PDA

View Full Version : Rogue River has been good.....more feedback.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-27-2017, 04:47 AM
"Hi Bill

Rogue River on Sunday....... about 22”..... quick pic back in the water and off she went.

Four aerial displays and one run upriver.

David P."

STEELIES/26c3
09-27-2017, 10:44 PM
"Hi Bill

Rogue River on Sunday....... about 22”..... quick pic back in the water and off she went.

Four aerial displays and one run upriver.

David P."

Nice fish but....

HIYA SANDY!

SAY! HOW YA' DOIN' GIL?

OH, PRETTY SANDY, SANDY...

WELL HATE TO CUT IT SHORT BUT LOOKS LIKE THAT GUY GOT MY PHOTO SO I'M OUTA HERE...

FLOOOOOOOO! WOW AM I EVER HAPPY TO SEE YOU FLO.

I FEEL YA GIL

FLO~!!! OOH OOOHHOO OHOOOOOOO, STOP. THAT TICKLES

C'MON GIL... IT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU ALIVE NOW ROLL WITH ME HERE AND BE HEALTHY AND FREEEEEEEEEEE

YAH, I S'POSE I'D BETTER GO WITH YA FLOW; I DON'T WANNA GET TIED DOWN AGAIN....

'CUZ EVERYONE KNOWS A FISH IS MORE DANDY WHEN 'GILL' DOESN'T GET CAUGHT UP WITH SANDY...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Our Steelhead/Salmon category is......................?

CA DF&G biologist said that sport fishing had no measurable effect on fish populations.

PV_Premier
09-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Nice fish but....

HIYA SANDY!

SAY! HOW YA' DOIN' GIL?

OH, PRETTY SANDY, SANDY...

WELL HATE TO CUT IT SHORT BUT LOOKS LIKE THAT GUY GOT MY PHOTO SO I'M OUTA HERE...

FLOOOOOOOO! WOW AM I EVER HAPPY TO SEE YOU FLO.

I FEEL YA GIL

FLO~!!! OOH OOOHHOO OHOOOOOOO, STOP. THAT TICKLES

C'MON GIL... IT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU ALIVE NOW ROLL WITH ME HERE AND BE HEALTHY AND FREEEEEEEEEEE

YAH, I S'POSE I'D BETTER GO WITH YA FLOW; I DON'T WANNA GET TIED DOWN AGAIN....

'CUZ EVERYONE KNOWS A FISH IS MORE DANDY WHEN 'GILL' DOESN'T GET CAUGHT UP WITH SANDY...

TL;DR - Don't lay your fish on the dirt for pictures. Keep 'em wet.

winxp_man
09-28-2017, 02:42 PM

CA DF&G biologist said that sport fishing had no measurable effect on fish populations.

Commercial fishing for big numbers is what is taking a toll on fish numbers. Not sport guys (well in by books sport guys that do it by the damn book) that take big numbers ie snaggers and guys that are out there taking a daily limit three, four times a day. But hey what do I know........!

JasonB
09-28-2017, 08:25 PM

Probably true in a big picture sense, but it still makes sense to handle our fish with care and respect. I know I'm not the only one who has seen fish killed by poor handling on the part of sport anglers (saw several bright but dead steelhead on the river bottom recently on the lower Rogue). We could all probably do our part to set good examples for others, but I also hope we don't overly chastise those who do offer to share some pics that may not live up to the highest of standards. Not bashing anyone here, and I do like to see some nice fish pics during those times I can't get to fish myself. I have to say that seeing pics of fish layed on rocks or shore don't really do it for me though; it would be great to see a lot more pics of fish that look a bit more in their element...
JB

winxp_man
09-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Probably true in a big picture sense, but it still makes sense to handle our fish with care and respect. I know I'm not the only one who has seen fish killed by poor handling on the part of sport anglers (saw several bright but dead steelhead on the river bottom recently on the lower Rogue). We could all probably do our part to set good examples for others, but I also hope we don't overly chastise those who do offer to share some pics that may not live up to the highest of standards. Not bashing anyone here, and I do like to see some nice fish pics during those times I can't get to fish myself. I have to say that seeing pics of fish layed on rocks or shore don't really do it for me though; it would be great to see a lot more pics of fish that look a bit more in their element...
JB

A couple years back I was at sailor bar watching the "fly guys" or rather said "Bobber guys" (Hahaha) fishing during steelhead season... one guy pulls up a fish that was dark. Let's it flop around like crazy on the rocks. Then pulls out a camera after a bit of time of flop wars with the fish. Takes a pic and releases it! I thought he was going to keep it. Nope let it go. Had a face palm moment O_o !! I can't find a reason for such acts! But there are always some that do it. Try to keep em wet if you are going to release a fish!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-29-2017, 07:14 PM
I have fished barbless for everything since 1975 and almost never touch the fish.

I do like to get a very quick picture once and a while though.

I think it has made it easier for many to let fish go if they can get a good picture of them.

Wild fish are precious so we need to be very careful with them.

We need to help educate others without alienating or offending them.

I also think it is OK to keep a fish on occasion and eat it fresh.

As long as people go by the fish and game laws I guess we can't say too much to them.

