PDA

View Full Version : Catgut Caddis (Wet Look)

SST Flies
10-03-2017, 01:23 PM
Natural catgut might be the greatest material for a realistic look!

https://i.imgur.com/4oj1x7h.jpg?1

Mark Kranhold
10-03-2017, 01:47 PM
The real deal! Lifelike!!!!!!

Jeff C.
10-03-2017, 02:59 PM
Excellent John!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-03-2017, 03:24 PM
Looks alive.......nice.

Woodman
10-04-2017, 08:54 PM
What's the source...other than my wife and daughter's three cats.

Idadon
10-05-2017, 05:24 AM
Pretty sure they don't actually use CATS as the source. More likely cattle gut or sheep gut. Might can still get it at a musical instrument store. If my memory still serves me catgut was used to string tennis rackets as well as string instruments. Not sure if it's still in use or not.

Question for SST: do you wet this and stretch it before tying? How durable is this body going to be after being submerged? Do you coat the catgut with some sort of sealer like UV Cement? Wondering if a person could dye it.

This is reaching back to my Father's stash but I think I remember him using catgut for something. Maybe Tippet material but I recall him soaking it overnight so it would relax. That's way back there in the 50's. Great looking fly!!

MTaylor
10-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Catgut is made from strips of intestine of sheep or goats. Readily available from European online fly shops. Found this U.S. supplier with a quick Google search, they may be more.
http://www.castersonlineflyshop.com/l4ff-catgut-biothread/

SST Flies
10-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Medical suppliers will generally have suturing thread (biothread) in bulk However, several fly tying retailers are now carrying it in various caddis colors. The only downfall might be the material is biodegradable. Still worth it IMO!

To tie the material only soak the amount needed for just a few minutes to soften it...

Odonata
10-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Medical suppliers will generally have suturing thread (biothread) in bulk However, several fly tying retailers are now carrying it in various caddis colors. The only downfall might be the material is biodegradable. Still worth it IMO!

To tie the material only soak the amount needed for just a few minutes to soften it...

I ordered some from Competitive Angler (I think the "competitive" part of the name refers to price :) ), should arrive in the mail today ...