PDA

View Full Version : Fall Eastern Sierra Update

cdevine
09-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Well, it seemed like fall was forgotten and a winter blast happened last week. A decent amount of sept snow hit most of the sierra's with almost a foot above 10k feet. I hit a few squalls going over monitor pass but nothing crazy. Of course its back to normal fall type weather this week and actually we should see some pretty warm days in the 70's at 6-7k feet. Bring a jacket because its still dropping below freezing in the am.

I got out to the EW and its in great shape and continues to produce quality and quantity. Flows are 235 CFS which makes for a little easier wading but still challenging to find crossing opportunities below 182 bridge and into Nevada. I focused my attention below the mile where crowds are sparse and bushwhacking is plentiful. Water temps are hovering around 60 degrees now and should start falling into the upper 50's within the next couple weeks. Water clarity is typical EW stained color.

Hoppers are almost done. The few deep freezes nuked most of them. Not much in terms of bug life on the water with exception of midges. It was time to strip streamers and see what was lurking. Anything in black seemed to attract attention the day I was out. It was a cloudy day so that old saying I guess works. I also had some luck on PT's, dark lords, and red zebra midge.134191342013421

A few pics attached.

Enjoy fall and hopefully you can hit the water.