STEELIES/26c3
09-30-2017, 12:35 AM
I am of the mind that (as Bill said) sport fishing and even harvesting daily limits has absolutely no negligible effect on a fishery which is sustained primarily by artificial means (hatcheries).

I personally harvest quite a few fish on the American; most chrome salmon I catch, several steelhead I catch and some striper but only those under 10lbs... I know that the hatchery will get its quota of eggs and that the in-river production is negligible and other limiting factors make angler harvest a moot point.

However, I do not EVER remove a fish from the water to get a photo unless I intend to kill and eat it.

Regardless if a fish is hatchery or native, I will always handle any fish I plan to release with utmost care and respect because it gives the fish the best odds.

I don't like to be preachy and so I made up the creative/funny (?) little anecdotal story about 2 fish.

It was my way of making a positive suggestion in a fun rather than harsh/judgemental way...

PEACE OUT ;)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-30-2017, 06:22 AM
Thanks Steelies

I think we are all passionate about our fishing and I appreciate your honest feedback.

I was a pretty much catch-n-release guy for a long time but now that I have grand children I want them to be able to eat a few fresh fish once and a while to experience it.

POPPOP
09-30-2017, 07:29 AM
Death of our fisheries (causes)
1. Petroleum products ( gasoline, diesel and motor oil)
2. Roads (asphalt process)
3. Wood (logging practices)
4. Industrial processes ( carbon, boron and synthetics)
5. Government

If you drove to the river, put on your waders, rainproof coat, boots and took out your custom fly rod, reel, plastic fly line, synthetic fly or voted for Jerry Brown you to may have contributed to the death of our fishery.
If you walk to the river naked carrying the bamboo fly rod you built out of the bamboo you grew, the wooden reel you carved and the fly you tied made out of the feathers you picked up along the way on to the line you wove and the gut leader you have have not contributed to the death of or fisheries.
PS. Please don't pee in the river.
I apologize for the pic and I assure the steelhead I catch will never touch the bank again. Good Luck and Tight fly lines to all

STEELIES/26c3
09-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Death of our fisheries (causes)
1. Petroleum products ( gasoline, diesel and motor oil)
2. Roads (asphalt process)
3. Wood (logging practices)
4. Industrial processes ( carbon, boron and synthetics)
5. Government

If you drove to the river, put on your waders, rainproof coat, boots and took out your custom fly rod, reel, plastic fly line, synthetic fly or voted for Jerry Brown you to may have contributed to the death of our fishery.
If you walk to the river naked carrying the bamboo fly rod you built out of the bamboo you grew, the wooden reel you carved and the fly you tied made out of the feathers you picked up along the way on to the line you wove and the gut leader you have have not contributed to the death of or fisheries.
PS. Please don't pee in the river.
I apologize for the pic and I assure the steelhead I catch will never touch the bank again. Good Luck and Tight fly lines to all

One thing I have learned is that none of us are perfect or pure. And there are gradations of ethics and no such thing as a single line between right and wrong. I do my best to take care of the fish but I also kill and eat many fish from our local river. I have had well known/liked guys on this forum call me out, in a roundabout sort of way, for harvesting fish. In one member's eyes *he is strictly catch and release) I must seem like a serial killer...

I once lifted an 8lb 'wild' spring steelhead out of the water for a fast 3 seconds and 2 shutter clicks for a photo and had a game warden and good friend of mine call me out on it. It really bothered me for several days until I could meet with said warden and discuss it with him...

My guess is that you probably caught that fish and you were thinking about the quickest and easiest way to get a photo of her without banging her head against rocks. You probably took the photo really fast and held her in the water until she was clear of sand, rested and able to shoot off on her own and with force and she's probably swimming around laughing about it now.

The fact that you came on here and assumed a name to make a post about it says more about your integrity than the fish photo so Thank you David.

Had you posted the photo and report yourself, I would have sent you a private message with a subtle suggestion about keeping it in the water.

Anyway, I'm not really a fish Nazi any more than you are a trout abuser ;)

I wish you all the best and I cannot say the same for Gov. Brown...

POPPOP
09-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Thanks Steelie I think along the same line as you. I do keep a couple fresh salmon a year, a couple stripers and a couple black bass a year and enjoy eating them. I don't keep trout or steelhead unless I see blood. I always crush the barb and hope the fish gets off at my feet. Maybe will meet on the river but I won't talk politics. At my age I only fish weekdays. Good luck and see ya on the river

Ard
10-01-2017, 01:42 PM
Regarding fish pictures I've turned away from the picture with the angler in them other than hands. Let's face it, when you take a fishing trip and bring home pictures both you and anyone you share them with knows who is in the pictures or who's trip it was.

In the water trumps all other shots.

http://akflyfishingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Enicar0276.jpg

http://akflyfishingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Silver-Blushed0770.jpg

http://akflyfishingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1044.jpg

http://akflyfishingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/1022.jpg

No one can bust on you for photos like those unless they are being unreasonable.

http://akflyfishingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Keni-Anchor-Trip0970.jpg

When I see fish photos wherein the fish is out of the water but going to be released I cringe. Here it's against the regulations to remove them but many do.