PDA

View Full Version : In South Dakota for 2 weeks.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-22-2017, 07:49 AM
We are in Platte, South Dakota again visiting Marilyn's relatives here where she was born and lived until 8 years old.

As it cools off here the Smallmouth and Walleye come up to the shallower water to feed heavily before winter here.

They have big Walleye tournaments here in the dammed up Missouri river's giant deep long (50 miles) impoundments.

Top local anglers here call it the second season which is nice because the kids are in school and many other will be hunting now.

The hunting and fishing in South Dakota is very good and reminds me of how it was in Nor Cal 50 years ago.

In October thousands will come here for the famous pheasant season.

Lots of deer around here....white tail and mule deer too.

Later is ducks and especially geese will be in all these harvested crop fields.

We have many farm ponds too with Large Mouth Bass planted generations ago.

When ever I come I convert one or two anglers to fly fishing on these family farm ponds.

One of the family "ponds" is the second largest privately owned reservoir in the state which is 120 feet deep at the dam.

A few springs ago, one evening I had the best top water action in my life wading a big flat on this lake.

I landed a dozen or more LMB that went 3 to 5 pounds on a big hair bug.

It was kind of like Redfishing or Bonefishing on a big firm shallow sandy flat with fish waking around eating everything in sight.

lee s.
09-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Hey Bill,
Sounds like a grand place to be, for sure......friends, food, AND fish. Can't beat that!
Boss sent us north of Clearlake for a load Thursday A.M. so we arrived Wed. P.M. After parking the truck in the field below the dam, we pulled out our "truck" rod and proceeded to pester the pond residents. Several LM's in the 2 1/2-4 1/2 lb range came to hand that evening on a frog immi we use. The next A.M. after loading the several trucks it was back to the pleasures at the pond with a 1" minnow immi popper for some more LM's and MANY large aggressive BG's. An underwater minnow immi produced more of the same with a bonus 8+ lb. catfish.
Farm ponds ARE grand....
....lee s.