PDA

View Full Version : Yuba :(

E.Drucker
10-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Went out this AM to the Yuba for the first time since last fall. It reminds me of a 3D image that someone smashed flat and made 2D.

All the holding water, edges are smash into one long flat run. Ugh..so sad.

I also saw one, sad solitary Salmon looking for friends. Kinda reminded me of that Ginuwine song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibzpOPjWzkw)...I'm just a bachelor, looking for a partner....Ride it, my pony.

Caught a half dozen 8-11" fish. Left dejected.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-13-2017, 04:32 PM
I guess this is a natural thing to happen.

Most bugs and fish must be way down stream because of the high flows.

This is a common thing in New Zealand when they have high water years.

Their trout are big enough to be spotted by helicopter.

E.Drucker
10-13-2017, 08:48 PM
are you saying we need to go fish spot the lower stretches of the Yuba via Helicopter? Shotgun!

PV_Premier
10-15-2017, 03:25 PM
NZ also has 100-300 fish per mile in many rivers. Whereas I'd guess the Yuba typically has 1000-3000. Don't get me wrong I would love it if the Yuba had 100-300 and they were NZ sized.

yubaman
10-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Damn, I was hoping to hear something different about the Yuba! My guess is we need a little gravel pushing by nature to get the river into shape. When was the last big event . . . 2005, or was it 2007? I don't remember, but in 3 years, the Yuba was rocking once again. Hopefully it's some short term pain for the long term gain. I too agonize over losing all of that nice water to the long straight-shot runs that are there now.