haven't already.

Count me in if you get it figured out. Maybe one of those palapas on stilts would be affordable. Still have to figure out food and water ? :)
Tony

dynaflow
11-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Please tell me they're not chumming GT's ....thanks

Baja Fly Fisher
11-15-2017, 08:28 PM
no, we didn't go any chumming. I think all the lodges have quit using chum.

Baja Fly Fisher
11-15-2017, 08:35 PM
I think if you go through any outfitter, you're going to pay the big $$$$$. they want to make their commission. If Crystal Beach lodge would put me up in one of those little buildings and feed us, I could handle that. Since they have a lot of guide who don't work every day, I'm sure they would like to work a day or two then take off a few days then start up fishing again. Three to four weeks of walking those flats would kill me. I might try contacting the villages and Ikari house to see if they would do a 3 or 4 week stay and how much.

dynaflow
11-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Thanks for that reassurance Baja Fly Fisher.Guiding is the #1 job to aspire to on C.I.and one of the advantages of staying in The Villages is that each angler is assigned his/her own Guide,versus one Guide shared between two anglers at all the other Lodges (as far as I'm aware).They also pay all of their Guides a salary, whether they're working or not which is commendable.

George.Hammer
11-16-2017, 02:17 AM
I might try contacting the villages and Ikari house to see if they would do a 3 or 4 week stay and how much.

I'm pretty sure both those outfits will happily do food and lodging only. They may even be able to organise a hire car when you need it. The other thing about The Villages is that you're already on a flat and can fish right back to Ronton [London] through Tennessee and Navy Flats.