PDA

View Full Version : East Walker/EC/WC Fishing Update

cdevine
10-13-2017, 11:28 AM
Magical time of the year on the eastern size. Cold, crisp mornings and dwindling crowds. Put that extra layer on because its into the 20's now at night in most places in the eastern sierra. The fall colors around hope valley, June lake, and EC are just beautiful. Take it all in.

East Walker flows are now at 172 CFS which is the best they've been in years for this time of the year. I love this river between 100-200 CFS. I could finally cross! Water temps are down into the mid 50's pretty much all day and the great flows all summer has helped this place thrive once again. I put away the nymph game and it was meat and potatoes time on the streamer outfit. Don't bother going 2-3x with your feathers. I was using 1x and these browns/bows are not shy. They are aggressively attacking right now. There are some baetis nymphs in the system as well right now and of course midges. I fooled one guy on a hopper but it was lucky.

EC- Water is perfect at 125-140 CFS and there are a lot of stocked fish in the system. A really good time to take a younger novice. Egg patters, princes, copper johns all getting grabs.

WC- I just was in awe of the colors. I didn't fish it. Such a lovely stream this time of year.

Enjoy the fall! 134971349813499

cdevine
10-29-2017, 08:04 AM
Update:

Not much changing over in Eastern Sierra last couple weeks. Warm dry days and very cold nights. Daytime temps have been hovering close to 70 degrees. Water temps on the EW are down in to the mid 50's and fish are very active willing to chase streamers in light colors like yellow, white, and grey. Flows are now at 134 CFS which is perfect for fall fishing. Pressure is light to moderate. I've been getting a good mix of rainbows along with some pretty nice browns. Seems like most of the smaller guys are slowing down. Browns are starting to do their thing so wade cautiously and leave them alone. In terms of bugs baetis nymphs in 16-18, some scuds in about size 16, and midges. Cloudy days expect some noses peaking slurping BWO's.

Weather pattern expected to change later next week with rain, snow, and wind arriving to the sierra. Doesn't mean the fish won't be eating.... Just dress accordingly.

Fall colors probably peaked a week or so ago. This front will most likely clear the last of the remaining leaves off. Hope you got to enjoy the colors.

cdevine
11-23-2017, 09:44 AM
11-22-17 Update.
The EW is a boney 50 CFS and getting down to winter flows. I love this river around 150-200. Pressure was pretty moderate especially in the mile section. I like fishing the "miles" of open water below this area. A lot more medium size fish and an occasional 20 incher but the entire place is to yourself. Time to use stealth and dry dropper rigs or very light indo'.s Fish were still keying in on smaller leach style streamers along with micro stones, midges, and PT's. I didn't catch anything worth posting but a lot of smaller guys that are fun and fight like there is no tomorrow. The river has really returned after the 2013-2015 brutal drought years experienced. I can't wait for spring up there. The WW in the canyon is another winter option now. Bigger flows and open water with very light pressure. This section opened up last year by fish and game. C&R only. The EC below hangman is a cloudy and running higher with the blowout and snow melt experiencing. I would wait a few days if you are heading in that area. (Its pretty brownish)

Have a great thanksgiving.

cdevine
12-02-2017, 12:46 PM
12-1
Another update from the East. Well, I would say winter style has settled into the EW. Didn't have any chasers on leeches, streamers, etc. Fish have migrated to pools and softer winter water. Its still boney at 50 CFS but Bridgeport Reservoir is very full. I think they may have to release some more water before the winter freezer her over.
I had most success on dry dropper rig and used lots of stealth. Fish were keying on micro mays, micro stones, and rainbow warriors. Probably time to leave her alone until flows come up. The EC looked amazing. Flows dropped and cleared up fine. I actually kicked myself for not fishing it. Very little traffic on the east side. You might see another angler or 2. That is it.