PDA

View Full Version : Pit River conditions

chapmag
10-16-2017, 09:18 PM
I'm considering going out there for a day or two end of this week. The only current report I've found is the Orvis one dated 10/15 that claims visibility is 18" and the water is muddy. The most recent Fly Shop report is two weeks old.

Has anyone been out there recently? What water conditions did you find?

PV_Premier
10-17-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm considering going out there for a day or two end of this week. The only current report I've found is the Orvis one dated 10/15 that claims visibility is 18" and the water is muddy. The most recent Fly Shop report is two weeks old.

Has anyone been out there recently? What water conditions did you find?

i'd recommend calling The Fly Shop for updated info, and also call Ted Fay in Dunsmuir, they might have some intel. I don't put much stock in the reports on the Orvis site personally, IME they just consolidate random data from various sources into a "report". YMMV.

cdccopp
10-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Try finding the phone number for the Big Bend Store. They are across the road from the river around Pit 5.

Pupa
10-17-2017, 04:34 PM
We fished Pit 4 for a few days and the bite was fairly slow/modest for this time of year. Visibility seemed about normal for this stretch and flows were around 420. Water was nice and cool with nighttime temps around freezing. Saturday was howling with downed branches and whitecaps on the water. Sunday warmed up and we had mixed results with mostly smaller fish - except for the 20" sucker I skull-hooked. A few Oct caddis, maybe one isonychia, a few BWO's and sporadic caddis. The money was on #8 brown rubberlegs and #10 dark lords as well as green caddis larva. Good luck, maybe the fishing will improve in the coming days. Fly Shop re Pit 5: "fish it and you will die"

Pics: Pit 5 (raging), Pit 4 bow, Pit 4, Action at the campground, Fly shop board. Image res sucks but I don't think the forum will allow higher res images?

Mickey
10-17-2017, 07:14 PM
Do you think the front moving through on Thursday will dirty up 3 or 4 for this weekend?

Pupa
10-17-2017, 09:05 PM
I doubt a little rain will impact visibility. If you're lucky you might hit a nice bwo hatch.

SB Gaucho
10-17-2017, 09:10 PM
I fished up there Friday afternoon and Thursday morning for the first time. Totally get it now...1 broken rod tip, 1 broken wading staff, 1/2 inch rip in my waders, and the best 2 hours of trout fishing I've ever had on Saturday morning. I hooked a decent sized brown on my 3rd cast that came unbuttoned at my feet, laughed it off and 2 casts later landed a 16"+ bow among many others. Pretty rad river.

Fishing slowed down the rest of the day but I still found a few. Visibility was not great, maybe 2ft max. Most of my fish came on a brown rubber legs in the morning and a black AP nymph in the afternoon.

Here's a quick video I made playing with the new GoPro Quik app: https://quik.gopro.com/v/H0vTyc73dU/

Mickey
10-17-2017, 09:25 PM
I've made 40 or so trips up there over the years but it's been awhile. Hesitant to head up solo but it truly is my favorite river to fish. Dark lords, black ap's and black pits have always worked for me till 11am or so then pick back up in the evening. Thanks for replies and sharing the vid.

Tinsley
10-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Hi,

I am planning to be at the Pit this weekend as well (Saturday and/or Sunday). Let me know if you want to team up - it is good to have company when fishing in this river.

Best,

Tom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-19-2017, 09:51 AM
We just updated our Pit River report @ Kiene's......

It is not easy to get good, accurate feedback on the Pit River.

https://www.reports.americanflyfishing.com/pit-river

Mickey
10-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Tom, that sounds like a winner to me. Pm sent.

Mickey
10-22-2017, 06:15 AM
Tinsley and I fished Pit 3 on Saturday. Visibility was around 3 feet and looked like typical Pit river water. Flows were fine and the river was wadable with a staff, we crossed in a few locations. Lots of grabs, landed about half. A few real toads but most were the typical Pit rainbow. A homebrew black ap, dark lords and prince all in 14's were the only fly's needed.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2017, 06:26 AM
Sounds like all is good Mickey.....thanks.

Mickey
10-22-2017, 06:56 AM
Hah, I'll figure that out in another day or two when I know if I caught poison oak or not.

On a side note, I'm retiring next year and moving out of state, heading to Northern Michigan. That very well could have been my last trip to the Pit short of a light winter and low spring flows. I had a Bjorin of a day so it's all smiles.

I started fishing the Pit in 1990/91? with death hikes up the canyon in 4. Pit 4 always guaranteed a case of poison oak, I look at it and catch it, but also lots of fish and no people. I eventually found my happy place fishing specific portions of Pit 5 until they raised the flows.

I had only fished Pit 3 once before but sought other water after seeing all the people. This was my first time back to Pit 3 in 15-20 years. Watching some others fish I did notice that it seems people are intimidated with the flows and wading conditions. It's understandable considering I've broken my wrist twice on that river while walking on submerged greased bowling balls. People unwilling to cross the river or wade aggressively bypass a LOT of good water. I was not able to criss cross like the pre-high flows of Pit 5 but it was close.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-22-2017, 06:24 PM
Why Northern Michigan?

Where you grew up?

Or have grandkids there?

Probably great hunting and fishing up there.

Mickey
10-22-2017, 07:00 PM
My wife is originally from the Cheboygan area and still has family there. The wife and I both lived there for a short time after we were married back in 1989. Housing and land is also affordable. There are a lot of fishing opportunities ranging from salmon and steelhead on down to little brookies and other non trout "stuff". I'm really looking forward to the move.

Morgan
10-23-2017, 08:15 AM
My wife is originally from the Cheboygan area and still has family there. The wife and I both lived there for a short time after we were married back in 1989. Housing and land is also affordable. There are a lot of fishing opportunities ranging from salmon and steelhead on down to little brookies and other non trout "stuff". I'm really looking forward to the move.

There are not steelhead in Michigan. Just lake run rainbows ;)