PDA

View Full Version : Galvan Torque Reel

BumpBailey
09-27-2017, 06:17 AM
Looking to see if there is a simple fix for my Galvan Torque T-8 reel. It seems as though my drag is stuck. I can't get the drag to lighten up. For ease of description, on a scale of 1-10 my drag feels like it is stuck on 9.....

Trying to avoid sending it back to Galvan for them to fix as i am hoping to use it this weekend....

Any ideas?????

bigfly
09-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Call Galvan....
you may get a loaner or they may have a temp fix.
They are great folks who can/will help.

Jim

Morgan
09-27-2017, 06:05 PM
Loosen that thing up..I have 2 galvans that do this.
Their customer service is great.
But I dont see how people are so gaga over the reels when they have consistent issues freezing up.
Pos reels imo.

Darian
09-27-2017, 07:26 PM
That's quite a blanket condemnation of all Galvan Reels. My partner and I've used them on my rods and on our guides rods for lots of Black Bass and Stripers without issue of sticking drags and I've seen them used in Baja without issue as well. I'm not saying that can't occur but it certainly doesn't occur every time or on every Galvan reel....

Lance Gray
09-27-2017, 09:49 PM
I use Galvan's all the time I have tons of them. new to old they have never failed me.

Awesome reel. Send it back and the folks at Galvan will take care of it.

NCL
09-28-2017, 06:13 AM
I use Galvan reels almost exclusively and have only had one problem. I called Galvan they explained they had gotten a bad batch of grease for the drag system which caused the problem. I sent the reel in and it was repaired. If I remember correctly the turn around time was only about a week.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-28-2017, 06:42 AM
Someone will have troubles with any brand fly reel and it effects them personally but overall they seem to work for many.

EricO
09-28-2017, 09:54 AM
I guess it's different strokes for everyone. I have two Galvan's, older ones. An OB3 and an absolute
beat to crap OB4...it was green around 10 years ago, now it's green with metal chips and scratches.

The drag has never failed me once. Caught some hogs with it too....this was my biggest Truckee
fish about four years ago (just for sh** and giggles). The reel was a screamin'

Eric

Jake O
09-28-2017, 10:30 AM
I have a Galvan Torque or Rush--can't remember which one. I also had a problem with the drag, my issue is it would go from tight to free spooling. After losing way to many fish because of it I finally sent it back to Galvan and they were a pleasure to work with, fixed It ,and fixed it fast. Only problem was/is about three months after using it again, same issue. Have not sent it back yet. Moral of story, in my experience great customer service, but unfortunately their product has had some issues for me.

Morgan
10-04-2017, 04:06 PM
I have a Galvan Torque or Rush--can't remember which one. I also had a problem with the drag, my issue is it would go from tight to free spooling. After losing way to many fish because of it I finally sent it back to Galvan and they were a pleasure to work with, fixed It ,and fixed it fast. Only problem was/is about three months after using it again, same issue. Have not sent it back yet. Moral of story, in my experience great customer service, but unfortunately their product has had some issues for me.

Thank you!
I have the same issues. 2 different galvan reels. Both have been returned and fixed. Both still seize up.
Time to go back in the mail I guess.

cdevine
10-04-2017, 05:06 PM
ERICO- Great fish... Why not post it right!

I'm a Ross guy. First reels I owned and they've always treated me right. They get beat to death and still work for me. Also for most fishing I do (midsize to smaller streams/creeks) drag is a little overrated. Steelies,Bonefish, Salmon, and big rivers like Sac I can see.

EricO
10-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Hey CD,

Ya, I think drags are overrated too, cept for maybe steelhead or saltwater fish. If I can get them
in without the drag, I'll just strip em in, but gets harder with bigger fish, so those go on the reel.

That fish was long ago, so i don't pull em out of the water like that anymore. Live and learn.
Even though the fish did bolt out of my hands.

I only have one Ross ...the Gunnison. Been a really good reel. Beat the heck out of it.
Although it does have a "clackety clack" sounds as you reel in, so that kind of annoys me
but the drag is money.

My go to's for quite a while now are the OB3 and OB4 Galvan's. They take a lickin and
keep on tickin. At least for me. :)

Eric

tascaso
10-08-2017, 07:47 PM
I have a T-8 and a T-10 that I have use in fresh and salt water. I have now had them for about 8 years, a quick rinse in fresh water and they are still like new.

bigfly
10-09-2017, 11:52 AM
I think if you hook something 7-8+ Lbs on the T, you better have a good drag.....and have your track shoes on.....
Only as you approach Walter class fish do you find out how important a smooth drag is.

Jim