PDA

View Full Version : Webber and Independence Lakes update

John Sv
09-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Hi,
Webber has cooled off sufficiently so that the fish are back on top. Independence is fishing better than before but is always slow for fly fishermen. It has been really windy so check the forecast. Generally if there is 10-15s for Tahoe it will be ripping at both Webber and Independence. Not necessarily bad for fishing but it makes for rough boating. On Independence the marina is shut down if it is too windy.
BTW the Webber campground has decent availablity until the Oct 15 closing.
Thanks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-21-2017, 06:19 AM
Thanks John......

EricO
09-28-2017, 01:49 PM
Hey John,

Is the fly of choice for Webber Lake pretty much Wooly Buggers?

Any type of Callibaetis mayfly hatch that comes off there?

Eric

John Sv
09-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Yes Callibaetis are present and when the fish are rising ( they are now), they'll take an Adams parachute.

Some people fish a #12 Sheep Creek all year pretty well.

An olive copr head bugger in an #8 is the ticket if they are not too deep to fly fish for but aren't on or near the top.

It can be a 3 fly fishery.

People do well trolling small Dick Nite's or Needlefish, so maybe a shiny Zonked trolled slowly?

Jake B
09-28-2017, 07:27 PM
I spent the weekend at Webber Lake at the beginning of the month. Campsites are awesome. Very clean and was shocked that there was no carving or graffiti on the picnic tables. We loved it there and a great family campsite.

I fished a Wooly Bugger in olive with a black Copper John. Caught fish on both And good luck keeping the fingerlings off the hook. Some actually hit so hard it surprised me. Anyways beautiful place and felt comfortable keeping pram on shore for the weekend. Most campers we met were from sf.

Good luck

EricO
09-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Great info, thanks guys.

Eric

cyama
06-09-2019, 12:14 AM
Hey John I think you are running and working at Webber and Independence lakes. Is there a website for reservations at Webber? Any updates on the Henness Pass Road. Do you need a snowmobile...

John Sv
06-09-2019, 02:43 PM
Hey John I think you are running and working at Webber and Independence lakes. Is there a website for reservations at Webber? Any updates on the Henness Pass Road. Do you need a snowmobile...

Hi,
You can get to Webber. The Lake is iced out and the ramp will be ready this week if not today. We are plowing out campsites to be partially open this weekend. For info you can call (530) 587-CAMP or visit www.tdlandtrust.org and click "Webber Lake Reservations" on the left of the screen. We will not have potable water up and running yet as we are still getting it permitted with the State. The Lake is set to be stocked with LCT this coming week, lots of 3-to-the-pound fish with a bunch of Heenan stock "super catchables". In addition there are plenty of holdovers and wild fish. I have not fished but hear it is good, although the fish are not looking up yet.

I'm not sure past Webber. On the way to Webber the road is one lane still but will melt soon. Usually there is one big drift past the Webber turnoff even though Jackson might be bone dry. I received message that Jackson's campgrounds are not open yet. Will update as soon as I know more.

Independence Lake- you can get there, there are kayaks available for use, and we are trying to have motorboats available for Father's Day weekend. Then it should alternate motors/non motors every other week. Check this link in the future for the motorboat schedule. Currently it is 2018 and will be updated when we get the motorboats sorted. http://tdlandtrust.org/sites/default/files/image/2018%20Motor%20Boat%20Calendar.jpg
Thanks and thanks for the heads up on this thread Bill!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Thanks again John......looks like the mid-elevation lakes are going to be good.

cyama
06-09-2019, 06:01 PM
Thanks John! The website looks great! Sounds like you are busy getting the place all spruced up after a long snow season. Keep up the good work! So I had to look up what a super catchable trout is and DFG says it is a trout from 1-3 pounds.

Bkane
06-10-2019, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the info!

John Sv
06-12-2019, 04:16 PM
Webber was Stocked today with super (duper) catchables! Can't seem to upload the pix but we saw one 2 footer go in at least.

Independence Lake: Regarding the free-to-use in-basin boat fleet: This Saturday to next Friday will be a motor boat week. The week after will be non motorized, and that will alternate every other week for the summer. Non motorized is a go every week.

EricO
06-14-2019, 01:53 PM
Hi John,

Is fishing in Lacey Creek allowed?

Thanks,
Eric

John Sv
06-14-2019, 02:22 PM
Hi John,

Is fishing in Lacey Creek allowed?

Thanks,
Eric

yep it is!

EricO
06-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Awesome. Just booked two nights next weekend with a meadow view.

Stoked! Thanks for posting all this information John. And you can't
beat 2 hours door to door!

Eric

John Sv
06-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Awesome. Just booked two nights next weekend with a meadow view.

Stoked! Thanks for posting all this information John. And you can't
beat 2 hours door to door!

Eric
Have fun out there. Generally lacey is better about mid way up. It is intermittent below and above. Small brookies in a beautiful setting. Lower you can get fish running out of the lake but it is hit or miss. Bear with us please, the potable water system is not up and running so you need to bring your own. Fixing that is on the to do list. Thanks! Oh , ps, bug juice will likely be a must next week...

EricO
06-15-2019, 08:19 AM
Thank John, I always bring my own water anyways. Good info on Lacey, looking
forward to seeing the area. Good call on the bug juice!

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-16-2019, 06:14 AM
Web site......

http://tdlandtrust.org/webber-lakelacey-meadows

YouTube videos......

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=webber+lake+campground

PV_Premier
06-16-2019, 02:39 PM
I flew in over this area last night on landing in Sacramento and got a good look at the landscape. Meadow Lake is still completely iced over as well as the surrounding small higher elevation lakes, French Lake is mostly clear of ice. Quite a bit of snow above 7500’ but below that the roads appeared to be passable from the air.

EricO
06-24-2019, 03:09 PM
Hi All,

So we arrived Friday afternoon and stayed until noon on Sunday at Webber lake.

Wind was brutal on Friday, but Saturday weather was nice in the afternoon.
Lots of pontoons on the lake...some with nice setups...fish finders, electric
trolling motors, foot paddles etc.

I was in full chill mode but my wife went out in the kayaks with her friend. She didn't
get any pulls on the bugger and intermediate line.

The guys that could get deep enough were catching fish, but tough to get deep
with fly gear. I talked to three guys that had two rods apiece and they
couldn't get to the fish...he said they were 25 feet +.

We did see some rings Sunday morning so the fish were definitely near the surface.
By the time my wife got out there there wasn't much going on. My buddy talked to
a guy that said he got close to 50 fish...but again, he had the gear to go deep.

Nice campsites, gorgeous views..Montana-esque in Lacey Meadow. We did hike into the Meadow
with the 2 and 3 wts but didn't scare up anything...could still be a tad too cold as the mountains
still have a decent amount of snow. There were snow drifts in the shade in some parts.

Nice place though and only two hours from Sac. Next time we would probably camp
at the West C.G. (not the North) as the sites have very pretty lake views.

The mosquitos were BRUTAL. You need a ton of bug juice like John said. They
swarmed us upon arrival...even in the bright sun.

Eric

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-24-2019, 04:16 PM
Thanks Eric.......great report.......would be interesting to get some water temperature readings.

John Sv
06-24-2019, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you had a nice time - thanks for supporting us. West side, sites have a better lake view, but I like the breeze in the north sites. Bugs are bad for about another 2 weeks but then it really mellows out.

Coppins creek, the little creek that runs behind the north campground, was fat with trout this week. It all but dries up in summer but there's fish in their now!